dizziness, pounding heart, ect

whenever i work out i feel very dizzy, lightheaded, shortness of breath and my heart feels like it is gonna jump out of my chest. i seen my dr many times for this and even seen a cardiologist. Everything appears fine but the last time i really pushed myself i ended up passing out about 5 min after my workout ended. i seen my dr againa nd still everything is fine. Now whenever i workout i get anxiety which added to my other symptoms is making working out impossible. Anyone have any tips or ideas for me? I want to push myself, i want to feel the burn, i want to lose weight and more then anything i want to be healthy! Do you think i am just really that out of shape?

Replies

• Boo_08
    Boo_08 Posts: 94 Member
    Try packing an orange jucie, when you go to the gym... when you start to feel light headed. have some or when you finished ... my light headed ness is attributed to having hypoglycaemia which I find I have alot less of the more I work out and the more I eat healthy. This may not be your issue but I know an orange juice usually helps when I get dizzy.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Sounds like you need a new doctor.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    I used to have symptoms like that on a regular basis. Usually if I was walking, or doing any physical activity. It turns out that everything was stress related. Anxiety can also do it to you. I agree with some other people on here, try bringing orange juice and maybe working out a little less hard. Don't push yourself.

edit;; have you had your thyroid screened?
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Stress, not enough calories, not the right type of calories, hypoglycemia, anxiety are all possible problems, could be others as well. Maybe it is time to schedule an appointment with another dr? Take in your food diary and exercise plan and discuss them along with your symptoms.
  • rpphillip
    rpphillip Posts: 230 Member
    yes I agree with Boo, but your dr should have checked that and also watch how you are breathing , and take it slow and build up to pushing your self , if you have not been working out, you can't start at the top you have to work your way up.
  • Have they tested your sugar? Sounds kind of like I get when I'm having a hypoglycemic episode. I drink juice to snap out of it quickly, and I try to eat things that help stabilize blood sugars: raw almonds, whole grains, fresh vegetables.
  • I typically find there are two answers to this both a little extreme: you either have a medical condition or are being dramatic. If you actually blackout its probably the former, if you just "feel" this way, the latter.
  • I use to get the same symptoms! My recommendations: work through your anxiety. Whenever I'm pushing myself and start getting anxious about the possibility of the above symptoms come on, I talk myself through it. Unfortunately, a lot of your symptoms might be self-impossed. I find the more I worry about these things happening, the more often they happen. By telling yourself that your okay and that you can slow down if you need to or stop all together, you might find some relief. Otherwise, you might be pushing yourself too hard and stressing your body out. You may mentally think you can achieve something, but your body might not be ready for it.
  • I had similar symptoms and my doctor determined I had excercise induced asthma. She said it was pretty common and can come on later in life. I use an inhaler about 20 minutes before I work out and it seems to help. I know several people who have had this issue as well. I'm surprised you doctor didn't mention this... maybe time for a new one!
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    I'm hypoglycemic and this happens to me. The best thing I have found to help it is to regularly eat every 2-3 hours (complex carbs, proteins, etc) to keep my blood sugar above 60 and that usually helps. Its not something I can just have orange juice before a workout to prevent.. have to keep it up all the time.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    You do have to rule out blood glucose issues. Your symptoms are not entirely typical of low blood sugar, but it's something to look at.

These symptoms can also be related to some types of anxiety/panic attacks. The name suggests emotional turmoil, but, in fact, they are more often a result of biochemical issues and not necessarily directly related to "emotional" events. For some people, exercise can help mitigate the symptoms, but for others, it can exacerbate them. Unfortunately, these symptoms will often not show up during a routine doctor's visit.

I am a little surprised that no one has done a more extensive work up on you, given the frequency of your symptoms, but, like I said, they can often be tough to track down and most docs these days are too busy to go into a lot of detail.

Since none of are qualified to really go into medical details, the best I do is make some recommendations that can be helpful regardless of what is causing your symptoms. Proper sleep and diet are two things, but also be realistic about your exercise routine. If your body cannot tolerate being pushed hard, then stop pushing. Stick to low-level exercise for now and see what happens. The body can often adapt to a wide range of circumstances, but sometimes the stimulus must be applied very gently and very gradually. Good luck
  • nikki778
    nikki778 Posts: 148 Member
    Terrible feeling. I as well had that happen although I wasnt eating enough & working out like an animal
    I was also stressed & began having anxiety.

Try warming up & cooling down, Dont go so crazy
    slow & steady wins the race. Yes you burn more going at it like an animal but youll burn yourself out just as fast & may harm yourself resulting in not being able to work out.

Also make sure youre breathing full belly breaths~ not breathing properly will cause dizziness & tightness.

I understand the frustration & the determination to get the weight off but since you didnt gain the weight overnight youre not going to lose it overnight. Be gentle on your body, breathe & workout little by little your stamina will build & the weight will drop. =)
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Anxiety can really play with your mind and body! It could be what is doing this. I used to have this happen when I would look at the numbers on the fitness machine and see that my heart rate was extremely high (especially if the machine had a zone alert and was telling me that it was too hight). When I would see the high number I would have a little mini anxiety attack with my heart pounding and feeling dizzy just like you said. (I also have this problem when I have to go to the doctor for what I expect will be a painful procedure, or if I ride a roller coaster, or other ride that goes high.). The actual FEAR of being afraid and then passing out, etc. is what does it for me.

So, once I stopped using the pulse monitors on the machines, and exercised moderately, it was better. (reading a book or watching TV also would distract me). I gradually worked up to greater intensity. Once I saw that it didn't "hurt" me to do strenuous exercise, I was okay. I just had to prove it to myself. Now I am able to run regularly (outside) and even monitor my pulse rate with a heart rate monitor. My heart rate regularly goes into the highest heart rate zone, but I know it will be okay! So it doesn't bother me.

You may have to work through this slowly. But first rule out any heart conditions with your doctor. As stated above, you may need to see another doctor to make sure, even if it is just for your own peace of mind. Then build your confidence day by day.

By the way, if it is anxiety that is causing this, there is a name for it--I believe it is called a vaso-vagal response. It is not just in your mind. But my understanding is that it is not harmful (other than making you miserable).
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    After a quick read, everyone provided some good answers. The only thing I would add is to make sure you are drinking enough water. On days I don't drink a lot of water, I get dehydrated. I'm not talking about drinking just while you are working out either. You have to drink water throughout the day.
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Maybe invest in a heart rate monitor to make sure you aren't over exerting yourself during workouts. Having snacks before and after workouts helps me. I suffer from anxiety so I know how awful it is. I would definitely scale back your workouts and see if that helps. Don't push yourself if this continues. Try a different doctor and force them to figure out what's going on with you. You'd be surprised what a second opinion will reveal. So sorry you are dealing with this.
  • Wow look at all these great comments ! You got people that care about you that dont even know you:)

I am having the same problems too, but i haven't passed out yet. I am still working out but im taking it slower and listening to my body. Make sure your breathing well while working out, and sit up straight. Sometimes when people work out they focus so hard on the work out they really do forget to fully breath. Also try taking Daily vitamins. Have you had a stress test done? Just dont over do it on your work outs. You can lose weight with doing the same moderate work out. Your strengthening your heart in the long run. Take it easy and dont be so hard on yourself about losing weight. It will happen just give your body time for all these changes

Prayers your way

God bless and keep your head up

xoxo

GetWellSoon-13.jpg
  • whenever i work out i feel very dizzy, lightheaded, shortness of breath and my heart feels like it is gonna jump out of my chest. i seen my dr many times for this and even seen a cardiologist. Everything appears fine but the last time i really pushed myself i ended up passing out about 5 min after my workout ended. i seen my dr againa nd still everything is fine. Now whenever i workout i get anxiety which added to my other symptoms is making working out impossible. Anyone have any tips or ideas for me? I want to push myself, i want to feel the burn, i want to lose weight and more then anything i want to be healthy! Do you think i am just really that out of shape?

HI. The symptoms you are having are real! These same symptoms sent me to the emergency room 4 times within a 3 month period. Oddly enough, when I cut back on my exercise I didn't have an attack, and haven't had one in a while.

My doctor suggested that I stop exercising so hard, walk at an easy pace and don't let my heart rate get too fast.

I have seen a cardiologist, had all of the stress tests done, MRI, CAT Scans, Echocardiogram, treadmill stress test coupled with echo and ultrasound, talked to a neurologist, and waiting to see an endocrinologist. Apparently I have some thyroid issues that can cause anxiety symptoms, thankfully it isn't my heart.

So, you need to rule out blood glucose issues, as well as your thyroid. When it comes to your thyroid make sure they check your TSH, Free T3 and T4 levels. Women may have issues with their thyroid and not even know it until they start losing weight, this is what happened to me.

Feel free to message me.
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    What kind of workouts are you doing? Did your cardiologist do a stress test? If your blood pressure and heart rate aren't the problem, then it could be a sugar issue. Or it could just be you're pushing yourself too hard, too early.

After an intense 90 minute workout in the morning I experienced the same thing several times. I couldn't stand or drive home. Stress test came back fine, bp is normal. I know longer do cardio the same day I strength train because it wears me out too much. Might need to cut things back a little and ease into it.
  • keldawm
    keldawm Posts: 35 Member
    I have had these issues in the past. Found out I have issues with low iron and low bp. I make sure I drink plenty of fluids before and during my workouts. I also changed multi vitamins to ones with more iron. Also, make sure you are taking in enough calories for your workouts.
  • nikibob
    nikibob Posts: 165 Member
    i didn't see this mentioned so i'll add my two cents here.

for a while when i would try to run (the only exercise i was doing at the time) i would experience dizziness and a feeling of walking across a boat deck that is rocking. i limited myself to the treadmill so that i would have rails to grab on to so i wouldn't fall down. i got to really dreading exercising for fear of symptoms. when i talked to my doctor we reasoned that my migraine medication was causing my blood pressure to stay too low, which wasn't a big problem until i was trying to push myself.

not sure if this fits but something like that mixed with the anxiety of feeling those symptoms might account for it. hope this helps!