Kentucky Grilled Chicken

Options
So on the Today show this morning they mentioned that KFC is giving away a single piece of their new "Kentucky Grilled Chicken" to each customer today. I'm going out to dinner tonight, so I didn't even have option to go a try. But it did make me curious as to what the calorie count on this stuff is. So I went to website:

http://www.kfc.com/nutrition/grilled.asp

So here is what is confusing to me. On the "serving size" line, what are those numbers? Grams? Obviously not ounces!! And if it is in Grams, how am I supposed to know how many grams their chicken breast, or other pieces, are? I just thought it was strange that they wouldn't just have it be "one breast". It leads me to believe that they are deceiving us.

Not that I would be surprised.

The other thing I was curious about is what sides they are offering to make this a "healthy meal"? Certainly not mashed potatoes, corn, and biscuits.

I haven't been near Fried Chicken in over 5 years, let alone a KFC. So if anyone has ventured in for their free chicken today, let me know!

Replies

• rethun01
    rethun01 Posts: 167
    Options
    So on the Today show this morning they mentioned that KFC is giving away a single piece of their new "Kentucky Grilled Chicken" to each customer today. I'm going out to dinner tonight, so I didn't even have option to go a try. But it did make me curious as to what the calorie count on this stuff is. So I went to website:

http://www.kfc.com/nutrition/grilled.asp

So here is what is confusing to me. On the "serving size" line, what are those numbers? Grams? Obviously not ounces!! And if it is in Grams, how am I supposed to know how many grams their chicken breast, or other pieces, are? I just thought it was strange that they wouldn't just have it be "one breast". It leads me to believe that they are deceiving us.

Not that I would be surprised.

The other thing I was curious about is what sides they are offering to make this a "healthy meal"? Certainly not mashed potatoes, corn, and biscuits.

I haven't been near Fried Chicken in over 5 years, let alone a KFC. So if anyone has ventured in for their free chicken today, let me know!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Sodium has to be through the roof as well on those..Ill have to see the link u gave thanks
  • dimplzz
    dimplzz Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I am guessing (which is scary here) that that is what their normal serving size is...
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I tried their grilled chicken last week. It was o.k. - a little dry though. I put some of their KFC hot sauce on it - not bad! I actually found the items - I had the breast and wing - listed here on MFP.

Myasty me must be right about the sodium - I didn't pay attention to it. I was up 3 lbs the next day and I had the chicken and coleslaw and diet pop. So it must be up there!

For fast food - it is a decent alternative thought - MFP listed the breast at 180 calories and the wing at 80. *Just checked my food diary - the breast checked in at 440 mg sodium and the wing at 160 mg.
  • IUChelle423
    IUChelle423 Posts: 197
    Options
    You can customize meals and see all of the nutritional info online at:

http://www.yum.com/nutrition/menu.asp?brandID_Abbr=2_KFC

The breast piece has 180 calories. I looked and I can actually have a 300 calorie meal by choosing the following:

Grilled chicken breast
    Grilled Drumstick
    2 sides of green beans

Stay away from the breads there - the biscuit has 180 calories (as much as a breast piece!) and the cornbread has 210.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

While I'd never qualify that as a low cal meal, and since it's fast food I wouldn't call it a healthy meal..... I must say if you were eating their fried chicken before and have now switched to grilled, it's likely the new meal is healthier.

Same logic as why I order a diet coke with my big mac. Not healthy by any means, but healthier. (In a caloric intake way.)