Weightloss while breastfeeding help...

Options
Hey out there,

So I'm 6 weeks post pardum after a healthy pregnancy and delivery and looking to get back into shape. I have been giving the all clear from the doctor. My goals are not so much about weightloss as about being in shape and modeling a healthy lifestyle for my daughter.

BUT...
I'm still breastfeeding my baby and concerned that cutting calories will decrease my milk production. How do I ensure that I'm conuming enough to keep up production while still promoting a healthy diet? How do I set my goals to reflect the necessity of the extra calories required to produce milk?
I know that my current size is relevant to my caloric needs, so I'm 5'2" and weighed in at 194 at my last doctors appointment.

Any and all advise is very much appreciated.

Replies

• casirdms
    casirdms Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Your doctor should be able to advise you more on this, but I know that generally breastfeeding moms need 300-500 more calories a day than normal. So if MFP suggests you to do 1200 calories a day, you should do maybe 1600 instead.

One of my friends is currently BF and this is what she has been doing
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    In your food diary, you can add "nursing mom" and it will subtract calories. :)

congrats on your baby!!

As a WIC peer counselor, we recommend a healthy 300-500 calorie addition to your daily allotment. I would not recommend losing too quickly, either. If you are dropping too fast, I'd add in another 100 calories or so daily to keep it at a nice, slow pace of loss. Even for people who aren't BF, it isn't good to lose too quickly.

Good luck!
  • CaterpillarsMom
    Options
    Add "nursing mom" as if it were a food item in the diary?? I don't understand.
  • sueadavis
    sueadavis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone and remember to drink lots of fluids too!
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    Add "nursing mom" as if it were a food item in the diary?? I don't understand.

Sorry. I just saw this. Yes. You search for "nursing mom" and it will essentially subtract calories for you to need to eat to get to your daily net goal. :) HTH's!