what do you do to get out of a rut?

Options
last night i had a complete mental breakdown in the gym's locker room (classy, i know). i'm so frustrated at how difficult this is and i keep weighing the pros and cons. i think what set me off the most was that all the machines were taken by skinny people! isn't that annoying? you'd think they'd look at me and see i need it more than they do lol.
but now i'm just sad and i need motivation. do i treat myself and let up a bit or do i push harder? what do you do?

Replies

• anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I say push yourself! you haven't gotten here by letting yourself down. I am in a rut too!! every 10lbs it seems i lose i hit rock bottom and it takes me forever to lose the next 10! I also know I can push myself harder at the gym I just haven't. I had hurt my hip Wednesday when working out so i took some time off. Got back in the gym yesterday and bam, felt better! Just keep trucking, you will get were you want to be!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I would bet a good majority of those "skinny people" that are taking up the machines got that way by sticking with it! Push with it and before you know it, you'll be one of "them". :drinker:
  • Shayyy01
    Shayyy01 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I push harder. The harder i push myself the better i feel. Plus when i'm in rut working out eases my mind and soul. Work out the frustration.
    I'm sorry you had a break down. =( Hope you feel better
  • sunnybrunette126
    sunnybrunette126 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I had a really bad slip up last week. I kept thinking I was completely ugly and I just wasn't happy with myself. I did indulge but the very next day I got up and worked out for like 70 minutes and it completely banished all that. Keep working out... it builds those endorphins... and you will get to your goal in the process.

You can do this!
  • espence30
    espence30 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    push harder!!!! stay strong girl and motivated... dont give up!!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Shift into low range.
  • Macote
    Macote Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Push harder is the way I go. Last week I was in a real funk with my diet, but I kept pushing and finally came out of it. Maybe try switching up your workout routine by using free weights instead of the machines?
  • lambeas
    lambeas Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    treat yourself to a new fitness class or a massage... if you "treat" yourself another way., you will wind up back on that bench in the locker room in a month. Losing weight is BRUTAL, making it really stick is brutal... but the only way to get it done, so you can be skinny girl on the machine is to stay the course, (maybe listen to some really angry music in your ipod...lol ( Linkin park works for me)

YOU CAN DO IT!
  • J_Lopez
    Options
    Start going for nice walks with your favorite music. That usually helps me.
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    both! eat more, eat cleaner, and work out more. but also have at least one cheat meal a week to keep your metabolism running. and also I know that one of my own resolutions right now is to focus less on numbers like calories and pounds and more on things like how many km I can knock out on the elliptical, how vegetables I can eat per day, etc.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're feeling bad. Its only temporary and will pass. Good for you for being at the gym. Go sit in the hot tub and treat yourself to a low calorie treat. Then get back on the horse and ride ride ride! You ARE doing it!
  • Abbey70
    Abbey70 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I say push harder. Don't let your rut get the best of you. That's how I see it anyway. Sometimes it is easier said then done but above all don't give up. I too have been in ruts. Hang in there you can do this!!
  • timgordon24
    Options
    Do you subscribe to netflix? Not only do they have both "The Biggest Loser", but they also have a show called "Heavy" on the steaming feature. Watch an episode or two. Look at yourself (via an old picture), at what your body has become (in a mirror) and then remind yourself of the mental image you have in your mind of those "skinny people" on the machines.

Do this HOWEVER many times you need to and that rut will go away.. If the machines are being used, gently jog around the building until someone is done. Don't be afraid to "embarrass" yourself. Pride is part of what got you overweight.. Check yourself at the front of the building, remind yourself of the person you were, why you've determined to be the person you've become and why you wanna be the person you'll be soon.
  • aklitten
    aklitten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Stare down the skinny people. Walk up to them, slit your eyes, cross your arms and make them feel, well, tiny! No, all jokes aside, just take it one day at a time. Don't think about the weeks or months ahead, just focus on the now. What you do today WILL make a difference. Go easy on yourself mentally and emotionally while still trying to push yourself physically Do this for yourself...perhaps check out another gym that might be less crowded, or reassess when you go? Or set up a one-time consult with a trainer (or more often, if you can afford it)? Just some thoughts to try to keep you on your path.
  • sizesixorbust
    sizesixorbust Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    treat yourself to a new fitness class or a massage... if you "treat" yourself another way., you will wind up back on that bench in the locker room in a month. Losing weight is BRUTAL, making it really stick is brutal... but the only way to get it done, so you can be skinny girl on the machine is to stay the course, (maybe listen to some really angry music in your ipod...lol ( Linkin park works for me)

YOU CAN DO IT!

angry music, great suggestion haha.
  • melinda6569
    Options
    I agree. Switch up your routine. Take a step class at the gym and wait for the machine or do some floor cardio. Be creative. Sometimes i put Michael Jackson on and just dance like crazy in the livivng room. i get sweaty and my heart rate goes up. Make it fun!!And soon you will be the skinny mini on the machine.

Stay Strong and Positive.. Don't give up! You got this :wink:
  • TerriKim
    Options
    Change up your workouts, workout longer, strength train. Remember what someone told me once. Those "skinny" people are skinny because they're working out too. Perhaps they've just been doing it longer. :)
  • Pronoiac
    Pronoiac Posts: 304
    Options
    What you described is not infrequently though yoiu may feel like the only one. So, first, be gentle with yourself.

I suggest a 'Reste'.
    1) take a few minutes to consider yoru goals and desires, whatever form you keep them in.
    2) Plan to eat well today. Eat food that sounds good but stay within your cals and be as healthy as possible.
    3) Talk yourself UP. You can do this. We have to accept there will be frustrations along the way...it's just part of life.
    4) Engagae in a physical activity you enjoy, even just a simple power walk. OR try a compeltely new activity!

They key is to get re-focused and feeling good again. Those good feelings are the fuel for your success!
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    go out for a walk, play the xbox with my hubby. Try on new expensive clothes at a store then not buy them, most of the time. Cook something.
    Most of the time if I am feeling terrible, not ill, I will run and run as fast as I can. That is my fail safe, it just makes me feel like I am flying and free.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Relax, but don't give up or take a break from your journey! Go for a walk, bake something healthy, or go for a run. Don't feel bad about yourself because you're doing an incredible thing!
    Keep on going!