Holiday gifts

Options
wendyannvantiem
wendyannvantiem Posts: 188 Member
This year since I am broke I have decided to go the homemade route. I am going to make up those cute decorated jars filled with the dry mix to make cookie dough and all they have to do is add egg and butter. I see them at the store all the time and I love to get them too : ) Also I am making decorated hair clips for the girls. I have already made some up and they are really stylish. Anyone else making homemade Christmas gifts this year?

Replies

• JanetTerry
    JanetTerry Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    yes me too! I got glass etching cream from Hobby Lobby and Contact paper and some cute clear mugs from Walmart. Making stencils and etching names onto glasses as personalized gifts. Easy!!
  • k121777
    k121777 Posts: 306
    Options
    I am! I'm going to cut out wood Christmas trees (about 2' tall), paint them up, stick lights in them and give them as gifts this year.
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I'm buying presents, but I'm also making homemade sugar scrubs (http://www.care2.com/greenliving/5-homemade-sugar-scrubs.html) and homemade fudge.
  • SooZ1138
    Options
    I've decided to do various "coupons" for family members and friends:

i.e.:
    Rake the lawn
    Baby-sit
    Shovel
    Mow the lawn
    Make dinner
    So on and so on...

My boyfriend and I are trying desperately to learn how to start saving... this will be our first year that we don't splurge on family and friends. Its kind hard to get in the mindset that it's okay, but we have big goals that we are trying to achieve!
  • maddyg1989
    maddyg1989 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    No. This will be the first year I actually have a Christmas fund and I don't know what to buy!!! But I'm still crocheting a bunch of stuff so I'll probably end up giving some crocheted gifts too.
  • halfsizeheather
    halfsizeheather Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    yeah I'm putting together a handmade food hamper. Jams, chutneys, biscuits and chocolates for my dad.
  • maddyg1989
    maddyg1989 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    yeah I'm putting together a handmade food hamper. Jams, chutneys, biscuits and chocolates for my dad.

What's a chutney??? If it's anything like the rest of what in the hamper, it sounds delish!
  • HannahPastoor
    Options
    You could also do a soup mix...Same as the cookies. Just layer dried beans in a pretty way : )
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I'm a knitter so several people are getting knitted items (fingerless gloves, a cowl, a hat, felted wool slippers, etc). I have a chocoholic SIL and my 17 year old DD makes excellent nut butters so we're going to make up a sampler of chocolate nut butters for the SIL. (Dark Choc. almond butter, homemade Nutella, Spicy Choc. Almond butter (notes of cayenne, cinnamon, etc.)) I also have a nephew who got married in October that I still have the invite and program for. I'm going to slice those up so that the wording is in strips and then I'll stuff them into a clear glass ornament and add a little bit of ribbon or something in their wedding colors for a "first year married" ornament. We're big on homemade here. :)

ETA: If you're needing ideas Pinterest is a great place to search! The DIY/Craft boards are full of great homemade ideas!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I'm going to do the same thing I do every year. Give my wife a certificate for "One Evening of Mikey Loving".