jogging and breathing

Options
I ran outdoors yesterday instead of the elliptical, what a difference.
My breathing is very shallow, even with a prescribed inhaler and I can't breath thru my nose
Any suggestions/ tips for a beginner?

Replies

• tjblue2
    tjblue2 Posts: 15
    Options
    My breathing is very shallow, even with a prescribed inhaler and I can't breath thru my nose
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    don't breath when you jog

joke

I would prolly ask my doc if I was on an inhaler
  • tjblue2
    tjblue2 Posts: 15
    Options
    so much for spell check......thanks!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    When you breathe in, try to push your belly out. It encourages deeper breathing. You can do this breathing in through your mouth too.
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    don't breath when you jog

joke

I would prolly ask my doc if I was on an inhaler

:laugh:
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    When you breathe in, try to push your belly out. It encourages deeper breathing. You can do this breathing in through your mouth too.

msarro makes a really good point: find some exercises to enhance the depth and consistency of your breathing both during workouts and in a resting state. I know that we had to increase the strength of our diaphragms when I was in college choir, and our instructor had us do several different things. Talk to the dr about it... and good luck on the running out-of-doors... it's so fun when you get past the 'OMG I can't breathe' stage. :wink:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

First of all, just relax. Your body knows how to breathe.

If you are using an inhaler, it is good advice to start off gradually.

It is sometimes helpful to start with walk/jog intervals rather than trying to run continuously at first.

As you become more conditioned, your ventilation will become more efficient as well. The first couple of times out, especially if you are prone to asthma, can be kind of a shock to the system.
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    Try a two part breath - inhale, inhale, exhale, exhale - slightly forcefully. I find it very helpful when I am pushing myself and I am out of breath. It's a good way to get more oxygen in. Try a few sprints every day. It will challenge your lungs and increase your lung capacity.
  • Runningstar13
    Options
    start out with a very slow jog, work up to faster pace, and you're indurance will improve. Running outside is alot different that the oliptical beacuse you are only using you're legs, and not some of you're arms. Alos, you have to pick up you're feet. Keep it up, work up to you're goal slowly because it's not going to come instantly. (i would know, i made it to the state finals for Cross Country and track. If you stay consistant, you will improve alot, and it will get alot easier)

~Running Star (age 13)