I REALLY want to go to the gym.

Options
I've had a membership at 24hr fitness in the past, well I've been wanting one again. I saw they had a deal on their website so I went into to talk to them. Well the great deal online isn't valid at that location!!!! It's the one closest to me. I want one but not willing to spend that much on it. Part time job + school = broke

i'm really dissapointed, this is just a vent for me. Thanks for reading :)

Replies

• wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Write a nice email to their corporate office. That kind of thing works wonders. 24 hour fitness is all about sales!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Find a smaller gym. Snap Fitness?
  • hajjcomb
    hajjcomb Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Is there Planet Fitness near you? $10/month.
  • shellyc7182
    shellyc7182 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    My fiance is a manager at a 24HF in the Houston area and told me about a situation exactly like yours today! (You wouldn't happen to be in The Woodlands, huh?) Any deal that is online can be honored at any location. They just have to sign you up online at the club! Probably what happened is that the membership counselor you spoke to wanted to make a sale and boost their numbers, so they told you that deal wasn't valid in the club, which is total bull! Ask for a manager if that happens again, or sign up online from home.
  • slbeutler
    Options
    I agree find a smaller, privately owned gym. They usually can negotiate a price for you that works and you won't fight the crowds that you do at 24 hour Fitness. I belonged for a short time and when I had to get there an hour early to get a spot in the cycling class, I gave up. When that class was full, every single cardio machine was also full.

Anytime Fitness is pretty reasonable, but if you want group classes you will have to look elsewhere.

Do you have a YMCA in your area? They usually offer a discount for students and have excellent equipment and classes.
  • Figuringoutme
    Options
    those gyms aren't near me.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    24 hour fitness does have some fancier clubs (like super sport, etc) that require more expensive memberships. My membership works for all active and sport clubs which is fine for me because it is what is near my house. I bet the other clubs are really neat, but I wouldn't want to pay a ton of money for something I don't really need.
  • chicago_dad
    Options
    Cheapest option: run outside (free)-- ok, buy some running gear, which you would need for the gym anyway. And, buy a set of the workout bands-- $25ish-- better than weights. Work out every morning and evening for 10 min = awesome workout.
  • EuphonyChloeH
    EuphonyChloeH Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into community rec centers that you live nearby? They may cost less and you generally only pay month to month (no contract). So, if you have an extra thirty bucks or so sometime soon, you can at least pay for a month's membership :)
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options

Do you have a YMCA in your area? They usually offer a discount for students and have excellent equipment and classes.

Wanna talk about frustrating ... the 'discounted' price at the Y here is about 85/month
  • slimnsexynside
    Options
    Is there a community center near you? Their prices are usually low. Also, you can normally get a FREE PASS from gyms to try them out. If nothing else, you'll get a few days in at a gym for free :smile:
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    does your college have a gym? I've personally never heard of a college that didn't have a gym available for students. Or at least yoga classes or something like that.
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Also, check with your local YMCA (if you have one). They have significantly reduced rates for students, since it is all income based.
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Is there a Bally's Gym near you? They're cheap, and you don't have to do a contract. If not, how about buying a kettlebell/DVD set or some hand weights with instructional DVD? I do better with those than at the gym myself.
  • polido54
    polido54 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    What about a gym at your school?