How to stay fuller longer especially at the end of the day

Options
Im having issues with eating all my calories for the day and STILL end up hungry around 6-7am
It's literally driving me batty - I want to eat something but know I have to log it and that'll just mess up my calorie count for the day

I don't exercise (full time employee & full time night student)
Drink at least 6-8 cups of water a day
Stay away from processed food & refined sugar

Im looking for suggestions how to stay fuller longer, and maybe-finally stop the thoughts of and need/want for food at night

any help is appreciated!

Replies

• jagar07
    jagar07 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    exercise is really important, even a quick 20 minute workout will help. Not only will you gain more calories so you can snack a little more, but it's really important for weight loss and overall health. Once I stopped making excuses for myself and started running, I fell in love with it and now I don't want to stop. It helps me FEEL better which is overall what we all want isn't it?
  • debloves2ride
    Options
    I do the same thing - I think it is habit more than anything else. I have started to get busy when my thoughts turn to food at night. I pick up a book, pick up the kitchen or something. It seems to work. they say it takes 7 days to make or break a habit. I am on my 5th day and I noticed last night it didn't take long for me to divert my attention!
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I'm a full time student and work nights after school. I try and squeeze in ANY exercise that I can. A break at school, or at work. Try and go for a 10 minute walk or something. You will have extra calories to eat when you do get hungry.

Try to get a lot of low cal snacks. I am hungry a lot, so I stocked up on 100 calorie bars and special K breakfast bars. I eat eggs or oatmeal in the morning.

Hope that helps..
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Im having issues with eating all my calories for the day and STILL end up hungry around 6-7am

Morning!! Have you tried Chia Seeds yet? You can buy them in the bulk bins at Whole Foods. Just add them to your dinner or after dinner snack. Good luck
  • lauragoat
    lauragoat Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    The only problem with stocking up on 100 calories snacks is that you have to be able to only eat one... or however many.... that's the hard part for ME!

I have started trying to go to bed hungry... it makes me feel like I am accomplishing something for the day... weird.. I know!
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    protein and fiber! protein and fiber! and healthy snacks. and lots of water. and coffee is also an appetite suppressant, but it's not exactly a healthy strategy. also it helps to just get your mind off things--watch a movie (without popcorn), paint your nails, take a bath, call a friend.
  • plagirl227
    Options
    Big salads... Raw fruits and vegetables tend to fill you up.
  • nacs246
    nacs246 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Yes exercise does help but I would look at how much of GOOD Fats and GOOD Proteins you are eating?
    THe good fats like Avocado's, Nuts,peanut butter,olive oil to name but a few are the ones when in co-operated in your diet does help you feel fuller and more satisfied longer,
    If you eat these with healthy proteins viz ,fish, eggs etc I am sure you will find the difference:).

Sorry also forgot to mention High fibre foods found in veggies and fruits and whole grains keep you full for a much longer time than refined sugars.
  • kalexander2005
    kalexander2005 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Can't see your food diary, so IDK if you are already doing what I do. But, when I had problems with this, I lowered my carb intake and bumped up the protein. I will typically have a piece of low fat cheese right before bed, and it seems to be working for me pretty well.! I like Jorge Cruises Belly Fat Cure Fast Track diet best. Good luck
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    100 calorie popcorn bag, it takes lots of time to eat and has fiber. And no one says you have to eat it all, just nibble on it and when the urge passes throw the rest out. Good Luck!
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    It's not just how much you eat, *what* you eat counts as well. I don't exercise much, either, but I've managed to lose weight just by changing my diet. Try eating fewer carbs (which are burned very quickly by the body; they start digesting even before they get to your stomach!) and more protein (which is both digested and burned more slowly). You can eat the same number of calories, but protein will keep you full for much longer. I like to snack on a cheese wedge, a hard-boiled or deviled egg, a piece of beef jerky, Greek yogurt, or a protein powder drink. Avoid things like crackers, chips and fruit at the end of the day.

Also, try pre-planning your day. Every morning, I log what I *think* I will eat during the day, including at snack times. What I'm bringing for lunch, what I plan to do for supper, etc. Then if the total is over my goals, I can tweak it ahead of time. At the end of the day, I may or may not have stuck with my plan, and I usually have to go in and change some of my entries. But at least the pre-planning gives me a good way to try & budget my calories ahead of time and leave a little extra for a bedtime snack.

Good luck!
  • alwayssummer
    Options
    Try to squeeze in a quick walk or something. Exercise will help! Air popped popcorn is a strategy a dietitian shared with me... It is very low in calories and you can have a few cups of it. And then when you're really feeling the hungries at least you know you can have something if you can't divert your attention elsewhere.. Also, maybe a cup of tea?
    Good luck!!
  • julie204
    julie204 Posts: 130
    Options
    i would try and fill up on fruitand vegatables how about making a vegatable soup for breakfas t this mornin i had 125g of brown rice whith dry roasted veg a boiled egg and 35g of tuna mixed in filled me up till lunch and i am a terible one for s:smile: nacking weird for breakfast but did the trick
  • moxleymama6
    moxleymama6 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    After dinner, I have a bottomless cup of unsweetened herbal tea in my hand...literally when I drink the last swallow, I refill & repeat!
  • dizam
    dizam Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I try to eat more fiber and protein during the day, it keeps me fuller thru the whole day. And if I'm hungry at around bed time, I have a big cup of sleepy time tea (16oz)

A piece of gum is another thing that helps me if I feel I have to chew something.
  • lrwest68
    Options
    I am also a student and working. Although I am part-time at both , it is still very stressful. The kind of stress we are under releases extra cortisol which can wreck havoc on your weight loss attempts. Try to find 30 minutes in your day to take a walk, it is a great de-stressor and gets you extra points. Can you record your class lectures and listen to them while you walk? 10 or 15 minutes of meditation can work wonders also.Hang in there and get through finals and the holidays, and I know you'll feel better. Check out this link, it may help.
    http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=53304
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Eat less calories earlier in the day and more calories at night, essentially allowing yourself to eat late without going over.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    The only problem with stocking up on 100 calories snacks is that you have to be able to only eat one... or however many.... that's the hard part for ME!

I have started trying to go to bed hungry... it makes me feel like I am accomplishing something for the day... weird.. I know!

I'm a poor student, that probably helps me only eat one xD Every bar is this precious piece of food... T_T
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Big salads... Raw fruits and vegetables tend to fill you up.

I soooooo wish this was the case with me, I have tried this theory out so many times and I always feel hungry within 30 minutes

:grumble:
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    After dinner, I have a bottomless cup of unsweetened herbal tea in my hand...literally when I drink the last swallow, I refill & repeat!

I agree, it seems to help me cut down on the portions I eat at dinner time as well if I drink it before I eat.