Does MFP Motivate YOU?

Options
Does MFP motivate you? Please breifly explain why, how, when, or whatever else you'd like to add. I was more curious to see how others feel on this site.

For me, it does. MFP provides an atmosphere geared towards fitness. There are people on here that are trying to loose weight, gain weight, and/or just trying to be healthy. Also, there is a lot of knowlege to be found on this site. I think that motivates me to get on and learn more about fitness. Another motivating thing about this site is that there are definitly some people who have already achieved really nice results and are now helping others. Trainers and all help just out of the kindness of their hearts. I personally love the site and would love to hear from everyone too:)

Replies

• MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Yes.

The sense of community and "we're in this together" is very motivating. My road is long, and there are many pitfalls along the way... when I'm having an off day (or week, or month), my MFP help pull me through and keep my eyes on the prize. It's similar to how I conduct myself in life: I surround myself with people I can learn from that have similar goals and/or values. Mix in a few people that have VERY DIFFERENT goals and values for perspective, pop that into a 97 degree oven and bake for a lifetime.

I also like the accountability part. Everything is public on my profile - the good, the bad, the ugly. The days I don't log - are there too. I find it just helps keep it top of mind for me. When I'm out and about, I also find myself asking, "Do you really want to have to log eating THAT?!" And sometimes, the answer is no.

While I'm extremely autonomous in my life in general, this type of support is shockingly helpful. I find I can seek it out when I need it and use it less when I don't. I've also found encouraging others seems to motivate me as well.

Best of luck to you. Great question.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    MFP absolutely motivates me. I doubt I would have had the success that I have, had it not been for MFP. The diary share option and the ability to have friends that have the same goals or similar goals allotted accountability I have never had before. Even with all the the personal trainers I have hired I didn't have the same level of what I felt like was responsibility. I didn't want to let my MFP friends down so I ate better and completed my diary so they could read it. I pushed harder for each workout to prove I could do it. I would (and still do) have calorie burn competitions or get involved in monthly challenges (logging miles, push-ups, squats, whatever...) and focusing on my FITNESS instead of just the numbers staring back at me from the scale (those blasted numbers that sometimes never seemed to move).

The community aspect has been very important to me and I feel blessed to be part of the MFP community now perhaps inspiring people the way I have been inspired (and continue to be inspired) by people that have overcome so much. These people kept me grounded and reminded me that all the blood sweat and tears we not all for naught and that the end result would be worth it. In fact, they still do. :smile:

And they were right- the work, it was worth it and continues to be,

:flowerforyou:

I love my MFPee-ers!
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I love these answers so far. I agree about the accountability aspect too. Even further though, I've learned how to estimate what I am eating better. I now know how I will be effected by certain foods I am eating.

I love my MFPers too haha.
  • megjay18
    megjay18 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    it motivates me for a few reasons. 1) my diary is open for my friends to view, so if i eat bad foods - they'll see it. 2) i enjoy logging in my exercise. it makes me feel good not only for exercising, but because i have an actual number to show for it. 3) i love looking through the success stories. i think it shows that if you stick with it, you WILL see results.
  • kellyjamespro
    kellyjamespro Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It was very hard to find people that I personally knew on a journey to be healthy. This was somewhat discouraging. I started looking for groups on FB, youtube and meetup.com but no consistency. When I found MFP it was a relief. So many people on here who are accountable, consistent and motivated. It makes a world of difference to not have to do this alone.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    No, I don't really need external motivation.
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I respect the honesty in this. I was trying to think about it and wondered if I needed it too. I mean, I started my fitness before joining MFP and was getting results. But after thinking about it, MFP has helped me and I think it will continue to help me. I love giving advice as well as receiving it. It's kept me honest and I don't stay off track long.
    No, I don't really need external motivation.
  • prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I dont have weight loss buddies in the real world so you guys are my buddies every one I know just ask how I am doing it and dont belive me or wont commit to it So gave up trying to get others join the site but every thing from diet to exercise I learn here and I have some awesome friends on the site as well I check on them and encourage daily
  • Alicianjames
    Options
    Yes, because I don't have alot of friends or people around me who are constantly on journey to being and staying healthy! :)
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Totally respect it, just not in that boat. Not sure it should be classified as external motivation exactly... I prefer to think of it as eliciting my intrinsic motivation by supporting others. Semantics? Maybe. Just sounds better (and feels more accurate) than needing external motivation.