Inspiration

Options
Hi MFP'ers. I joined in 2009 and went through a phase of weight loss then injury (knee) then lately illness. I am trying to get back on the straight and narrow and the exercise seems to help me feel better. Endorphins and all that. I really would like some motivation from my pals right now and would love to get back in contact.

I started exercising again 2wks ago and was doing Hip Hop Abs. I realise that this time round I was using up less energy than I'd like to and thus the calorie burn is lower. I have an FT4 Polar HRM and I believe it is pretty accurate. Yesterday I started doing C25K and I've done 2days in a row. I am in my fat burn zone for 20mins out of the 30 which is a lot better for me. My body aches a little but I must press on. I feel the knee injury still when I run. Has anyone any suggestions on how to strengthen my joints especially the injured knee? Just downloaded One Fifty Dips as my triceps are horrendous at the moment. :cry:

Are there any other workouts that you guys know that expels a lot of energy? I have Insanity but will get back to that when I am at my utmost best health-wise. I am doing well on the food front. It has always been a lot simpler to manage than the workouts.

Anyway, just reaching out and reintroducing myself. Speak to you guys soon. :smile:

Replies

• melgibson
    melgibson Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Well hunny, I am here for you as I have always been :flowerforyou:
    Just say the word and I'll help in anyway I can.
    I think you will do great with the C25K, I can not recommend it highly enough.
    As for the knees maybe some strengthening exercises would be good, maybe we can look some up, I think that is what you need, also a knee support will help too. I think actually running and your body getting used to running will allow this to heal, that is what I found for my hip and ankle issues anyway, the running helped as it was done in a controlled way and it allowed my body to get used to the shock slowly.

Give me a shout if you need anything :drinker:
  • 1myfit
    1myfit Posts: 69
    Options
    I think you should let you knee heal more. It does take awhile.....but beats slowing the healing process down more. You will get there. Trust me....been there,done that. Swimming is a great workout and easy on the knees.
  • justesje
    justesje Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you missy. You have been a huge support for me on here. I will try looking for a knee support and see what strengthening exercises I can find online. melgibson, do you think I should take a break after Wk 1 Day 3 of C25K?
  • lcouterm
    lcouterm Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    First if you hurt your knee DON'T PUSH IT focus on your diet, something i've discoverd though is the (Funks) sparticus workout on the web it's free and a lot of it is low impact so look at it put together what you can use from it. Wii (if you have one) has lots of good low impact workout stuff. But mostly want you to know that your my inpiration.
  • justesje
    justesje Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I injured the knee over a year ago. I thought it would've healed by now. I did take the longest break for it to "appear" to heal. It was only when running I noticed it was a bit shaky. How have you been lcouterm? 1myfit, I will take up swimming as I need to get better at it anyway. :smile:
  • melgibson
    melgibson Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I injured the knee over a year ago. I thought it would've healed by now. I did take the longest break for it to "appear" to heal. It was only when running I noticed it was a bit shaky. How have you been lcouterm? 1myfit, I will take up swimming as I need to get better at it anyway. :smile:

That is the reason why I didn't advise more rest, I remember when you did this knee injury and it should have healed by now if it was going to completely, I think it is going to be like my ''shred'' knee, certain things will irritate it but we still need to be able to exercise. I think strengthening the knees will help lots.
    And yes I think if the knee is twinging then a break would be good, do it the way the plan is designed as long as your knee feels ok with that, otherwise maybe space out the c25k sessions a little more to allow more recovery time between sessions. For me it was easier than any other running attempt I had done and I found that running in a controlled way helped my previous injuries after a while as it strengthened my legs.