Snoring stories

Options
Momkat65
Momkat65 Posts: 317 Member
After gaining weight I started snoring... alot....and loudly....loud enough to wake myself up and loud enough for my husband to go sleep in the other room LOL I can't help it! I am losing weight and still snoring. Will it go away when I lose more weight?
Tell me your snore story.

Replies

• 707janette
    707janette Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid, I used to lay awake in bed listening to my dad snore many rooms away. Sometimes he would go 30 to 40 seconds without making any noise and I would be afraid he died. Seriously, I often tried to stay awake just to make sure he was still snoring.

When I was at my heaviest, I used to snore and wake myself up also. I haven't done it for quite some time now. Unfortunately, there is no one around to let me know if I still snore.
  • Cr8tive_Ingenuity
    Options
    you have all indications of possible sleep apnea...you should go for a sleep study..my gf told me i snored so i went and now i have a cpap machine..if you dont get it done sleep apnea over time can kill you,,not to scare you,,many many people have OSA and dont know about it..sleep study is easy and the fix is easy as well..no worries just get a sleep study..tell your doctor you want it done..your insurance should cover it..overweight is a big factor in having sleep apnea
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, but. . .

I know I snored when I gained weight--I'd wake myself up occaisionally, and occaisionally my husband would elbow me to make me stop.

I no longer wake myself up. And I'm not getting the elbow as often! (I think it helps that hubby is a SOUND sleeper!)

Seriously, I think losing weight helped.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    my wife will be happy to hear this....losing weight should equate to less snoring.
  • workinprogress12_2
    workinprogress12_2 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    my husband has lost a bit over 50 pounds and he no longer snores. He snored so loudly at times that I had to turn the volume on the tv up when he would doze off.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I snored so loud I would wake up still tired. So did my wife, she's a light sleeper. After losing weight, the snoring has stopped completely. Well, almost. Sometimes I snore a bit if I get a bad head cold, otherwise, nope. Every few pounds lost seems to have made a difference. (I lost about 60lbs before getting on this site...)
  • PAnn1
    PAnn1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I too started snoring when I got heavy. I lost the weight and my husband says the snoring stopped. My brother's doctor told him that when we're heavy the meat in the back of the throat (including the nasal passage area of the throat) gets thicker, causing a smaller space, so when we breathe, we have less air space.
  • HungryMom
    Options
    my wife will be happy to hear this....losing weight should equate to less snoring.

This summer my husband remarked how better he was sleeping. I assumed his stress level was down, the fresh air, etc was helping him. Then a couple weeks later my two year old was pretending to be asleep and snoring loudly. My five year old said, "No! Mommy doesn't sound like that anymore." That must have been what he was tactfully trying to tell me. LOL
  • reeldancer
    reeldancer Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My Husband stopped snoring as soon as he reduced his carbs. He subsequently lost weight (-45 lbs) and is still no longer snoring. For my husband there is a definite link between carbs and snoring.
  • chezmama
    chezmama Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I don't think my snoring will stop, but my husband has not been waking me up as often to try to get me to stop snoring.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Used to snore bad, diagnosed with sleep apnea. Now sleep with a cpap machine, no snoring and I get a great nights sleep.
    If you think you have it, ask your doctor about it. I would stop breathing at night according to the test results.
  • Cr8tive_Ingenuity
    Options
    Everyone who has sleep apnea snores but not everyone who snores has sleep apnea. I think its important for anyone to snore to get the sleep study done..
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    My husband is still overweight but he stopped snoring when he lost 30 pounds. I'm sure it would be different for everyone because what weight does to our body is different but it could happen. Especially if you began storing due to weight gain in the first place. If you have the other signs of sleep apnea though you may want to get checked out. Using a machine until you lose the weight and know for sure could not only prolong your life but help you with the weight loss as well. Good sleep is important. :)
This discussion has been closed.