SOUP!

Options
stephabef
stephabef Posts: 936 Member
We're getting our first snow in Atlanta tomorrow apparently, and the colder weather means it's really time for homemade soup! Share your favorites here, please! I'm looking for low-cal, high protein, filling ones! :)

Replies

• UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I make this Beef & Barley Stew all the time: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/beef-barley-stew/Detail.aspx

It comes in around 225 calories a cup and has 11 grams of protein. It's very rich and hearty and satisfying.
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Lentil! It's cold thanks for the reminder I'm going to make some now!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/lentil-soup/
  • Purpleflipflops
    Purpleflipflops Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    To go along with Akacicz, Potato Leek soup is awesome! I made some Potato-leek soup over the weekend, but instead of Potatoes, I used Caulliflower! When blended, it has the same texture, and it feels VERY Hearty!!!!
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    chicken stock, celery, carrots, blackeyed peas, broccoli, brown rice, and chicken breast.
  • Go_Silly
    Go_Silly Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the Chicken Noodle Soup from Allrecipes.com with only 147 calories per serving.
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/grandmas-chicken-noodle-soup/detail.aspx

For Chili ~ I use ground Turkey instead of Hamburger as it makes for less calories
    For Beef Stew ~ I pressure cook my stew meat. It melts in your mouth and is SOOO tender.

PS ~ I've found I can conserve alot of calories just by having soup each day for dinner. I make several kinds and freeze in Glad Containers...take to work and heat up in the microwave. Fast, easy to make and low on calories. Enjoy! :drinker:
  • NPS1985
    NPS1985 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I fell in LOVE with veggie soup and veggie chilli! All you do is add in your favorite cans of veggies and add tomatoe sauce and tomatoe paste if you're having soup or chilli packets if you're having chilli.

Veggie Chilli
    2 cans of green beans
    2 mixed veggies
    2 chilli beans
    2 diced tomatoes
    2 corn
    2 packets of hot chilli and half packet of reg chilli (I like my chilli spicy)

It's the same for the SOUP minus the chilli packets

instead add tomatoe sauce and tomatoe paste.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    To go along with Akacicz, Potato Leek soup is awesome! I made some Potato-leek soup over the weekend, but instead of Potatoes, I used Caulliflower! When blended, it has the same texture, and it feels VERY Hearty!!!!

I like that idea :flowerforyou:
  • BiggGrizz
    BiggGrizz Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Easy Chicken Chili
    1 lb. Chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
    1 can Black beans, drained
    1 can Pinto beans w/jalapenos, drained
    3 cans Mexican Stewed Tomatoes (I usually take 1-2 cans and blend in blender or food processor to make more "soup-y" and not chunky, depends on your taste)
    1 pkt Taco seasoning
    1 pkt Hidden Valley Ranch dry dressing mix

Dump it all in a pot and let it cook for about an hour.

Makes about 6 good sized bowls, or 8 smaller servings.

For 6 servings, per serving: 322 calories, 45 carbs, 3 gm fat
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Copycat Chili's Chicken Enchilada Soup
    *with some adjustments by me at the end

• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    • 1 lb chicken breast fillet (approx. 3 fillets)
    • 1/2 cup diced onion
    • 1 garlic clove, pressed, to taste
    • 4 cups chicken broth
    • 1 cup masa harina
    • 3 cups water
    • 1 cup enchilada sauce
    • 16 ounces 2% Velveeta cheese
    • 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
    • 1 teaspoon chili powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon cumin

Directions
    1. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a large pot over medium heat.
    2. Add chicken breasts to pot and brown for 4-5 minutes per side.
    3. Set chicken aside.
    4. Add onions and garlic to pot and sauté over medium heat for about 2 minutes, or until onions begin to become translucent.
    5. Add chicken broth.
    6. Combine masa harina with 2 cups of water in a medium bowl and whisk until blended.
    7. Add masa mixture to pot with onions, garlic and broth.
    8. Add remaining water, enchilada sauce, cheese and spices to pot and bring mixture to a boil.
    9. Shred the chicken into small, bite-size pieces and add it to the pot.
    10. Reduce heat and simmer soup for 30-40 minutes or until thick.

Sue’s variations:
    • Instead of cooking the chicken breasts in oil and cubing it, I put a couple of chicken breasts in a crock pot, with some sofrito*and taco seasoning and just let it cook, then shredded it.
    • I left out the onion and garlic, b/c my sofrito has onion, garlic, cilantro and peppers. I figured that was enough.
    • I put 2 full ladles per bowl, and got 8 bowls out of this recipe.

*Sofrito is a mixture of items that is used like a spice in a lot of Puerto Rican and Latina dishes. Basically I take about a half bundle of cilantro, a clove of garlic, ½-3/4 onion, and some bell pepper and jalapeno, throw it all in a food processor and grind it up.

Nutrition with my variations: 8 servings, per serving – 290 calories, 10 grams fat, 22 grams carbohydrates.