Skinny but flabby??

B2BB
B2BB Posts: 222 Member
"When I started working out I did cardio all the time, simply because I didn't know what else to… do...a few months later I realized I was just a smaller version of my formerly flabby self...." - Tosca Reno

Get some strength training in your life people if you want to see your body change!

Replies

• iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    I agree with that 100%! Strength training/lifting is key!
  • KCarpenter83
    KCarpenter83 Posts: 36 Member
    Agreed! Worse is when someone loses weight all by diet with no exercise- no bueno! The "empty sack" appearance can't be what you are going for!
  • SeaSiren1
    SeaSiren1 Posts: 242 Member
    Spot on! We call it "skinny-fat"
  • totally agree! how I wish all women would think like this instead of having fear of getting "bulky" which isn't possible for most of us
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Major "like" - much more bang for your buck!! Some cardio is good - but strength training changes your body!!
  • diana77
    diana77 Posts: 59 Member
    The "empty sack" .....LOL love it. Spot on KC...
  • Yeah - I have been there before (at my goal weight) and still completely untoned and flabby. Did it just with diet. This time I am exercising as well and seeing good changes but I am concerned that I will end up still not at a desirable body fat %. Last time I lost weight I was about 21% which still left me with a tummy and not that toned. This time around I am exercising heaps and incorporating alot of circuits which mix strength and cardio together plus a pump class or 2. I desperately want to increase my fitness as well. I am hoping this does it but I think I will have to up the weights a bit more and lay off the cardio. Not sure if I should be a eating a bit differently also? Would love your advice.
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    "When I started working out I did cardio all the time, simply because I didn't know what else to… do...a few months later I realized I was just a smaller version of my formerly flabby self...." - Tosca Reno

Get some strength training in your life people if you want to see your body change!

Yes! and clearly she knows what she's talking about, you can not argue with results!
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    I really needed to read this. :)
  • MarchelleLynne
    MarchelleLynne Posts: 229 Member
    I have been dieting and exercising about 7 months mostly zumba and walking, little strength training and have had a good loss so far. I just recently incorporated strength training and resistance to my workouts, I am feeling very good and confident but I am no longer dropping weight at all....I miss the scale moving but I am feeling very powerful!
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,357 Member
    I totally agree. I use to think "I just need to diet" I never realized how important working out really is, till I started seeing my weight doctor and he told me we want to see weight drop but we want to see inches drop and see it toned. Is words were actually on the lines of "No Sag" LOL.
  • manjingirl
    manjingirl Posts: 188 Member

Not totally true. If you've been doing plenty of cardio, you've been using muscles to do it, those muscles will be good and strong, usually large muscle groups in your legs. And if that cardio includes rowing, then the arms and core are involved as well. I love strength training, but cardio is really good too.
  • That's very ture :3

But then again what about people like me who don't have acess to any streagth training stuff.. DX
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member

Not totally true. If you've been doing plenty of cardio, you've been using muscles to do it, those muscles will be good and strong, usually large muscle groups in your legs. And if that cardio includes rowing, then the arms and core are involved as well. I love strength training, but cardio is really good too.

I saw a HUGE change in my lower body doing just cardio. My legs are toned and slimmed down from running. My belly went down. My back fat went away.

However, my arms look like they do from strength training.
  • "When I started working out I did cardio all the time, simply because I didn't know what else to… do...a few months later I realized I was just a smaller version of my formerly flabby self...." - Tosca Reno

Cardio is also very important because it maximizes fat loss however overdoing it can lead to muscle loss. It should balance well with strength training plus good nutrition.
  • That's very ture :3

But then again what about people like me who don't have acess to any streagth training stuff.. DX

Your body weight will do or buy a resistance band. Its cheap & very portable that you can take it anywhere you go. Body weight exercises like push-ups, sit-ups, crunches, planks, tricep chair dips & chest dips are just as good as lifting heavy iron.
  • manjingirl
    manjingirl Posts: 188 Member
    That's very ture :3

Yes, I agree with previous post - search for body weight exercises, there are plenty of youtube videos of great workouts with body weight only. Start with pushups, situps, lunges, squats, tricep dips...
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Bump to keep this thread visible :smile: