I can't be the only one...

Options

Replies

• cerrajean
    cerrajean Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Even my bras are starting to fit differently.

I will say I've been able to find a couple of decent bras (one particularly awesome one!) at Ross for $5.99. Yeah they're not gonna last, but frankly- I don't want them to need to!
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Not just a gal problem! I've not been able to wear my wedding band in months and have dropped another four inches in the waist since August, so I'm in dire need as well. Besides the already good suggestions, keep an eye out for big sales at stores that are generally more affordable to start with. I recently picked up 2 pairs of pants and 2 shirts for about $50 at JC Penny's at a sale with a coupon.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Have you thought of saving up to get a few choice items taken in? Or learning to take them in yourself, or find a friend who will do it for you? If you are having this problem now maybe start saving for when you are at a smaller size you can go buy new work cloths at least.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    I'm with you. I went from a 50 jeans to 40-42 now (on my way down still) and my old jeans were looking ridiculous. I bought a couple 44s when I wore that size and within 3 weeks they were saggy. Now if I don't wear a belt, tight, they fall off. I can't afford to buy new jeans every couple weeks. I don't have any advice for you really. Everyone's situation is unique. I'm just doing what I can with what I have. I told myself I wasn't buying more jeans til I was a solid 40 or less.

Good luck and grats on the -30.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    op-shop! you can find amazing pieces for work for very little if you look hard enough

op-shop?

op shop stands for opportunity shop, it's an australian term.
    Its bascially means a used or thrift store.

I love op shops. Yesterday I picked up a pair of cargo shorts size 12 (us size 8) and they fit perfectly. And only set me back $2
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm an attorney and I also need to project a professional image. My budget isn't quite as tight as yours, but I definitely don't have time for shopping, and who can afford to replace their wardrobe with every 10 pound weight loss anyway?

I'm 15 pounds down, and all I've bought is 2 pairs of jeans (NONE of my old jeans fit), 1 pair of trousers, and 2 sweater dresses. The sweater dresses are fitted and stretchy and I can wear with a belt as I continue getting smaller. My suits and my other dresses, I've had taken in. I have a good tailor and my jackets, pants and skirts can be brought in up to 2 sizes, and it's only $15. Then I don't have to worry about having a closet full of clothes that don't quite fit.
  • jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    op-shop! you can find amazing pieces for work for very little if you look hard enough

op-shop?

op (opportunity ) shop is the Aussie version of your thrift, charity shops.
    They are the a dieters delight.

Ebay is the next best thing.
    We also have Gumtree, a web site for advertising almost anything, maybe you could find one that services your area.
    You could advertise for clothes swaps on there.
    Try searching a community web site.
    It's a real challenge that's for sure and you have all our sympathy for sure, congrats on your weight loss.
  • JennyAnnLanders
    JennyAnnLanders Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I find that thrift shops and garage sales sometimes have wonderful buys! Some Saturdays once a month the Goodwill store has a stuff the bag sale for just $2/$3 and you can get nice items! I have a daughter that lives in a small city that has 1 and she is a business gal and all of her nice clothes come from Goodwill and garage sales. Even some of her nicer shoes!
    Or..has someone you worked with lost weight recently as well? Ask them if they have clothes left over. OR...do you have a Free Cycle in your area? www.freecycle.com You can ask on there for clothing...and everything is free.
    Also. For Bras...you can take a stitch or two at the top of each "cup" along the middle (center, not middle nipple area) and it will temporarily give you a quick fix so you don't have to purchase a new bra so often.
    Good luck...you are doing awesome! Don't let the lack of clothing right now discourage you. It will come around!!
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Girl, I am from SF they are def. not all grouped by color- just wander in a few new ones. You have some of the BEST thrift shopping buys at your doorstep- take advantage!
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I hate shopping too & will only purchase a few items when my old stuff is absolutely too big. Ditto on the sweater dresses & cinchy belts. I have one of those great button down shirts that's kind of long & even though it's way big on me now, my stretchy wide belt let's me get away with it still. I love Old Navy, but I'm also fortunate enough not to have to dress professionally very often since I work at home, so if I need to I'll wear leggings & either a dress or the oversized button-down. I do have a couple of other nice tops with the wide belt, so black leggings are a lifesaver there.

I've found some really great stuff on clearance at Target & occasionally Walmart, also JCP.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. Last year when I lost all the weight I purged my closet and drawers of everything that didn't fit anymore. And went on one shopping trip with some gift cards and a little bit of money I had available at the time.

And those are all the clothes I have that fit. >.< I literally have five pairs of pants, four zip up sweatshirts, two sweaters, two thin pullover tops, a few polos and a handful of tees in long and short sleeve. And they're all already falling apart because they're the only clothes I've had for over a year now cuz I haven't been able to buy anything new with how tight my budget has been.

And I'm still trying to find an actual warm jacket that fits and that I can afford, I just mostly spend a lot of time cold during the winter now. lol
  • asaba1013
    Options
    Thrift stores are wonderful options for the in between times. Many have brand new clothes and they won't break the bank on your downward journey to the final wardrobe.

THIS!!!!!! YOU SHOULD REALLY CONSIDER THE GOODWILL, SALVATION ARMY ETC... IM ON A STRICT BUDGET BUT NOT ALL THE TIME AND I STILLLLLLL SHOP AT THE GOODWILL! I AM A VERY YOUND AND FASHIONABLE PERSON AND I FIND SOME OF MY BEST ITEMS THERE!!!! ITS HIT OR MISS. SO JUST BC U DONT FIND ANYTING THE FIRST TIME, GO BACK AGAIN!!! PAY ATTENTION TO THE TAG COLOR DAYS AND YOU CAN REALLY HIT BIG THERE LOL!!! I LOVE LOVE LOOOOVE THRIFT STORES, BROKE OR NOT!!!! =)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It's a tough one isn't it? Losing weight is great, but it's expensive, and it's frustrating to buy new clothes only to have them looking baggy in another month or two (great, but frustrating!)

My solution has been to buy black pants or skirts that fit (from Target when they have a sale, or from the op shop) and to buy colourful t-shirts/singlets for a few dollars each. Then I wear these under cardigans/jackets that I already have, the cardigans are looking a bit big but not too bad.

I also got out the sewing machine to take in the outside seam of a few pairs of pants. It wasn't a very professional job at the waistline, but i wore a shirt over them so I got away with it!

And accessorise! I've hunted out some long necklaces that I don't usually wear and they dress up a plain black or white t-shirt to make it look more professional and less "weekend".
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Old Navy has a lot of good sales, and their prices are more reasonable than a lot of other stores. Perhaps you can check them out.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I've just hit the op shop and got some good bargains. I'm lucky as when I go home for Xmas my mum is getting me some new clothes and since we're now the same size I can raid her wardrobe. Not the best option but better than buying new clothes.

Try Freecycle too. Possibly for free there!
  • cerrajean
    Options
    Old Navy has a lot of good sales, and their prices are more reasonable than a lot of other stores. Perhaps you can check them out.

I actually boycotted Old Navy for YEARS (5 or 6?) because I went to their Flagship store here in San Francisco because they had their plus sizes in the store as opposed to online. I went in one day and it was gone- I asked the sales associate where it was moved to and she just looked at me and said something to the effect of:

"Oh, plus sizes? Yeah you have to order those online, we don't carry them in the store anymore."

I politely told her I'd be taking my money elsewhere, because I refuse to buy clothes I can't try on. I'm far too busy to be running around town returning things. :P

Thanks for all the great tips everyone! I do have a sewing machine, and I do mend and alter what I can- it just gets so frustrating, and at least I'm reassured now that I'm not the only one who's loathing one (tiny!) aspect of my weight loss.
  • cerrajean
    Options

And I'm still trying to find an actual warm jacket that fits and that I can afford, I just mostly spend a lot of time cold during the winter now. lol

I threw away my wool pea coat last year when my lovely cat actually turned it into a 'real' pee coat. >.<

This year I sprung for a new one from Ross. $23.99, satin-lined, heavy 'wool'-ish pea coat. If you have a Ross or three around, I definitely recommend them for coats.
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    We have a clothes swap here every 6 months. Everyone clears out their wardrobes and takes the clothes to the village hall. The next day each person pays 10chf (about the same in dollars) which goes to charity and then they can take one, two or even ten black bin liners worth of clothes home. I have found great clothes and shoes for myself there and soon some of them might even fit LOL. This year I am organising it so I get first pick of the clothes, I cant wait! Maybe you could organise something similar for after the holidays, you might get good donations of unwanted gifts!
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Invite a group of ladies from all of your cirlces to have a clothing swap party.
    You get a peg for every item you bring in - Those pegs are your money.
    You spend 1 peg per item.
    It's amazing what people have lurking in their wardrobe, sometimes they have put on weight and no longer wear them , orin your case lost weight and have larger clothes to give up.
    A couple of glasses of wine, and some nibbles, and you can have a great time.
    Even if you don't get anything, everyones old things can go to a charity so someone else can have a look.
    You have to remember to enter into the spirit of the party and not belittle anyone's items or they may be offended.

It's worth a shot!
    P.s I was delighted when I had to downsize my jeans, a young girl at my work bought some off me. They were all good quality expensive jeans already taken up by a tailor. She got them for $20 a pair. With the money from the sales went shopping for one really good pair in my new size.
    It's good incentive for me to stay my current shape because of my new clothes!
  • Clinno
    Clinno Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Op Shops are your best bet I reckon, I stop in at 4 different ones walking to work each day and I usually find something to spend my loose change on weather it be clothes, toys, appliances.. you might even get the odd thing you know for sure you can double your money on re-selling :)