Visualizing the World's Food Consumption

Options
UponThisRock
UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member

Replies

• RyanDanielle5101
    Options
    I figured the USA would be #1 but I didn't think the income spent would be so low but then again McDonalds is cheap :)
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    The US spends the least amount of money on the most highly caloric food apparently...and we pay for it :(
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding me? An average of 4,000 calories per day?
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    The US spends the least amount of money on the most highly caloric food apparently...and we pay for it :(

No, we spend a smaller percentage of earnings. Those lowest 20% are poor and spending nearly all of their money on food and still not eating enough to be healthy by our standards.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I'm more blown away by the average daily consumption in the U.S. ... 3770 calories. That's more than I eat in 2 days.

The income thing doesn't surprise me. People in industrialized nations make enough money that they don't have to spend 50%+ of their income on food.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    That's so eye opening. And depressing. Those other poor countries that don't get half their needs met but must fork over 75% of their incomes to food. :( That is so backwards. I wonder how we spend so little on food but eat so much?? We must have some type of inflation issue lol. I hope that our costs stay low but that calories decrease. The UK seems to know what they are doing. :happy: I will say 3700 calories is CRAZY! That's about two days and then some for most of us on here. That's crazy.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options

This is my thoughts exactly! I don't even know how it's possible to consume that many calories on average.
  • UponThisRock
    Options

This is my thoughts exactly! I don't even know how it's possible to consume that many calories on average.

I could do that no sweat, if I was so inclined.
  • quitmakingexcuses
    Options

I feel like I could, but that's like super binge-ing.. Is that just what normal people do? That's seriously 2.5x what I eat in a day.
  • UponThisRock
    Options

I feel like I could, but that's like super binge-ing.. Is that just what normal people do? That's seriously 2.5x what I eat in a day.

I know a 200+ lbs male bodybuilders that eats 4000+ per day. He's got tons of muscle mass, is shredded, and works out like a man possessed. On top of all that, he does twice as much activity as a normal person outside the gym. Yes, he's a genetic freak, but 4000 isn't really that much if you're already big and your goal is further muscle gains.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Lots of calories doesn't necessarily mean lots of food. It's easy to eat thousands of calories in a day if you're eating calorie-dense foods, which most Americans do. If you're a fan of sugary sodas and Starbucks lattes, it gets even easier because most people don't even consider the calories in what they drink.

And again, on the money issue, it's not that Americans don't spend much money on food. What that graph is showing is the PERCENTAGE of income spent on food. Naturally, someone who makes very little money is going to spend a greater percentage of his/her income on food than someone who makes a lot of money. Rich people do not eat more than non-rich people (not in America, anyway). They just have more money to spend on other things.
  • quitmakingexcuses
    Options
    I know a 200+ lbs male bodybuilders that eats 4000+ per day. He's got tons of muscle mass, is shredded, and works out like a man possessed. On top of all that, he does twice as much activity as a normal person outside the gym. Yes, he's a genetic freak, but 4000 isn't really that much if you're already big and your goal is further muscle gains.

Yeah, that I totally get. But most American's don't get the exercise that a bodybuilder does.
    Lots of calories doesn't necessarily mean lots of food. It's easy to eat thousands of calories in a day if you're eating calorie-dense foods, which most Americans do. If you're a fan of sugary sodas and Starbucks lattes, it gets even easier because most people don't even consider the calories in what they drink.

Yeah true. I guess eating say Starbucks for breakfast McDonalds for lunch and pizza for dinner would shoot you waaaay over.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Whew! Very interesting.

I probably could eat 4,000 a day if i didn't have some control xD

I used to drink a ton of my calories, plus fat is delicious! I could get there heh
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I find the income spent on food even more interesting. It reminds of a Michael Pollan video, actually - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U097wiZGk4.