plateau?

Options
Does anyone have any tips for breaking a weightloss plateau? i would deff apperciate some advice ! xx

Replies

• fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    change what you are doing. doing the same thing over and over your body gets used to it. includes eating the exact same calories every day or doing the same exercise every day.
  • Shayyy01
    Shayyy01 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Try a zig zagging your calories. It was mentioned to me back in the day and it helped alot.
    For me i did : 1 day at 1200 calories the next 1500 then back to 1200ish
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    How long have you been stuck?
  • tinywithaBIGheart
    Options
    would making my calorie higher today and the next lower do anything ? and then get back on track afterwards ?
  • tinywithaBIGheart
    Options

about two weeks .
  • Sidesteal
    Options

about two weeks .

If it were me, I wouldn't change much of anything yet, but ultimately that's up to you. You're obviously getting near the end of your weight loss if your profile is current. Do you ever do high calorie days or cheat days and do you eat back any exercise calories?
  • nellie_88
    nellie_88 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    bump
  • roosterblue
    roosterblue Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Usually increasing the intensity of my workout will help jump my body off of that plateau. Just make sure you are varying your foods daily and maybe get in at least one intense workout a week. Vary it up!
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Bump...
  • tinywithaBIGheart
    Options

about two weeks .

If it were me, I wouldn't change much of anything yet, but ultimately that's up to you. You're obviously getting near the end of your weight loss if your profile is current. Do you ever do high calorie days or cheat days and do you eat back any exercise calories?

not really , my calorie intake has been pretty steady for a while now.
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Maybe increase the intensity and calorie intake. Don't be afraid to add calories. You have to experiment a bit because everyones body is different. The other thing to remember is that this is no race. Patience can be key also.
  • tinywithaBIGheart
    Options
    would making my calorie higher today and the next lower do anything ? and then get back on track afterwards ?
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    I would give it two more weeks and if you're still stuck, I'd try taking a couple of days in a row at maintenance intake and then go back to your deficit.

That's just my opinion.

EDIT: And in regard to your question, it could if your hormone levels are low.
  • AndreaWyland
    AndreaWyland Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I know what worked for me was being COMPLETELY honest with myself on what goes in my mouth. I quit taking bites of the kids snacks and grabbing a handful of this and that. I quit have a "free" this or that. Ive been within the same 5 pds for a yr, was extremely frustrated but down a pd finally with only 10 left to go. Made a huge difference being a nazi about food, measure, weigh, track, eat back exercise cal when Im hungry leave a few when Im not, good fats, lots of fiber, lots of fruit/vegt. and complex carbs... Im on my way! Oh and I think cutting back on too much cardio and doing more weight resistance stuff is helping, doing the p90x routine again on wk 6:) Good luck, just something to try:) 2 weeks is hardly a plateau in comparison but I know it can be frustrating so keep at it!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

about two weeks .

Or, before you even ask yourself this question, ask yourself if you've been consistent enough to even say for sure that you are stuck.
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    stay with it...eat a little more, then consider lifting ... it's brutal to the scale :explode:
  • goforkissy
    goforkissy Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Bump. I have been stuck for about a month now.
  • autumnridge
    autumnridge Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I'm sure it is psychological and I am sabotaging me! The last time my weight was this low was in the mid 70's! I talk to me about the need to get down lower and the need to be healthy, but I keep fighting myself and the new low. I know what I have to do, and all I have to do is get down to it, so I have been fluctuating with a two pound gain and loss for weeks now.
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I'm honestly not really the right one to be answering this. I feel like I'm further away from my goal. I have to change mines to possibly loose another 10lbs..

My thoughts though, simply zig-zagging for a day wouldn't do too much. Maybe add some calories for a week or too, see what it does, then drop.

The other thought would be start strength training to add muscle so that it will burn off additional calories. To do this though, you'd have to gain weight and eat a bit more (also gain a little fat). After you can try to cut again, but it's a lot easier to burn fat especially with addition muscle.

I look at this as more trial and error as well as a waiting game. You have to have patience. If you rush it, you will get discouraged or just put on all the weight you loss.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well considering you are 5'4" and 107, I would seriously look into increasing your weight by adding muscle. According to the standards, you are already under weight. This isn't saying that all the standards are for everyone but it something to consider. Lowering your body fat will make you have a smaller waist, if that is what you are looking for. Really at this point, the weight you are probably losing is muscle which is bad. Just my suggestions. Below is some good examples of what it means to increase muscle mass (which does increase weight)

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/army/l/blweightfemale.htm

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat