Hot Chocolate?

Options
Does anyone have a yummy foolproof recipe for hot chocolate? I don't really care for the packaged mixes.....

Thanks in advance and happy hot chocolate muggin'! :drinker:

Replies

• Ashley5704
    Ashley5704 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm interested in hearing this one too. I LOVE Hot Chocolate. I always use the package mixes, but I'd love to know how to make my own.
  • 3GKnight
    3GKnight Posts: 203
    Options
    Didn't know there was anything besides the mixes. I get Krogers Dutch Chocolate mix and really like it. I'll often pour a 80 cal cup of that, rather than the 200 calorie bowl of ice cream that I really want. :)
  • sweets2001
    Options
    We usually follow the recipe on the side of Hershey's Cocoa Powder box.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I think it's Williams Sonoma that has a hot chocolate "mix" that is fine chocolate shavings as opposed to powder...mmmm...
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I like using godiva cocoa powder with steamed milk....sugar to taste. I feel like I get good flavor and can keep the sugar lower than pre packaged varieties. I just add as I go, so no recipe :(

ETA: Dagoba makes some nice cocoa powder too
  • kmcrey87
    kmcrey87 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Almond milk, Hersey's special dark cocoa powder, and stevia.
  • EroseT23
    EroseT23 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Get some cocoa powder -- the unsweetened kind. The darker the better, in my opinion.

I don't ever use exact measurements, but I'll try to give an estimate:

2 Tbsp cocoa powder
    1 Tbsp sugar (more or less to taste)
    A few drops of real vanilla extract (optional, but WOW, worth it)

Stir these together in a large mug. Heat about 1.5 cups of milk, then pour it in and stir until everything dissolves. I find it helps to pour in about half the milk and dissolve everything, then mix in the rest.

Not sure about the calorie count, but it's super yummy. And you can make it more or less chocolatey pretty easily. For extra goodness, add a shot of peppermint schnapps or some Bailey's Irish cream. All in moderation, of course. =)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    If you use Hershey's Cocoa Powder, you can make it with as much or as little sugar as you like. I don't even put sugar in my hot cocoa. Just milk and cocoa.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I use nestles quick, Mootopia fat free milk and fat free redi whip on top.......I drink it every night.
  • ShannonM816
    Options
    We usually follow the recipe on the side of Hershey's Cocoa Powder box.

That's what I use too. It's not hard to make, and tastes better than the mixes. Here's a link to the recipe, in case you don't have a can of cocoa powder in the pantry: http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/5672/"PERFECTLY-CHOCOLATE"-Hot-Cocoa.aspx

And it can be made with splenda, if you want to cut the calories from the sugar, you'll just have to play with the amount to get the sweetness you like.
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options

This! It really does work. The only thing is...it's kind of hard to sitr the cocoa powder in. I'm sure it would be easier if you made it in a sauce pan and then put it in a cup.
  • brk_1982
    brk_1982 Posts: 125 Member
    Options

I can NOT believe I never thought of this!! Thanks! :)
  • lisa_darlene9
    lisa_darlene9 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I happened to have figured out a really good Hot Chocolate recipe the other night. When my husband and I were in Italy this past Feb I was enjoying my cappucino while he had hot chocolate, but when we were served I was envious because his looked so yummy. It was thick and rich like a hot chocolate pudding,,,so off went my lightbulb on how to repeat this at home.

1 tsp (or a little less) of fat free chocolate pudding powder
    1 tbsp of dark cocoa powder
    1 tbsp of sucant (natural brown sugar)
    Place all in a small pot with a bit of milk to make a paste with the heat on medium so to blend all the powders till smooth, then add 1 1/2 cup of skim milk.
    Whisk til you can see it start to thicken. It's done when you cant wait any longer to take the first sip.
    You can add whatever kind of sweetener you like, I like the sucant or stevia. Sometimes I will add a cinnamon stick, or a drop of vanilla.
    It comes in less then 150 calories but tastes like it would take up all your calories for the day,,lol.
    It's now my guiltless pleasure :)
  • earlgreygirl09
    Options
    Yum! That sounds yummy!! Really, everyone's recipes sound good! Mmmm....can't wait to try them all!
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Ronandfranks.com has tons of low calorie hot chocolate in soooo many flavors like mint chocolate truffle, pumpkin pie, white chocolate raspberry, kuluha and cream, and tons tons more. The low calorie is made with splenda and has 20 Cals a serving but they have a large selection of regular calorie ones too. I know you said you don't prefer the mixes but I figured I'd share anyways
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'll spare you the recipe that we used when I was little. It involved unsweetened bakers chocolate, milk and condensed milk. I think I am still carrying a pound or two of hot chocolate (anecdotal not scientific conclusion for those of you immersed in the diet soda thread) from 50 years ago.
  • Patrisha148
    Patrisha148 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    2 cups of skim milk (or soy milk)
    1 1/2 cup of cocoa baking chocolate (powdered kind)
    some cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves to taste (if you're not into it then don't add it but it helps lower the amount of sugar i use)
    1/2 to 1 cup of powdered sugar or activia sugar. (it depends on your sweet tooth)

mix them all together and bring to a boil over the stove. and there you go! :)
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    My favourite is to add vanilla, cinnamon and chilli powder - Chilli chocolate is AMAZING and it increases your metabolism.
  • jowings
    jowings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    When I was kid, my Mom and Dad would make Ibarra Hot chocolate, and I had no idea that this was not the usual. I met nestle much later in life! Anyhow, you can usually find it in the "ethnic foods" aisle in "mexican-land" and it comes as a round brick that you break wedges off of and melt in a pan over the stove top. Once it is melted, you can add any kind of milk that you want! I like to kick mine up with a little bit of Kahlua ; ). I love it because it is not too sweet (don't look at the sugar!) and has the most delicious taste!

Happy hunting!
  • VinVenture
    Options
    100 g/3.5 oz chocolate bar (dark chocolate works the best)
    1 l /2 pints of milk

Break chocolate into tiny bits, heat with some water untill melted, add milk, heat up to just below boiling (steaming without bubbles) while stirring. This makes four portions.

Enjoy!