ok so now i have protien nailed what about good sources of i

Options
whats low in calories, but high in iron for example?

Replies

• carlosdon
    Options
    meant to say iron of course ran out of letters!
  • k9hrd
    k9hrd Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    beans and eggs are high in iron. :bigsmile:
  • gymjimdandy
    Options
    Avoid iron unless you have a doctor confirmed deficiency. Iron is very detrimentasl to a man's body. Any iron you need you can get from green leafy vegetables.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Avoid Iron? o.O

Red meat, egg yolks, lentils, leafy greens, some cereals are pretty high in iron
  • svetlana_vs
    Options
    Liver (chicken one is higher, I guess... or I just like it more :-)) and spinach.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    well i'm just glad you got that protein nailed...
  • legmotor
    legmotor Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    well i'm just glad you got that protein nailed...

This ^^ Perhaps you could share how you nailed the protein intake.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Avoid iron unless you have a doctor confirmed deficiency. Iron is very detrimentasl to a man's body. Any iron you need you can get from green leafy vegetables.

WHAT??

Iron is necessary to make hemoglobin, the substance that carries oxygen through your blood to all the cells in your body. Hemoglobin is what makes red blood cells red. With insufficient iron, and therefore not enough hemoglobin, red blood cells become small and pale and don't carry enough oxygen.

Men don't need to carry oxygen to their cells??
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options

I call shenanigans. Iron is essential for transporting oxygen and carbon dioxide.

All I can say is try not to supplement because they can lead to constipation. Stick with fortified cereals, red meat, and leafy greens.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I have heard that men should not take iron supplements. Men need iron, but not in excess.

Found this article: http://www.livestrong.com/article/241733-should-men-take-iron-supplements/
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Iron overload is possible, but only if you're taking a supplement -- which should only be under a doctor's supervision. Otherwise, no danger in the amount of iron in everyday food.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Do you have any reason to believe you are deficient in iron? If not, as a man, you probably shouldn't get too worried about it if you have a balanced diet. One other random fact, cooking on cast iron skillets/grills adds iron to the food.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Do you have any reason to believe you are deficient in iron? If not, as a man, you probably shouldn't get too worried about it if you have a balanced diet. One other random fact, cooking on cast iron skillets/grills adds iron to the food.
    Makes you look tough too, like a mountain man.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Mountain men are loaded with iron.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options

My Ex is a Mountain Man. He is not loaded with anything...at all! :grumble:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

My Ex is a Mountain Man. He is not loaded with anything...at all! :grumble:

Except iron, obviously.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

WHAT??

Iron is necessary to make hemoglobin, the substance that carries oxygen through your blood to all the cells in your body. Hemoglobin is what makes red blood cells red. With insufficient iron, and therefore not enough hemoglobin, red blood cells become small and pale and don't carry enough oxygen.

Men don't need to carry oxygen to their cells??
    Men don't purge it from the bodies like women do. It is fairly easy for a man to get what is basically iron poisoning. My cousin got it and he still has to go to the doctor to basically have a bunch of blood taken out of his body to reduce his iron levels. Almost never happens for women though.
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I try and get all the iron I can from leafy greens, seeds/nuts, beans and my personal favorite, dark chocolate (or cacao).
  • carlosdon
    Options
    helpful info as usual people thanks. I didn't know too much was a problem! it's just on here being a vegetarian it usually averages about 50% of the recommended daily allowance is that enough? I take multi vitamin tablets occasionally as i top up, should I stop then?