How to start running?

Options
Hey everyone!

I really want to start running and training to possibly run races. Everyone keeps talking about how addictive running can be, but I get so discouraged because I can't run for more than 3 minutes before I start panting and gasping for air. Clearly, I'm out of shape. I'm working on that though. Anyways, this question is for all you runners out there. How do you start running? What can I do to improve my endurance? I appreciate any advice anyone is willing to give! :)

Thanks guys! :)

Replies

• PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    You should totally do couch 2 5k. It is a program (FREE) that slowly increases your running time :)!
  • Kyliechristie
    Options
    I was going to suggest c25k too. I just started it this morning. There is also an iphone app for $2.99 that i found good -although i have only used it 1 day. Good luck and feel free to add me if you want to do it with a buddy:)

http://www.c25k.com/
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    C25K is great.... google it and you will find lots of info.

If you have a smart phone you can get an app that guides you for running/walking.
    Or you can download a podcast to listen to on an MP3 player.
    Or, I guess you could just look online for the intervals and time yourself with a watch!

My best tips for getting started:
    - run slowly. Even if you think you are slow, go slower! This way you can build up your endurance. Don't worry about speed, that can come later.
    - get fitted for good shoes and bra. They aren't cheap but once you have them you don't need to spend any more money to run.
    - don't focus on what you can't do. Celebrate running for one minute or three minutes or five minutes... and before you know it you will be running 30 minutes or more!
    - once you have been running for a while, read up about good running form. Don't worry about it at first, just get moving!
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    google c25k and check out that program. I have lots of friends that have finished the program and are now runners. I just started running during my walk one day. Said I am going to run to the end of the street....then added to the next driveway or that big tree until I can now do 2 miles regularly without stopping and if I am feeling really froggy I can do 3!

I am enrolled in a beginning running class at a local running store. That may be the first place you want to check. I went in a signed up and also had my stride analyzed. They told me to get stability shoes (bad arches) shoes and since then haven't had the knee problems that were hampering me before

Best of luck to you!
  • DaniNei
    DaniNei Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I second Couch 2 5K. That is how I started running again after not running for several years. That was 3 years ago and now I am training to run my first Marathon in February. Your endurance will increase, it just takes time.
  • vsmurrow
    vsmurrow Posts: 145
    Options
    I suggest you start running and then... you know... keep running.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I'm not a very good runner... matter of fact, I'm incredibly overweight AND out of shape, but I just started running last week and so far I've learned...

1. Intervals are great for beginners. Jog for as long as you can, then walk long enough to calm yourself, then jog again, and repeat. Increase the amount of time you jog every week or so, and decrease the amount you walk until you feel comfortable dismissing the walking portion all together. Intervals are good for calorie burn AND building up your timing/stamina/endurance.

2. Stretch THOROUGHLY! I find that MY main problem is my ankles and legs, I feel like they're gonna break off! So stretching thoroughly is key. Also, fuel up on some potassium before running, as a pre-run snack to keep from cramping!

Hope this helps! Ima be right there with you, just starting to run. If it makes you feel any better, I can barely make it 2 minutes... so you've got a full minute on me! lol

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    When I started running, I didn't know anything about the C25K program.

I simply started off slowly and worked my way up. I started off by walking and then as I got better - I increased my speed. Next thing I knew? I was jogging (I couldn't do it for long - a few mins was all and then I had to go back to walking). I just kept increasing my speed and the time in which I was jogging. Next thing I knew? I was running.

Just do it slowly. Don't expect your body to be able to run a 10 min mile when you just start out. Ease into it slowly. :)
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    ohhh I made a huge mistake the other day when I went for my run....BE SURE TO HYDRATE BEFORE!!!!! If you have problems with leg cramps in the night after you run eat a banana before bed!
  • dragonflybird
    Options
    I do Couch to 10K. I know someone else that started with C25K and then had to get another app called B210K...(Bridge to 10K). I've tried running many times, but this time it is totally different. It helps when there is something telling you when to run and when to walk etc. I fully recommend it.
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Step one: get a hungry bear or zombie. Step two: Start running.
  • sunflower1129
    Options
    My husband and I signed up for my first 5k December 17th! He has raced them before and so have I, but I would like to actually run this one! We started the Couch to 5k and it is a great program, but we weren't able to stick with it for very long. We are going to try it again this winter. Good luck!
  • nbaxter1104
    Options
    When I played volleyball we had to run ten laps just before we even started practicing.... And I am not a fast runner anyways, but I became one. I did not want to be the slow one that was behind on my laps... So my advuce... run with someone who runs moderately fast amd just try to beat them every time.
  • c2me12ad6
    c2me12ad6 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    interval training is the best for new runners. That is was worked for me too. That is basically what the C25k is it is interval training. you can look up different interval work outs too I found one on Lance Armstrongs website that I really like. Look around. Before you know it you will be running for 5 mins, then 7 ....20 mins you'll get there! Trust me I am not a runner and I still am not addicted to it but It is becoming less strenuous and I dont mind it as much now!
  • GlitterMamma11
    GlitterMamma11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Another vote for c25k! I'm not a runner and never have been. When I started c25k 1min of jogging had me so out of breath and my legs felt like they would give out! By the end of the training I was able to jog 20mins straight and even participated (and finished) a 5k! You will be surprised!
  • ChasingHaven
    ChasingHaven Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Step one: get a hungry bear or zombie. Step two: Start running.

The app is $2.99, the bear would be expensive. The zombie? How much do shovels run these days? (Love it!)

I know when I was younger, (but still trying to lose weight them too) I'd go to the track with my husband. He'd run and I would walk. After awhile I just felt like running. It was the oddest thing, because I went with the intention of doing nothing but walking. They say running is addicting...

We've got a treadmill....I've no excuse. My goal today is to GET ON IT! I'm going to check out the c25k app as well. Thanks everyone for mentioning it!
  • loseramy68
    Options
    I have tried running so many times and hated it. I would get too tired and quit. So, my advice is to ditto advice from above - RUN SLOWLY. Speed will come in time. It is so much more enjoyable to run slowly as you are getting the hang of it. I started running slowly in September with c25k and did my first 5k on Thanksgiving. I now run every other day and love it and speed is coming without me realizing it. I have already increased my pace by 90 seconds per mile. Gadgets make it really fun. I have an Ipod with Nike Plus to track my miles, speed, personal bests, etc.
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Couch to 5k, or a similar interval beginner running program. I am just finishing up C25K and it has helped me run for the first time in my adult life-regardless of being totally overweight and out of shape. You just build up each week, and repeat weeks if neccesary. Then you can do the Bridge to 10k if you like (I am going to). I started by using the free C25K (only free on Android I believe) but the free one has some limitations so now I use the runkeeper app (also free, and associated with a website where you can track all your progress, etc). I just created my own "coaching" using the C25K and B210K guidelines. :)
  • justle
    justle Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    another one for c25k here, i love it when i started i couldnt run for those 60 seconds now i'm running 20 mins solid :)
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Im another diciple of C25K, i couldnt run into the kitchen from the lounge without keeling over, now, i run 5Ks 4 times a week, and planning my first 10K and Half marathons... all down to the help of C25K.

Good luck