sauna lovers!! :)

Options
syiyi
syiyi Posts: 341 Member
anyone knows how many calories can you burn in the sauna! :)
yesterday I saw a girl bundle in a trash bag,. she claimed she burns more calories doing so.. lol!

Replies

• hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have no idea the answer to your question, but picturing a large woman in a garbage bag is making me almost pee my pants laughing.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Makes you sweat out some water weight, which you recoup when you drink a glass of water. No fat loss.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    i don't think you burn more, you just sweat more - like a detox of sorts. that's pretty dangerous in a sauna!
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I have no idea but have always assumed it doesn't burn many more than you would just sitting in a warm room. I go in there for the relaxation and not any potential calorie burn.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    anyone knows how many calories can you burn in the sauna! :)
    yesterday I saw a girl bundle in a trash bag,. she claimed she burns more calories doing so.. lol!

No more than usual if you're sitting down. If you do some cardio, you'll burn calories in the sauna.
  • Paraflier17
    Options
    Can you imagine the disposal of said garbage bag? Ewww.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    From the Canadian Medical Association Journal:
    Some believe the sauna is useful for weight reduction, but there has been no evidence to support this theory. There is a transient weight loss related to fluid loss just after a sauna is taken; afterwards this weight is regained quickly with the intake of fluids. Salt too is lost during a sauna.

Why, then, do people take saunas? There are few reasons that would stand up to scientific scrutiny. Indeed, most would seem to be word-of-mouth promotion schemes by those of us who enjoy the relaxation afforded by a warm environment; we attribute the relaxation to the decrease in peripheral vascular resistance afforded by heat.

Source: The Sauna: A Health Hazard?; Earl M. Cooperman, MD; Associate Scientific Editor Canadian Medical Association Journal (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1818735/pdf/canmedaj01421-0014.pdf)
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    You don't "burn" anything in the sauna. You sweat out some toxins and lose water weight... which you will replenish with more water or you'll become very dehydrated.

I happen to like the sauna... because it feels good. I don't think of it as a weight loss tool, however, unless it's in the IMMEDIATE future... say... within an hour or so of weighing in or getting measured... then and only then will you notice a difference.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I wondered the same about a hot tub. Your temp increase probably causes a slight acceleration in heart rate as your body attempts to cool you down, but I doubt it's enough to call it a "burn". My heart rate gets more elevated by slow-pokes on the freeway than it does from a warm environment.

Now, if a gorgeous, beefy man were to join me in said hot tub, my heart rate might go up enough to log it as a burn!
  • syiyi
    Options
    Can you imagine the disposal of said garbage bag? Ewww.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwkkk!!! lol
  • TiffanyW1014
    TiffanyW1014 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I love the sauna and I sit in one daily!! I wore my HRM once and I burned on the avg. 100/ 10 minutes. I don't ever count it as ecercise though it was just nice to know! This was also before my workout.
  • syiyi
    Options
    I wondered the same about a hot tub. Your temp increase probably causes a slight acceleration in heart rate as your body attempts to cool you down, but I doubt it's enough to call it a "burn". My heart rate gets more elevated by slow-pokes on the freeway than it does from a warm environment.

Now, if a gorgeous, beefy man were to join me in said hot tub, my heart rate might go up enough to log it as a burn!

:laugh:
  • tgreen0001
    Options
    Is this also true concerning hot tubs?
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    As far as sweating out toxins, that would only be true if you had a "true toxic exposure".
    LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) – A typical sauna uses steam to heat the body, but a new kind of sauna works by infrared light, in which radiant heat is absorbed by the body. Some claim it's better than steam because infrared saunas will make you sweat more. There have been many claims that any sauna can get rid of deadly toxins, but one expert at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital says here's what you need to know about sweat.

"When we sweat a lot, we are releasing some toxins, but that's only if one has a true toxic exposure," said Dr. Daniel Monti, an Integrative Medicine Expert. "For example they have high levels of mercury or lead in their blood, that needs to be assessed in a medical way and addressed in a medical way."

Dr. Monti says there are many claims linked to infrared saunas like burning calories, speeding anti-cellulite programs, relieving arthritis, and even boosting white blood cell counts, but there is no proof of any of that.
    Source: http://www.kcbd.com/story/12260474/facts-and-myths-on-using-saunas-to-cleanse-the-body-of-toxins
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I'm more of a steam room guy - over sauna's.

a nice steam after a workout. feels awesome
  • Dustinryan24
    Dustinryan24 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    i was told sauna's open up your pores, and help you sweat easier.

this turned out to be true for me.. i used to be able to run 3 miles before i started to sweat. now i start sweating after my first set in the gym.

ive read that sauna's can help loosen up your muscles after a workout to avoid knots.. dunno how much truth that holds though..
  • Dustinryan24
    Dustinryan24 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm more of a steam room guy - over sauna's.

a nice steam after a workout. feels awesome
    i agree.. the steam room is awesome after a good lift.
  • lstd
    lstd Posts: 40
    Options
    Im like some of the others on here is that true with hot tubs? I sweat alot when Im in there.. I always have my at 104 & 105
  • teamnevergoingback
    teamnevergoingback Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    It just feels really good to me after a work out! Makes my muscles relax :]

Not a weightloss thing for me.