"Please, Sir, I want some more"

Options
Please forgive me if this a stupid question but I've never dieted before...is it normal to feel hungry most of time? I just finished eating lunch (big salad, skinless chicken thigh and small potato) a half hour ago and I feel like I could eat a horse right now. I seem to go to bed hungry and wake up hungry also. Could it just be a psychological thing?

Replies

• Astrogirl
    Astrogirl Posts: 18
    Options
    Please forgive me if this a stupid question but I've never dieted before...is it normal to feel hungry most of time? I just finished eating lunch (big salad, skinless chicken thigh and small potato) a half hour ago and I feel like I could eat a horse right now. I seem to go to bed hungry and wake up hungry also. Could it just be a psychological thing?
  • rethun01
    rethun01 Posts: 167
    Options
    I find that the more I think about it, the hungrier I feel. I'll go like a month a eat whatever I want... otherwise I'd go crazy. And when I first get back into the habit of eating healthy again after a "break", I'm always hungry because I'm thinking about what I ate, what I'm eating, and what I am eating later. Eventually, it becomes a normal practice and you won't feel hungry any more.

Your post should prompt some advice from other members on what they to stay feeling fuller longer... But I've found drinking water helps. Especially hot beverages. I love a nice cup of hot tea, because it takes a while to drink because you have to sip. The beverage usually fills me up, and takes like 45 minutes to drink. And by then I'm usually over my crave!

And in the end when I'm still REALLY hungry, I'll have a little healthy snack because then I'm less likely to go overboard at the next meal.

Good luck!!
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    It is normal but your body will adjust to the lower comsumption soon...I always hear people talk about filling up on water to ease the hunger and some people eat several small meals a day to avoid the hunger...hang in there, it will be so worth it!
  • awestfall
    awestfall Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    For me personally it is a psychological thing.Food used to be my comfort all the time even when I wasn't hungry but now that I know each and everyday what I am putting into my mouth its not so much a crutch anymore and I don't let it consume me.Try eating things higher in fiber and protein they keep you full longer.(ex.beans)
  • Topxgun
    Topxgun Posts: 38
    Options
    If you're eating TOO little, your body could be getting too little food all together. Be sure to diet safely. I don't feel hungry all that often. Find filling foods. Pasta ia always good.
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    You know, at first I wasn't hungry all the time. But I've noticed the closer I get to my goal...Yep I'm starving, figuratively speaking, of course. UGH! I don't know if it's a psychological thing or not. I'm still relatively new to all this. But when I am feeling hungry (you know 20 min. after I just ate) I pop in some gum to chew. It helps. Drinking water helps, which I don't do, cause I hate walking around drinking water. Staying busy helps me too. I tend to eat less on errand days than my regular stay at home mom days. Get to know yourself. Journaling is a great help because you'll find when you're more prone to eat. And just keep at it.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Oh yes, and I wake up Hungry! I make myself wait though. If I eat as soon as I wake up I will likely eat again before lunch...so I try not to eat breakfast to early.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    This happens to all of us from time to time, and there are many ways to beat it.

First thing I do is really think about it. Am I really hungry - or am I just bored? Do I need to eat something, or do I just want an excuse to stop working for a few minutes - 'cause it's more fun to eat than it is to work?

Lots of the time I find my answer there - and I satisfy that need in another way. Actually just bored? Do something neato - pick up the guitar, put a move on the ol' lady, take the dog out. Just want a break from working? Find some excuse to do something else for a minute. Need to run some papers over to the Purchasing Dept.? Have a pal you need to check in with down the hall?

I work at a large plant with a lot of acreage and greenery around, and sometimes I just go outside and walk around the building picking up litter. It's 10 minutes outside, my boss sure doesn't mind, and when I get back to the desk I'm refreshed and not hungry any more.

So,,, what if you actually are hungry? Find some way to nibble and fill the void without blowing your day. Me - I love carrots and cucumbers, maybe a little bit of free Italian dressing (don't go nuts, mind the sodium). Big glass of Iced tea w/Splenda.

Is it normal? Yes & no,,, or sometimes, but there are ways to beat it. You can do it. :smile:
  • Astrogirl
    Astrogirl Posts: 18
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Lots of great advice to follow - very much appreciated! :smile:
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    i was just reading about this in self magazine. it says the first few days or week, you will feel VERY hungry. your body is adjusting and your mind's not there yet.
    said to ignore it, drink your water and by week 2 or so you should not have that intense physical hunger so much.
    but your psychological habits are still there. each time you resist the urge (snacking during tv, for example), the psych connections weaken.

so much of this is mental--committing to your goals, changing outlook, changing habits, making different choices, not sabotaging yourself....

hth--good luck!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Be sure you're eating 4-5x per day. You can divide them into even meals or have small 100-calorie snacks between big meals.
  • amycakes812
    amycakes812 Posts: 441
    Options
    If you are feeling starved all the time, take a look at your food log and see what kinds of foods you are filling your caloric needs with. Make sure you are eating some good fats during the day. (almonds, avacados, olive oil, etc.) They will help to keep you feeling full longer. As others have suggested, if you just ate and are still hungry, distract yourself with a walk, drink some water, chew gum or brush your teeth. Yes, it is all easier said than done, but stick with it and your body will soon adjust. :smile:
    Oh....and exercise! When you are hungry, this is a great incentive to earn some extra calories to eat.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    "Please Sir, I want some more"!!! I have not heard that line since I was in the musical "Oliver" as a boy. Yes, sometimes I feel very hungry. I know its because I am not eating enough. Those stupid fast food commercials make me hungry, too!
  • ldwa
    ldwa Posts: 20
    Options
    LOL. I read a weightwatchers magazine yesterday and I was hungrier after I read it because of all the yummy recipes in there. How sad is that!?!

yes. it's normal. I find I have to take it sooooo slowly the first few weeks because I am ravenous and if I feel like I'm being deprived I just overdo it or I give up-- so just start scaling back slowly. Also- for me week 3 is a beast. Sometimes knowing things like that helps me get through it. This is my 3rd major lifetime attempt at getting back to "normal" (according to BMI).

good luck. hang in there. stay distracted!!! busy-ness helps!:flowerforyou:
  • TheWarrior
    Options
    Hi all. Usually I will feel more hunger, if I don't get anough protein in the diet. Protein sticks with us longer and gives us a longer 'satisified' feeling. While I am not particularly fond of meat, I will still help myself for the protein, adding beans of some sort to dinners, keeping nuts and peanut butter handy. Water helps to bloat the tummy to get a full feeling too.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    when u first start out its kind of habit and mostly in your head as long as your eating enough ....I kept sugar free jello and sugar free popsicles around when I first started and cucumbers...I ate them when I wanted no matter when..and eventually the cravings wore off...it took about 1 month for the hunger to cease..I rarely have hunger issues now but if I do I grab a handful or nuts or a cucumber...I didnt include cucumbers in my daily calories it was a free food for me....:flowerforyou:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I do that with lettuce, cabbage, celery, cucumbers, carrots. They're free, or at least cheap. :bigsmile:
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    If you are feeling starved all the time, take a look at your food log and see what kinds of foods you are filling your caloric needs with. Make sure you are eating some good fats during the day. (almonds, avacados, olive oil, etc.) They will help to keep you feeling full longer. As others have suggested, if you just ate and are still hungry, distract yourself with a walk, drink some water, chew gum or brush your teeth. Yes, it is all easier said than done, but stick with it and your body will soon adjust. :smile:
    Oh....and exercise! When you are hungry, this is a great incentive to earn some extra calories to eat.

I agree with this...When I feel hungry it usually means I made poor choices. A bowl of cereal and milk has as many calories as a bowl of plain Oatmeal or two eggs but they will help me feel full longer. I am amazed at what a little olive oil or flax can do for feeling good.

Find for yourself what equals death to your diet...for me it was thinking I could have toast with butter! I switched to a half of a banana with natural peanut butter. Same calories...big difference!