Jillian VS P90X

Options
Okay, I have Jillian Michael's DVDs (30 DS and NMTZ). I have been wanting to try P90X for quite some time now, but I am so scared I will pay all that money and will not be able to hang with the workout. I know P90X is a longer workout (close to and hour, right?), but in intensity how does it compare to Jillian? Will it kill me before I even get started?

Replies

• MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    It's totally doable! I LOVE P90X! Seriously, I recommend it to anyone. You can use lighter weights if you have to and work your way up... but I think most people can do it if they set their minds to it.
  • murraycharlie
    Options
    p90x it's fantastic. Start with low weights. I just use 3 pound weights and am getting good results. I may up to to 5 pounds for some of the exercises. I am in my second week of the classic program. I also do the push ups "girlie style" and use resistance bands for the pull ups. jillian is good too, but there is more variability in p90x, which gives you better results in the long run.
  • rjohnsg
    rjohnsg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i love P90X! It's def a lot more challenging than Jillian due to it's variety but as long as you have the right mindset you'll do fine! Good luck!
  • quixoticmantis
    quixoticmantis Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    P90X is completely doable, if you dedicate the time to it! Physically, I'll echo what everyone else says - you can start with lower weight, do modified pushup, etc.

Word of advice - You don't have to go all out right at the beginning with P90X. Do what you can do, and work yourself up if you need to. It's not worth straining or injuring yourself!

I personally LOVE Plyo and the KenPo - KenPo is a killer cardio workout for me, and it's FUN!
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    in my opinion ( cuz I have done them both) they dont compare!! I done p90x first and got EXCELLENT results! It is time consuming and long workouts, but most of them are fun (in my opinion) but it will definately give you results!! (see my before and after pics in my profile)
    I have done 30 ds also, and it is a great workout for someone that doesnt have the time to do p90x, but I dont think it compares. When I started 30 ds, I did level one and didnt feel it was as tough a workout, so I immediately went to level 2 and it was better!

If I were you I would do 30 ds first and then p90x or just do p90x only! but I wouldnt do p90x and then 30 ds Both of them allow you to modify until you are stronger.

P90X is the better workout if you have the time to commit to it!

* sorry I didnt read that you already done 30 Ds.....so YES totally do p90x!! It would be a good next step!*
  • tabithabush
    Options
    I have done insanity in the past and I think it works great if you follow the DVD's in the order they tell you to…its great and not so tough….plus it gets great results fast!! :)……whats also great about INSANITY is you don't need weights or anything only your body!!
  • spdevine
    Options
    I ask myself this ALL the time! I did really well last winter on 30 DS. I stayed motivated to excercise pretty much everyday because it is only 25 mins! I picked up a copy of P90X last spring and had a really hard time sticking to it over the summer. It is a HUGE time committment!! I started it again a week or so ago (minus a Thanksgiving sabatical) and I am really trying hard to stick to the program. I probably miss 2 workouts throughout the week due to my LIFE!! Each week I tell myself no skipping a workout. If you stick to P90X you are bound to have great results. As for the comparison of workout, I personally feel about the same. There is NO downtime in 30 DS where in P90X there is stretching and water breaks adding to the time! Sometimes i just fast forward through the breaks to cut down on time!!
  • Christake2
    Options
    I have both sets of dvds and I know that the P90X dvds are much more hardcore than the Jillian Michaels dvds. P90X is more suited to the person who has spent some time consistantly working out, and who can do the level 3 on the Jillian Michaels dvd with ease. There is a whole diet system that goes along with P90X which suggests higher calorie and protein intake because of the intensity and duration of the workouts. The average length of the P90X dvds is 1.5 hrs. I do like the P90X dvds but find them difficult to maintain in the long term because of the length of them. Also, you need a pull up bar and a variety of resistance bands, as well as various dumbbells in order to do a couple of the workouts correctly. That's my take. Hope it helps.
  • buzzjen
    buzzjen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't have Jillian but do have p90x. If you are to do this be ready for an hour to hour and a half workout per day 6 days a week (you can work out 7 days if you wish)....