Lexapro

Options
jennajava
jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
DISCLAIMER: I already know the side effects possible and the statistics associated with it, thanks.

Has anyone on here actually had weight gain that you are positive was attributed to Lexapro, and not something else?

Replies

• beatleschic87
    beatleschic87 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I've never been on Lexapro specifically but I can definitely vouch that antidepressants cause you to gain a lot of weight. I just went on Paxil and gained 10 lbs in like 2 weeks.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    You and your baby are so beautiful.
    Best wishes.
  • jennajava
    Options
    You and your baby are so beautiful.
    Best wishes.

Well, thanks!
  • jennajava
    Options
    I've never been on Lexapro specifically but I can definitely vouch that antidepressants cause you to gain a lot of weight. I just went on Paxil and gained 10 lbs in like 2 weeks.

Wow! I wonder if it's attributed to the idea that happier are fatter people? LOL! I've always heard that, but I don't know. Or maybe it's simply a chemical thing?
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I cannot attribute the gain to Lexapro, but I can say that it caused my body to hold on to weight and no efforts at diet and exercise would make it budge. I literally did the exact same thing I am doing now and losing a pound a week for months while on Lexapro and could not lose a singe ounce. Now that I have changed my medicine, the weight is coming off with the same amount of effort.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    One of my sisters is on Lexapro and has not gained any weight. In fact, she says she has no side effects at all.
  • jennajava
    Options
    I cannot attribute the gain to Lexapro, but I can say that it caused my body to hold on to weight and no efforts at diet and exercise would make it budge. I literally did the exact same thing I am doing now and losing a pound a week for months while on Lexapro and could not lose a singe ounce. Now that I have changed my medicine, the weight is coming off with the same amount of effort.

Good to know!
  • jennajava
    Options
    One of my sisters is on Lexapro and has not gained any weight. In fact, she says she has no side effects at all.

This leads me to believe that it is possibly just the way it reacts with each individual's body.
  • mommy2squish
    mommy2squish Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I was only on Lexapro for about a month and Celexa for about 2 however I never noticed a weight gain with either.
  • missinmybiscuits
    missinmybiscuits Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    This leads me to believe that it is possibly just the way it reacts with each individual's body.

That's always going to be the case. Also, it can react with other medications. For instance, I was on birth control alone and was fine, celexa alone and was fine, but both together and I couldn't lose ANY weight if I gained it. It's all about chemistry, but more often than not, it just makes it harder for you to LOSE weight, but not necessarily any more prone to put it on if you're exercising and eating well...
  • robotaffliction
    Options
    I never gained on Lexapro. I gained a TON on Zoloft, though.
  • Figuringoutme
    Options
    I know people that were on it and lost weight
  • Figuringoutme
    Options
    Double
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I gained 20 lbs in 2 months, but these medication affect everyone differently. I lost the 20 quickly after I stopped taking it. It was causing me to retain a lot of water mostly. I was puffy all the time.