wardrobe dilemmas

Options
Don't have any clothes that fit properly anymore and am in between sizes (10-12 UK). Don't want to buy too small clothes in case I never get there but not worth investing in clothes that are slightly too big. Just got measured at Bravissimo and I am now 32G (from a 38E) which is a whole other expense...

I am glad at the weight loss but feeling miserable that I can't afford to buy new clothes (i'm a student) and reluctant to do so if I'm going to lose some more. Only want to lose another 6/7 pounds which should make me a comfortable 10 (on the waist at least). (I already downsized by favourite denim skirt and need to do it again.. £45...)

Without wishing to be a snob I must confess I do prefer to pay a bit more for well cut clothes - investment pieces. I have clothes I've had for 8 -10 years and I prefer to look after them and repair them when necessary rather than buying cheap clothes you throw away after one season (I don't like the waste involved in that and dread to think what people who make those clothes earn).

Have others been in the same position? How did you deal with it? Did you buy clothes eon Ebay/in charity stores? Get clothes adjusted professionally? Some ideas please!

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I would suggest taking the clothes you like the most to a tailor and have them taken in. I have a few pairs of work slacks that I am doing that with because they are nice quality and I don't want to have to buy new clothes when I only have 20 lbs to go.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I had high priced clothes altered to fit . Also, did the thrift stores and resale shops, found a ton of cute things.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Yes, charity shops in better off areas tend to have higher quality labels :)
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    As you say you have good quality clothes then I would recommend you look to get a couple of items altered professionally. You should be able to find someone local to you. It's not cheap but it should be less than buying something completely new. I am told there are good bargains to be had on ebay too.
  • Sweet_Southern_Tea
    Options
    Yes, I am having that problem now. I can wear 10 or 12s (US) in slacks and as small as 8s in dresses. I started thrifting and I've been slowly selling my old clothes to have more more to thrift shop with. My old clothes were literally falling off me and I was not paying tons of money to get them altered. I also didn't need a reminder of how big I use to be. I love thrift shopping. I don't shop in regular stores at all anymore.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I alter many of my own clothes. But even having them professionally altered is cheaper than buying the type of clothes you describe.
  • Cleo200
    Cleo200 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    How about a bundle/joblot from ebay?

I bought myself a mass of "inbetween" clothes from there for £30, some lady was clearing out stuff that never fitted properly or that she never wore, most of it was new with tags too, it saw me through when I was inbetween sizes. There are lots of listings of bundles, some totally new (If you dont want to wear second hand)

I have a bag of size 10/12 clothes myself I'm just about to give to charity,skinny jeans, casual/going out tops etc that don't fit as I'm now an 8/10. Nothing fancy, river island, topshop etc... Happy to send it to you if you want to pay the postage? There might be a couple of bitts you might wear that will see you through for a bit.

Message me where your location is (thats if you're UK) and I can weigh it and let you know 2nd class parcel cost if you like. Would rather see stuff used than go to waste!

I'm in Surrey if you wanted to collect.

Cleo :o)