Hi I am new

Options
lorro
lorro Posts: 917 Member
I have just completed my first week and lost 6 pounds :happy: Only 106 to go :frown:

I've always been overweight but after giving birth to each of my 2 kids, the problem got significantly worse.

The only time I have ever lost weight was just in the year before I split with my ex when I lost 35 pounds - misery and escaping to the gym. Other than that, I've had a few half hearted attempted which have run out of steam fairly quickly.

This time I'm more hopeful - more determined plus I need organising and the site helps with that. I'm trying the sensible way this time, healthy eating rather than a crash diet. I've heard people are more likely to lose with peer support, that's where you come in! :bigsmile:

It would be great to hear from some of you who are just starting out or who have been around a while and know the ropes.

Replies

• lorro
    Options
    I have just completed my first week and lost 6 pounds :happy: Only 106 to go :frown:

I've always been overweight but after giving birth to each of my 2 kids, the problem got significantly worse.

The only time I have ever lost weight was just in the year before I split with my ex when I lost 35 pounds - misery and escaping to the gym. Other than that, I've had a few half hearted attempted which have run out of steam fairly quickly.

This time I'm more hopeful - more determined plus I need organising and the site helps with that. I'm trying the sensible way this time, healthy eating rather than a crash diet. I've heard people are more likely to lose with peer support, that's where you come in! :bigsmile:

It would be great to hear from some of you who are just starting out or who have been around a while and know the ropes.
  • hulkj
    hulkj Posts: 218
    Options
    Welcome! Tomorrow is a month for me and I love this site! Good luck!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,987 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Welcome, Lorro,

You have come to the right place. Take the time to learn about all the features of MFP and use as many as you can. I started by planning my meals ahead of time and sticking to the plan. At first, I would watch the clock waiting for the next mealtime, but soon my body got comfortable with eating on schedule instead of all the time:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I didn't try to stick to a really low calorie plan at first but I gradually eliminated all the foods that ran my calorie count up high and found healthier food that filled me and nourished me.

I found a supportive group on the message boards and I check in with them regularly. they encourage me and I support them.

I gradually increased the amount of exercise I do and got ideas for new fitness activities from friends on MFP.

If you work at this you can do it. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Take it one day at a time and take baby steps.
  • lorro
    Options
    Thanks for the Welcome! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Barbiecat, I can see already how keeping a food log leads to selecting lower calorie food. I'm planning meals too. My appetite is already adjusting to the new diet. If only they made calorie free white wine :smile: It's the exercise where I struggle most. I have limited time to go out. I mowed the lawn today though - a small start. As you say, baby steps. Thanks :smile:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,987 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

There are all sorts of exercise DVDs. If you find one that you like you can exercise at odd times of day. My current favorite is "Sweatin' to the Oldies"

Keep putting one foot in front of the other and your journey will continue.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Welcome Lorro,

Another source for exercise video could be as near as your TV. If you have Comcast cable, and have digital service that give you access to the "On Demand" library, there are some excellent free videos. Look under sports and fitness, then exercise tv.

Don't be overwhelmed. The secret to success is to take steps you are comfortable with as you change your lifestyle. When things become 2nd nature, you can keep adding additional changes and see your health and fitness improve and your waistline contract.

One nice psychological boost is "the ticker" Under tools, you can set it up and have it show on all your posts if you wish. There are instructions available through the tech support part of the message boards, and if you can't find what you need, there are always lots of people willing to answer questions. Take a look at the community sites and find one that interests you. I have found one in particular that I like, and as it happens, Barbiecat is a great contributor and source of inspiration to us all.
  • Boopbo9
    Boopbo9 Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi I am new too. It has been a week today and it has been successful. Feel better and by accounting for my food itis really helping. I want to be successful so bad this time. :smile: :smile:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. This is the best website ever. I love it here and I think you will too. This website is so helpful, supportive, motivational, and everyone here is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to wish you a lot of success on your weight loss journey. You can do this. :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile:
  • Poohsis
    Poohsis Posts: 1
    Options
    to my fitness pal and just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Kim Brown, I am 39 years old married with 2 boys ages 21 and 19. A couple of my friends told me about this site so I thought I would give it a try, I have struggled with my weight for most of my life and I truely ready to change my life style.
  • LoveDollie
    Options
    Hi Lorro,

I am new also, with about 100 left to go as well. I have been on my own for about 8 weeks now. I have been inconsistent with online blogging as I work in IT and stare at a computer all day long. So I just can't do it at home too. So, I am going to do it at work and hopefully the lbs will fall off with support.

One of my collegues at our Corp Headquarters mentioned the site, and I am excited to be able to track more definately where my downfalls are.

R
  • lorro
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

There are all sorts of exercise DVDs. If you find one that you like you can exercise at odd times of day. My current favorite is "Sweatin' to the Oldies"

Keep putting one foot in front of the other and your journey will continue.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Cheers!:happy: Sounds better than the stuff I am trying to dance to - I'll check it out.

Weaklink - Thanks for the suggestions. I am based in the UK, so no access to those channels but I have found stuff for sale online
  • lorro
    Options
    PS to Weaklink -I found the ticker :smile:

Thanks for the encouragement lauramg. I believe I can do it this time and to be honest, I've never really believed that before. That's got to help, right? :happy: You're doing so well!

Welcome Kim. Good luck!

Hi LoveDollie. Welcome to you too. It sounds like we both could do with some support. Check your messages :)
  • lorro
    Options
    Hi I am new too. It has been a week today and it has been successful. Feel better and by accounting for my food itis really helping. I want to be successful so bad this time. :smile: :smile:

Me too. You've made a great start :smile: :smile: