Protein question

Options
How bad is it for you if you go over the recommended amount of daily protein that is suggested by MFP? I find that I am happier and more full when I eat protein (which eliminates me trying to snack on junk food when I'm hungry).

What do yall think?

Replies

• Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    You can set your own ratios; I altered mine to 40 % protein and 30 % carbs and fats because I find that I function best while losing weight with that ratio; you don't have to follow the macronutrient breakdown they recommend if a high protein diet works best for you, just adjust the ratio so you don't overdo it with the other macros too :)
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I think going over on protein is great - the MFP recommendation is really pretty low. I know there are quite a few people on here (not just body builder types either) that eat 80g,100g, even more per day. I've seen people talk about needing more protein along with strength training (something like 1g per lb of lean body weight I think?) to try and limit the amount of muscle that might be lost during weightloss, so I shoot for at least 100g protein per day.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    You are perfectly fine and I strongly feel that MFP (standard) protein allowances are set rather low.
  • veggievixen79
    veggievixen79 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I usually go over my protein allowances too, and I'm vegetarian!

How do you change your ratios? I can't work it out.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I think the protein on here is pretty low... and as long as you are exercising I do not think you can really go over.
  • gymjimdandy
    Options
    i don't think it is a problem at all, as long as you are exercising hard so the protein can be used by your body to build muscle. Bodybuilders use a 1 gram per pound ratio, which is a bit excessive. Unused protein is hard on the liver if exercise is not incorporated with it.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I usually go over my protein allowances too, and I'm vegetarian!

How do you change your ratios? I can't work it out.

Go to 'food' at the top, then 'goals' under that, click on 'change goals' and select the 'custom' option - from there you can manually set your ratios. :-)
  • Agean42
    Options
    If you are doing any type of strength training, you should be eating at least 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight.

As an example......... if you are 150lbs you should be eating 150 grams of protein.

It will also reduce muscle loss while on a calorie deficit.
  • sassy1750lady
    Options
    I think that if you're consuming "lean" protein, it's OK to go over the recommended amount. Especially if you're exercising at least 4xs a week. I've had a lot of success eating lean protein and losing weight while wanting to "tone" my body. I would recommend eating foods like: Greek yogurt, lean chicken breast, lean turkey, skim milk, eggs/egg whites, lowfat cottage cheese, certain whole grain breads have a good amount of protein and, of course, low fat protein shakes. Stick with the amount of calories you're supposed to, just incorporate healthy proteins into your diet so feel "full". :-)
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I also changed my ratios - I aim for more than 100 grams of protein a day.