Calories Burned

Options
Ok I'm sure there has been many similar questions about heart rate monitors but I just wanted to see if anyone could help me.
I bought a Sportline HRM and a chest strap. It reads my heart rate correctly because I tested it every now and then by counting the beats myself. I also tested to see how many calories I burned from laying down half an hour. Besides getting up a couple times, I layed down and read. This was after I ate some cereal. By the way, I'm 22 and my average heart rate at the time was 73. It says I burned 97 calories in half an hour.
Does this sound right? I can't imagine what it will say I burned once I start exercising...
Would my body digesting food have something to do with this high calorie burning? Help! Please and thanks to anyone who answers :)

Replies

• green_tea
    green_tea Posts: 10
    Options
    Ok I'm sure there has been many similar questions about heart rate monitors but I just wanted to see if anyone could help me.
    I bought a Sportline HRM and a chest strap. It reads my heart rate correctly because I tested it every now and then by counting the beats myself. I also tested to see how many calories I burned from laying down half an hour. Besides getting up a couple times, I layed down and read. This was after I ate some cereal. By the way, I'm 22 and my average heart rate at the time was 73. It says I burned 97 calories in half an hour.
    Does this sound right? I can't imagine what it will say I burned once I start exercising...
    Would my body digesting food have something to do with this high calorie burning? Help! Please and thanks to anyone who answers :)
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I think on average I've read you burn 200 cals an hour... I checked mine and I burn more, but I wasn't laying down... and I"m also pretty big so mine's going to burn more.

Yours sounds about right.
  • green_tea
    Options
    really? wow! Does my weight have anything to do with it? I input my weight on the watch as well which is 116. Though when I calculate my BMR, which is 1630, that averages out to 68 calories an hour. That's why I'm confused...
    Thanks for your reply!
  • CarmenSantiago
    CarmenSantiago Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I really don't know what my heart rate is supposed to be, but I have a heart monitor on my eliptical that I can get my heart rate while I'm working out. The highest I've had it go is 165. This is while my heart is racing and I'm sweating like a pig so I know I'm pushing it.

What I'm gettitng at is I'm surmising that a person's weight has something to do with what our heart rate should be at optimally to burn.

Just my thoughts, lol
  • green_tea
    Options
    I really don't know what my heart rate is supposed to be, but I have a heart monitor on my eliptical that I can get my heart rate while I'm working out. The highest I've had it go is 165. This is while my heart is racing and I'm sweating like a pig so I know I'm pushing it.

What I'm gettitng at is I'm surmising that a person's weight has something to do with what our heart rate should be at optimally to burn.

Just my thoughts, lol

Thanks for your input. I understand now that weight has something to do with it but I'm still confused... if I burned 97 calories in half an hour just resting, what would my whole day be like? That's crazy!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    resting heart rate is usually between 80 and 140 calories per hour, depending on your height, weight, genetics, age, sex...etc.

200 cals an hour would give you somewhere near 3800 calories a day for maintenance. And unless you're over 350 lbs or so, that's probably not happening.

Don't forget though, laying down and sleeping are two different things. Sleeping shuts down certain parts of the brain and body (for all intents and purposes), which lowers both your heart rate and calorie burn a lot more then just laying down and measuring.
  • green_tea
    Options
    resting heart rate is usually between 80 and 140 calories per hour, depending on your height, weight, genetics, age, sex...etc.

200 cals an hour would give you somewhere near 3800 calories a day for maintenance. And unless you're over 350 lbs or so, that's probably not happening.

Don't forget though, laying down and sleeping are two different things. Sleeping shuts down certain parts of the brain and body (for all intents and purposes), which lowers both your heart rate and calorie burn a lot more then just laying down and measuring.

Yes exactly. So the watch can't possibly be right saying that I burned that 97 calories can it... =(
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

Yes exactly. So the watch can't possibly be right saying that I burned that 97 calories can it... =(

I would seriously doubt it.