If not now, never

Options
Six weeks before my 25th birthday I started having a "quarter-life crisis". As melodramatic as that sounds, many of you who have spent your entire lives like I have in the overweight or obese BMI range will know just how physically, socially and mentally debilitating carrying extra pounds actually is.

I recently read a weight loss story by a guy who was also in his mid-late twenties. On finding out he'd lost all his desired weight, his closing line was, "So many of you [the readers] have been living life since you were born. I'm going to start living mine today."

I don't know why but this really got to me, especially in the weeks prior to my 25th birthday this November. I often feel like I've missed out on so many things just because I was too self conscious to put myself forward. You will never find me without a t-shirt on, meaning I've going swimming twice in the last 10 years. I avoid company outings like white-water rafting, climbing or go-karting because I know I won't be able to pull myself back into the boat, lift myself over the first peg, or drive the kart faster than a snail's pace. I avoid going out at nights because the meat-market that is most clubs, doesn't accommodate someone overweight and lacking in self-confidence.

There is no one to blame for any of this except myself. I've had ample opportunities to lose weight, but never managed. Instead I've yo-yo'd over the years but have never been below a BMI of 27, averaging ~29.5 most of my life. Three summers ago I got to the lowest weight I'd been in 10 years, 99kg / 219lbs and was so happy to break that 100kg mark. Slowly the weight crept back on as I left the regular diet and ate student food.

I'm fed up of counting calories or thinking about dieting. In fact, I can't think of a day in my entire life (yes, entire life forever and ever) where the loom of being overweight hasn't surrounded me. Even on days where I'm eating whatever I like I have the black guilt shadow of calories hanging above me. This *has to change*.

So I want to do this social thing. I've never opened up about my feelings like above before so that's my first step. On the 1st of October I started MyFitnessPal. I was 117.3kg / 259lbs. I started ramping up the Gym (3 times a week at the moment) 3 weeks ago. So far I've lost 16lbs, which is a healthy 2lbs a week. I would like to raise that to 3lbs a week in December.

I've been reading these forums over the last few weeks and you guys are all so nice. If anyone is in a similar situation to me, any age, any gender, any weight, and would like to be a "friend" on MFP, I'd love the encouragement…

x

Replies

• Hershaw
    Options
    This has always helped me moving forward "I Used to be that way, but now I am different."
  • GirlAnachronismE
    GirlAnachronismE Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Well done for getting started and trying to make a positive change! As the punds come off you'll start to feel more confident, which will help with the diet! Feel free to add me if you like, i need all the support I can get too =P
  • n_parker21
    Options
    Sounds like you have all the fuel and motivation you need to shift the pounds. Good stuff!

A few pointers I could offer are:

Focus on the end goal and keep your motivations in mind...what I would say is to not be too over ambitious with the speed of weight loss...it can often lead to fatigue, boredom and cause you to perhaps throw in the towel all together, I should know, i've been oscillating around 90kgs for years and have been unhappy about my weight all the while.

Another caution is not to settle with a good attainment, go for the full goal and don't stop until you're done! I think MFP is good for that and the ticker is a good reminder...Once you're down to your target weight, you'll need to find a happy equilibrium of eating and exercise and not let either stray too far away from that equilibrium...

This is my first two months on MFP and already I have lost 5kgs-ish and feel better for it. I am targeting a further 7kgs by next summer when i'm getting married! Need to be looking sharp! But the lighter you become the harder it is to shift weight so dont get de-motivated if the curve gradient decreases, just keep gymming and eating well!

My final nugget of advice would be to continue to have fun with your mates, you'll need them through it and they will praise you as the weight comes off, people have already noticed my change! feels good! My main enemy is beer... I have tried to cut out weekday excesses whilst my weekends remain fairly naughty...You cant win them all, just as long as you win the majority you'll do ok!

Best of luck!

Nick
  • johnnygoodboy
    Options
    You're young and motivated. You can do it!
  • jgmconnors
    jgmconnors Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow :) congratulations on taking this step. If you let the right people in, they will support you. We will celebrate your successes, and also encourage you when you have a set back. Because you will have set backs, all we all do.. its what we do after a set back that counts. You get right back on the path. What you'll find on here, is that your MFP friends need YOU, ,just as much as you need US.
    I read what you wrote, I think your amazing already... if you like to add me as a friend, I will happily accept. Good luck, YOU SO GOT THIS !! :smile:
  • Mamasota
    Mamasota Posts: 144
    Options
    Never say never and since you recognize that you are losing a "healthy" 2 lbs per week, why would you want to try to up that to a maybe not so healthy 3 per week? You are doing so well, good luck and keep on doing what you are doing. It's obviously working.
  • Speedtrap
    Options
    You are on the right track!
    Try to keep in mind you do not want to push over the 2lb a week to stay healthy.
    Weight loss is going to be 80% nutrition and 20% exercise, so it is great you are going to the gym, it will help, just be sure to track all your food and review it and learn where your weaknesses are.

IF you have access to a nutritionist that can help a lot as well, they can help to develop meal plans and strategies to help you succeed.