How do you break the cycle?

Options
So I joined MFP with the best intentions. I lost 6 pounds in the first few weeks. I was feeling great about it. Then...life got in the way and I gained 1 pound back. I maintained for a couple weeks, but the weight has slowly crept back up. I don't want to step on the scale because I assume I have gained back the entire 6 pounds now.

So my question....how do you break the cycle? Things always happen in life. I can't keep falling back into bad habits due to stress. I keep thinking that I have made that mindset switch, but obviously I have not. How do you get there???

I have to start over once again and I really want this to be the last time. When times are tough I'd be okay with maintaining...but the gaining it all back has got to STOP! What do you guys do? I don't always have time to work out...so give me some ideas PLEASE!!!

Thank you in advance!!!

Replies

• CaseyDiane
    Options
    Bump (I am really interested to see the responses on your post because I too have this problem/issue.)
  • rolliepollie087
    rolliepollie087 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I slacked for a while as well. However I had checked out some photos on pinterest and it really made me feel like I had to get into gear.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/402447-here-s-some-motivation-for-ya

Those things motivate me.
  • gbelltx
    gbelltx Posts: 142
    Options
    Once your goals are set determine what makes you successful and then determine what triggers you have that make you go back to the old ways. Once you have identified each of them then learn to recognize them as they are happening like stress eating. Then identify some alternatives to the old bad habits and begin to make different choices as you recognize those triggers. Yes easier said than done but just like with anything the more times you do it the better you get. The times when you do not do so well but recognize the trigger just think about what point you decided to go back to the habits and don’t give in because you stumble just continue to look and identify and conquer.
  • TaraMKL
    TaraMKL Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    As a working mom of three, I can tell you that I *totally* understand life getting in the way. I have had two 5 day vacations, Thanksgiving and a family birthday party all in the last month. Thankfully, I think I've come through it with minimal damage. I will say that exercising as much as I can (realistically) has helped -- but the biggest thing is being as consistent as possible with planning ahead.

I think having food on hand that you can grab/go and whip up in little time but won't kill your nutrtition/lead to cravings is key for me. I am in love with Shakeology for this reason -- so maybe something like that or something similar would help you? Tonight, for instance - my hubby and I were hanging up Christmas lights. Made the kids a pbj, but we didn't want that - so we both had a shake for dinner. I took my shaker cup on vacation and was assured of at least ONE meal that wouldn't completely derail me all day. I also packed my own healthy snacks -- bought fresh fruit at the hotel gift shop and had those for lunches some days.

Speaking of pinterest (self-admitted adict), I saw on there today that someone stores all salad ingredients in canning jars (individual portions) in the fridge -- dressing in the bottom, lettuce/spinach on top, other veggies under. Shake when you're ready, dump into a bowl and enjoy. BRILLIANT. She said they stay fresh for about 3-4 days.

I know for myself -- if I have junk in my house, I will eat it. I just will. So, shopping and stocking foods I can eat and not go completely off the tracks with is super important for me. I am the girl who eats herself silly when I'm stressed/emotional, not ever the girl who forgets or can't eat because of those things.

Good luck - hope this was at least somewhat helpful. Right there with you!!
  • NianMaya
    NianMaya Posts: 108
    Options
    Life will continue to happen so you gotta remember that this is your journey no matter whats happens around you. Make sure you have some supporters and motivators to keep you going. Find healthy but easy things to cook and take for lunch if you work. I make fish and veggies as an easy dinner and take pj sandwiches, fiber bars, and fruit for lunch. Make sure you drink at least 8 cups of water and to help, I take a water bottle everywhere I go. Also make sure you exercise, even if its a 30 min. walk. Open your diary to your friends and ask for feedback on what you can do better. Hope this helps! p.s. if interested, send friend request.
  • trilikeagirl
    Options
    One day I woke up and just knew I was ready to be done with this body. I knew it like never before. It would be great if I had new willpower too, but it's still the same old me inside. These are the things that help me: Plan my foods every day. If I've planned my meals I snack on smaller bites of all the tempting stuff. Eating five times a day keeps me from bottoming out between meals. I plan to walk, run or bicycle every day at lunch, and actually make it out about half the time. I seek out people to exercise with at lunch, instead of people to eat with. I sign up for races that challenge me. I signed up for a marathon (gulp!) next week because I knew if I didn't I'd sit on the couch from September to March. I wont set any land speed records, but I'll finish and I've run five days a week all fall instead. I don't beat myself up. Some days I just log 2500 quick calories and don't look at MFP again that day. In five months I've lost almost 30 lbs, which is only half what I'd hoped, but I can maintain this lifestyle. You can do this, you're worth it!:flowerforyou:
  • runwithmike
    Options
    Don't be so down on yourself. Identify what is causing the extra weight gain. Eating more recently due to the holidays? Not able to go to the gym, exercise, etc.? If you are taking in the same calories and what you are doing for exercise has not changed, maybe it is the choice of foods. Maybe you plateaued at the gym and need to modify your routine a bit. Maybe you reduced your calorie intake more than the recommended 500 calories a day and you are feeling hungy or sluggish. Once you evaluate your food/exercise report make the changes necessary.
  • mommyffrog
    mommyffrog Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks to you guys for taking the time to respond. I think with the new year here and the fattening holidays behind us that I am off to a good start. Of course, I'm at zero pounds lost right now...but it will slowly change! Thanks again!!!! :wink: