Should I take a break?

Options
I am a week and a half away from finishing Insanity, and last night during my workout, I pulled a muscle in my back. Also, my knees are giving me some trouble today. I am 23 years old; way too young to have these problems.

So here are my questions:
Should I continue to do my work-outs and work through the pain since I am so close? Should I take a few days off to heal? Or should I replace Insanity with some other exercise for a couple of days?

Any answers or advice would be great. Thanks everyone!!

Replies

• chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    If you pulled a muscle, I would take it easy. Maybe just walk to burn some extra calories, but take it easy a few days until you feel up to the hard workouts again.
  • rachjones2011
    rachjones2011 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yea take it easy, you don't want it to get any worse.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I really don't know a lot about how to care for a pulled muscle, so my advice might not be good. But, maybe you could do the recovery week exercise for a few days until it heals? Or maybe it would be better to just take a few days off until you're feeling better again and then get back into it? good luck, I hope it heals soon!
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    you have to rest that body...keep diligent in other areas and even workout where you can, but you'll put yourself in a bad way if you ignore a potentially harmful injury.

walk and eat right...you don't have to stop everything.

hope you feel better quick!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Pain from sore muscles is something you can work through. Injuries mean take a break. You'll only make them worse if you don't.
  • hjohns65
    hjohns65 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    heat and ibuprofen for 24hrs!!!!!! than ice it, do not stop working out if you can help it! it is so hard to start again no matter what you tell yourself! you should probably lay off your insanity stuff for 3-5 days but instead you could do some walking- take ibuprofen before you start your walk, hot shower and ice the muscle after walking, work your way back up to it! good luck!
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Are you stretching properly? Also, have you been carefully monitoring your form when working out? Insanity is a tough workout and it is easy to get hurt if you start to sacrifice form. When he says push and dig deeper, I think "Focus on form and try to finish out this circuit". As soon as I notice my form slipping, it's break time.

That would be my advice for when you start back up.

Just continue to stress and rest your muscles a bit. Do you have a foam roller? I've heard that those do wonders for your back. You can also seek out a back message to help losen the muscles.

Honestly, I try to stretch and work through mines. If I can, I modify so that I'm not stressing the muscle as much. Or I will skip certain exercising until the muscle can handle them. I wouldn't suggest this though unless you have a good feel for your body and can tell if you are further injuring yourself.