Do you burn more calories walking in heels?

Options
2»

Replies

• angelapolite
    Options
    No, you don't. Just like you don't burn more calories when it's hot out. Certainly seems like you should be burning more because it's miserable. You do, however, get good juju for being fashionable.

Ladies, please don't brag about only being comfortable in heels. The position is unnatural and can contribute to numerous physical ailments from the soles of your feet to the top of your neck. It's fine if you look and feel great in heels, but not fine -- not normal at all -- if you basically "can't" comfortably wear flat shoes. Unhealthy body alignment and self-image isn't something we should promote here.

Interesting point about not burning more calories when it's hot. I've read that you do because your body works harder to keep you body cool...
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I burn more calories when you wear heels to walk. I have to keep staring and try to not be caught, which is hard work, which equals calorie burn for me! LOL

Hahahaha! Love this ^
  • Vermilla
    Vermilla Posts: 348
    Options
    No, you don't. Just like you don't burn more calories when it's hot out. Certainly seems like you should be burning more because it's miserable. You do, however, get good juju for being fashionable.

Ladies, please don't brag about only being comfortable in heels. The position is unnatural and can contribute to numerous physical ailments from the soles of your feet to the top of your neck. It's fine if you look and feel great in heels, but not fine -- not normal at all -- if you basically "can't" comfortably wear flat shoes. Unhealthy body alignment and self-image isn't something we should promote here.

I can't speak for anybody else who practically lives in heels, but I really can't be very comfortable in flat shoes. Growth spurt in high school made my legs all funny so I can't walk flat-footed without a crapload of pain. Heels are natural remedies to that (and likely don't help the condition but I'd rather not test that by putting myself through more of it). I wonder, though, if one doesn't already have that prediciment, if wearing high heels all the time could cause it? Anybody know?
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

You must have flat feet. Mine are very arched so they're better suited for heels-- if I wear sneakers the backs of my ankles bleed from rubbing up and down against the back of the shoe. I'm sorry heels make you so miserable but I can't understand how you would mistake differing physiologies for some sort of perverse bragging. I can't speak for others but I certainly don't do it for fashion (especially considering flats have been more in vogue these days).
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm more comfortable in (some) heels than I am in unsupportive flat shoes, like Chuck Taylors. Love how they look, but they cause foot and calf pain. But a well-fitted athletic shoe is like getting my feet hugged. :heart:

I wouldn't think you'd burn more calories in heels, though, because it's like walking downhill. :laugh:
  • tueliewomp
    tueliewomp Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You use a different set of heels
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    It's ok to wear low heel to adjust your feet but wearing over 1" heel for work out is just dumb!
  • HuzpazA
    Options

You must have flat feet. Mine are very arched so they're better suited for heels-- if I wear sneakers the backs of my ankles bleed from rubbing up and down against the back of the shoe. I'm sorry heels make you so miserable but I can't understand how you would mistake differing physiologies for some sort of perverse bragging. I can't speak for others but I certainly don't do it for fashion (especially considering flats have been more in vogue these days).

my wife has a higher arch also but she can wear just about any type of shoe without troubles. just yesterday she walked about 5 miles with me in 4 inch heels, i dont see how. i would like to see some pics of your arches, both in and out of heels. the foot is a magnificent thing.. structurally speaking.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Probably no more or less than walking in flats. But if you did it in sand.........................

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    tumblr_movob5tv2Y1rq9z74o1_400_zps596ec925.gif
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    I like how this thread was resurrected by someone wanting pictures of feet.
  • 40andFindingFitness
    Options
    My boss wears heels all the time. She was recently diagnosed with shin splints and an off-balanced hip which affected her neck (trying to compensate for the off hip). Not sure if heels caused all of the above but her doctor told her she needed to ditch them for flats. I wear a less than 3" wedge, chunky heel, or flats most of the time. I guess I'm not balanced enough to wear heels... or too much junk in my trunk, either or. :0)
  • Huzette
    Options
    i enjoy heels but dont live in them. often when i wear them for extended times its hard to switch back to regular shoes because they feel so different. i've heard and read that theres a lot of problems that come from heels but i havent noticed anything yet. they actually helps my back feel better for some reason...
  • Huzette
    Options
    I like how this thread was resurrected by someone wanting pictures of feet.

Haha, That's ok, hes mine. Hes always been interested in the shape and mechanics of the foot. Nothing perv about it, Im sure there are ppl out there who enjoy that type of thing, though.
  • jvmckay100
    Options
    I always wear heels. I think there are some things that are just worth a little pain further down the road. Makes my butt look better and me feel better about myself.

Everything "will kill you" nowadays. If wearing heels is the worst vice someone has..then so be it!
  • bluecowgirl
    Options
    I had surgery on my ankle (fractured it in jr high n surgery 1.5 yrs later cause it healed incorrectly) back in 02
    Since then when the weather changes /spring time it bothers me like arthritis does some folks. I an only wear heals at those times because flats kill my ankle. I think with flats u have greater motion which when it's inflamed it's a painful thing.
    I can walk fast n trot in heels also and so it's nice to know they don't burn more cals. But all well

Also to the person that said her back feels better afterwards u stand differently so u might stand straighter in heels and not slouched. I tend to do the same thing.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Do you burn more calories walking in heels?

I know I do. However, I stumble a lot.