Losing it (and not in a good way)

Options
Hey all,

So I'm not sure what's up with me, it's maybe just that I'm having a bad week but I'm just not sure what to do about it. I'm 5lbs from goal at the moment, and for the last three weeks I have *not* been able to get the scale to shift. I'm feeling pretty crappy about that, but more about myself too.

I remember looking in the mirror at my highest weight and seeing all the extra fat everywhere and hating it. I know I'm (quite a lot) less than that now, and when I first got down to 145 I was so excited! I was super enthusiastic about all the changes I was seeing and feeling and how much better my fitness and (I presumed) my health was too. Now, at the same weight, I look in the mirror and just see all the problems I still have to work on, the areas that might have muscle under them now but still covered in fat and I hate it. :cry:

But I hate thinking this way about myself too. I don't like the obsessive edge it gives my eating/weighing in/measuring and I hate being down on myself. I'm maybe just stuck in a rut but could really do with some support just now... I want to love myself again!

Replies

• SamHughes15
    SamHughes15 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    You have basically just described exactly how i feel all the time!

Keeping an eye on this for any advise.
    x
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    woah! Did you feel that wave?? Cuz we are in the same boat LOL. I too have been slowly trying to get off the last 7 lbs. Fluctuating up and down 1 to 2 lbs. I'm not giving up and really trying to re train my brain to see the new me and not the 240 lb me. It's hard. It's a mental thing. We will get there. Don't give up.

Nichole
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Sorry Im no help....Im in the same boat with ya girls!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    same here! :/
  • ajfrench
    ajfrench Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    The last few pounds are always the toughest to lose. Have you been working out the last three weeks? If so, I'll bet you've lost inches if not weight. You said you see all the problems you have left - I assume that's "jiggly" places on your body. Remember that exercise will help significantly. I know this may not help, but focus on the areas you can improve on and the 5 lbs. will follow.
  • mad4beinhere
    mad4beinhere Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys,
    We have this quote on the wall and it says,
    "Its not how far we have to go but look at how far you have come"

This is so true about all of us on this fantastic journey that we forget to enjoy the benefits of our journey, be happy with yourself and love the new you. Stop looking in the mirror for a while and enjoy.

Then the work begins on the last 5lb. Change it up with your exercise, work those big muscle groups, buttocks and thighs, eat your protein for your muscles and plenty of vegetables. The more the merrier.
    Look at what Jillian Michaels did for her Biggest loser contestants. She made sure that they ate their meals.

Hope this helps.
  • slicksps
    Options
    I had that about a month ago, I got down to 9kg off my weight and I was waiting to celebrate the 10th... and waiting... and waiting...

I was getting very down but I kept on with it, I stayed strict, one day I even virtually starved myself to kick start the loss back to my old pattern... nothing worked...

Then out of the blue after about 4 weeks of the same weight, it started moving again...

I didn't do anything different, I can't explain why it stopped or started again.

My advice to you is double check your MFP targets to make sure your weight/deficit is all correct, keep on with your calorie deficit, (perhaps add a half hour+ walk or two), and make sure you're adding every calorie in and out into the system and that you're not missing anything. (I've heard some people saying Vodka + diet cokes are calorie free for instance and they weren't logging them; which is completely wrong)

It WILL start moving again, and probably very soon! Hang in there!
  • patsyanne
    Options
    Wow!! I feel sorry for you. Remember that plateaus come along especially when you are close to goal. Dont get down on yourself...put a picture of you then and you now up to look at and see the true you that has come through the journey and looks good like you now... shake up the exercise or the food and after a bit you will see the scale do something again. Dont give up and let that old you start to show. The fat/bulges that you are seeing are from your past and really not there for others to see any more. Good luck and DON'T GIVE UP!!!
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Rather than focus on what you still have to achieve, focus on what you have achieved! Then do something different - get up earlier and clean the house/go for a run/go shopping - something less routine. Note how much more energy you now have. Don't worry about the morphic distortion - it takes times to accept changes and as long as you continue to be disciplined you will be fine. One important question though - a nd a word of warning - is your goal realistic or are you going lower than you need to? I don't know your shape or height but for me at 5'6" 147lbs is a realistic goal that suits my frame. But other 5'6" females could go as high as 154lbs and as low as 114lbs - it depends on your frame, age etc. If you are really struggling it may be your body does not want to be thinnner.
  • bigbugboo
    Options
    Hi

I've got another 7.5lbs to go, and am exercising most everyday. I was able to get myself out of a rut by cutting my carb intake to between 50 and 70g and upping my protein to approx 1g per lb of body weight. This is helping shift the last stubborn lbs and without the need to starve myself. Keep moving too, as you need to keep burning the calories too.

I hope this may be of some help. :smile:
  • 21katykat01
    Options
    Wow isn't it funny how many of us are in the same boat?

I'm being very careful with my tracking and started the 30DS on Sunday so I'm keeping everything crossed that I might see a difference there. It's maybe just a funk or a fat day or whatever but it's just so hard you know? I know it's in my head and I maybe just need to hit it against the wall a few times!
  • 21katykat01
    Options
    is your goal realistic or are you going lower than you need to? I don't know your shape or height but for me at 5'6" 147lbs is a realistic goal that suits my frame. But other 5'6" females could go as high as 154lbs and as low as 114lbs - it depends on your frame, age etc. If you are really struggling it may be your body does not want to be thinnner.

I think so - I'd originally set it for 133lbs (9st 7lbs) but I felt when I hit 147 I just couldn't do another 14lbs! So I changed it to 140, which is in my healthy BMI range.

Good point to mention though, because that is definitely somehting I had to change along the way was my expectations of what I was going to achieve. The weight I was at 16 just wasn't realistic to me know I've made it to my 20's.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    is your goal realistic or are you going lower than you need to? I don't know your shape or height but for me at 5'6" 147lbs is a realistic goal that suits my frame. But other 5'6" females could go as high as 154lbs and as low as 114lbs - it depends on your frame, age etc. If you are really struggling it may be your body does not want to be thinnner.

I think so - I'd originally set it for 133lbs (9st 7lbs) but I felt when I hit 147 I just couldn't do another 14lbs! So I changed it to 140, which is in my healthy BMI range.

Good point to mention though, because that is definitely somehting I had to change along the way was my expectations of what I was going to achieve. The weight I was at 16 just wasn't realistic to me know I've made it to my 20's.

This is exactly what I was going to say. Your goal is not your body's goal. Your body may be keeping that weight on for health reasons. It happens too often to everyone. When we are overweight, the upper lbs are easy to lose because our body knows it doesn't need them. I can't lose the last 10 I'd like to lose either.

I also agree that your weight at 16 is unrealistic for your weight now. If you walk through a high school and look at all the girls, they are basically thinner than adult women. Go a step further and look at middle school girls. They look like young horses or deer. Then look at an adult horse or deer. Same thing, right?
  • 21katykat01
    Options
    Yeh I know.

I think I might just write today off! Not food/exercise wise but study-wise, I am just not getting anyway. Maybe if I just take some time to chill out I'll feel better tomorrow.