Christmas - Maintenance?

Options
Dexy_
Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
So over Christmas week I will be with family. There will be lots of food. I'm thinking of switching to maintenance calories for that week so I'm not stressing as much about food, but I don't gain much if any weight. Thoughts?

Replies

• rgsmi
    rgsmi Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I think that's an excellent idea.

You don't want to stress about it. You don't want to feel you are being deprived.
    But you do want to maintain some discipline in watching what you eat.

Upping your calorie intake for a while isn't a bad thing anyway, and certainly makes a good approach to holidays.
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Yeah I still want to be accountable. I don't think I'll be under 1600 a day (current cals), but also don't want to splurge and undo all my work so far. So that's why I was thinking maintenance cals :)
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    thats what i plan on doing :) i think its a great idea
  • WarriorMom2012
    WarriorMom2012 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I think you should thoroughly enjoy the holidays and deal with it January 2nd...that's what I'm doing :)
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I started that last week . . .well that and waiting to get my fitbit to try and tailer this a bit better. . .the pies are what's going to kill me LOL
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I'll be logging over Christmas (it's good to know what I am doing), but I'll aim for maintenance for the week around Christmas, and not worrying about the count at all on the day itself. Then back to loss mode after Boxing Day.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Maintenance can't hurt. Just don't go over, and you'll be fine.
  • regions02
    regions02 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I think we all need to relax and enjoy the day but not use it as an excuse to pig out. I can handle the turkey, gravy, stuffing, etc. It's the German Chocolate Cake that will get me. I plan to have some though and just keep the portions reasonable.
  • rochey1098
    Options
    I think you should thoroughly enjoy the holidays and deal with it January 2nd...that's what I'm doing :)

Agreed lol, I've been working out extra hard to lose a couple of extra lbs ready for xmas. I feel like I'm saving money for a big toy... my head is all kinds of messed up lol
  • kmboffice88
    Options
    I never thought about that...
    Dang!!! That would have really helped me over this Thanksgiving break I spent at my parents! Hahah. :)

NOTED!! :) Thank you!!
  • trishlambert
    trishlambert Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Switching to maintenance is, in my opinion, way better than just ditching MFP for the holiday. Christmas comes every year, and so do lots of other eating-intensive holidays...doesn't make sense to me to just stop doing MFP for those times. Better to use MFP as a learning tool for managing the holidays differently than we used to.

By switching to maintenance, you will stay in the habit of logging and will also get to keep a handle on how many calories you are eating. You stand a far better chance of maintaining the ground you've gained!!!
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I wholeheartedly agree with just upping calories to maintenance and logging along the way.
  • jowings
    jowings Posts: 157 Member
    Options

This is what I plan on doing! Just trying not to go overboard and know that I will have to be super diligent when it is all over :)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Last year I did maintenance for the whole month of December and had days of total not caring when there were parties involved. Still logged everything, of course, but mostly just enjoyed myself for the month. I gained one pound and just a few weeks after the new year and going back on my regular eating I hit my lowest weight. So I'm all for relaxing and enjoying the holidays.