I just can't eat enough):

Options
I know that you're supposed to eat a minimum of 1200 kcals a day but I can NEVER reach it. I just bought a HRM and my workouts burn wayyyy more than I thought. Ive upped my calories to 1500 a day consumed but I never get above 800-900 net. I know this isn't healthy and I don't know what to eat to raise my calories. I'm a vegetarian and I don't eat dairy, so my options are kinda limited. Please feel free to look at my diary, I really need help.

Replies

• sarahricks
    sarahricks Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Nuts are always a good option. They have plenty of calories and are still pretty good for you.
  • deegarcia19
    Options
    peanut butter, nuts, trail mix, pasta dishes..
  • gregs887
    Options
    Beans nuts and pastas?
  • Regito711
    Options
    Edamame is always a good choice too.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Really?! @ 1400 I'm struggling to stay under! And that's LOW-Carb.... Grab a big bag of Cheetos or something.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Try adding in nuts and peanut butter or maybe having a bigger breakfast?
  • rochey1098
    Options
    Rice and nuts are pretty much calorie gods in my opinion. Depends what you need fat or carbs.
  • mandy2334
    Options
    you could eat avocados they have like 350cals check out this site http://www.livestrong.com/article/76398-high-calorie-fruits-vegetables/
  • eml48341
    eml48341 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster that nuts are a great way to add healthy calories. I also was a vegetarian for years and always added avocado to my salad...it bumps those calories up and is a great healthy fat as well. Another great option is beans. I love black beans and brown rice which is very filling and a good calorie booster. Skinnytaste.com has a recipe called Quick and Delicioso Cuban Black Beans that is amazing...in fact she has a whole section of great vegetarian recipes.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and have no problem reaching way more than that. It's all about what you choose to eat. Feel free to look at my diary for inspiration!
    -nuts
    -nut butters
    -Eggs
    -Full-fat dairy
    -Avocado
    -Olive and coconut oil
    -Chia seeds
    -beans
    Just a few healthy ideas!
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem...just not hungry. I've been adding a lot of nuts and High protien/low carb bars to help up my cals.Nuts in salads are yummmy!
  • Clinno
    Clinno Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I know that you're supposed to eat a minimum of 1200 kcals a day but I can NEVER reach it. I just bought a HRM and my workouts burn wayyyy more than I thought. Ive upped my calories to 1500 a day consumed but I never get above 800-900 net. I know this isn't healthy and I don't know what to eat to raise my calories. I'm a vegetarian and I don't eat dairy, so my options are kinda limited. Please feel free to look at my diary, I really need help.

Sometimes I do the same, I have to snack before bed to make up the difference! Maybe you could try glasses of juice, wine, and I eat lots of celery sticks and salsa (yum!)
    Also, look up some Sri Lankan vegetarian recipes :) although I tend to think that if you are 100% honestly not hungry you don't need to eat just because that's the law, but that's just me.
  • zainabdice
    Options
    I'm having the same problem.
    I've been trying trail mix , protein bars/shakes and fruit to up my calorie intake.

I try not to eat 'just anything' to make up the calories. keep it healthy.
  • littlewrists
    Options
    I get SO annoyed with these posts. It's EASY to eat more if you want to. Add some oils to your food, nuts, dried fruit. A small handful of almonds is 150cal! 100g of raisins is close to 300cal!

Look, we are all here for a reason. We are (or were) overweight. You don't get to be overweight by not reaching 1200cal a day, do you?

Seriously, jeez.
  • littlewrists
    Options
    Also if you're vegetarian and don't eat dairy there are plenty of good options - soya yoghurt, silken tofu, almond / rice / oat milk, dairy free chocolate and on and on and on. You are only limited by yourself.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Agree with the PP. It almost seems like an attention grab. Honestly, unless you have some medical digestive issues, it's not that hard. Put more food in your mouth, chew and swallow. Whether that's extra fruits, nuts, an extra piece of bread - just eat it.