New and no idea.

Options
Hey there! I've had my account for some time now. However, my excuses are endless as to why I hadn't started earlier. At least I'm here now though, ready to start reaching for and working towards my goals.

I'm eighteen years old, 5'5, and I weigh an average of 270 pounds. My goal weight is 130, but I try not overwhelm myself by thinking, OH GOODNESS, OVER 100 LBS! Baby steps first like "I WANNA LOSE 10 LBS" sound a lot more reasonable right now. :P

My weight issues started when I was a kid. At 14, I tried to lose weight by starving myself and quickly learned that, that is no way to lose weight. After that experience, I gave up. Since then I have had off and on moments of inspiration and motivation and moments of the exact opposite. However, despite my lack of motivation right now, this is something I really want to do for myself and it's about time I actually step up and take control of my life. (:

I'm really hoping to meet some new people on MyFitnessPal who have been there and done that or are there and doing it. :D Especially since I don't have much of an idea of what I am doing. Hope some of you amazing people out there might be willing to help me out a little, here.
Thanks.

Replies

• rcrews4
    rcrews4 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hey! We are all here to support each other, a friend request is on the way. Also, I recommend you get involved in a weight loss challenge right away: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/406325-december-weight-loss-challenge-open-for-sign-ups-til-dec-1s

This one starts on Dec 1 - no time like the present right!?
  • MMC5335
    Options
    Hi there!! Welcome and so glad you're off the excuse train....I've been the conductor of it a time or ten so I know how that goes. Sending a friend request :)

4694868.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • espence30
    espence30 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me if you want. Stay strong.. You can do this... MFP Friends are here to help
  • Suzanne106
    Suzanne106 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    The first 10lbs were a *itch! It seemed like it took forever. Don't look at the big picture or you'll get overwhelmed. Just take it day by day and slowly but surely it will happen. You will fall off the wagon several times and that's ok too. You didn;t gain this weight overnight and should not expect to lose it overnight. Stay strong!!
  • EuphonyChloeH
    EuphonyChloeH Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you - 5'7 and 90+ pounds to lose. I've fallen off the wagon more times than I can count, and the weight to lose is very overwhelming, but we can't let that stop us. I'd rather say I've fallen off the wagon hundreds of times then say I never got on in the first place LOL. I have read that you benefit more from having a larger weight loss goal than a smaller one because if you know you have more to lose, you end up trying harder and losing more than if you just set a ten pound goal. So don't be discouraged, it may actually help you to keep the larger goal.

Feel free to friend me for support if you'd like :) .
  • itsthatfatgirl
    Options
    The first 10lbs were a *itch! It seemed like it took forever. Don't look at the big picture or you'll get overwhelmed. Just take it day by day and slowly but surely it will happen. You will fall off the wagon several times and that's ok too. You didn;t gain this weight overnight and should not expect to lose it overnight. Stay strong!!

Thank you for your advice. (: I will do my best
  • TeeferTiger
    TeeferTiger Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hello :)

Firstly, congratulations for taking the big leap and deciding to do something about it. It's more than a lot of people do.

Secondly, I'd say find something healthy you enjoy doing and enjoy eating. Don't use my old excuse of "I'll do some exercise once I've lost some weight" because even some walking will help shift more than you think it will. Swimming is ace, takes all the weight off your joints, you don't get sweaty and it increases blood flow (I phone up and find out what times the pool is quiet and go then... not because I'm ashamed or anything, I just can't stand the general public :laugh: ).

Small goals are a brilliant idea! As are little (non food) rewards when you reach them.

And good luck x
  • Prozack1964
    Options
    its not easy but you can do it welcome here and have a great day
  • silverfox678
    silverfox678 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Welcome back.... 10lbs is the best way to start. Realistic goals take u one step closer to ur ulitimate goal. Feel free to add as a fruend.
  • barbiebarkley
    Options
    we do it at or on pace,so if you need a friend you can add me.and i started at 271 and my goal at the time is 71 lbs.and so far with pure determanation ,iv lost 13 in 30 days!!!i have to work on it everyday.but no one can do it but yourself,and knowing you are worth it .so keep on going no matter what.go look in a mirrior and tell yourself that you can and that you deserve it!!!SAY IT TILL YA BELIEVE IT!!!ithelped for me..good luck and never give up!!!!
  • gr8birdie
    gr8birdie Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Take one step at a time and you will succeed. Feel free to add me
  • itsthatfatgirl
    Options
    Hello :)

Firstly, congratulations for taking the big leap and deciding to do something about it. It's more than a lot of people do.

Secondly, I'd say find something healthy you enjoy doing and enjoy eating. Don't use my old excuse of "I'll do some exercise once I've lost some weight" because even some walking will help shift more than you think it will. Swimming is ace, takes all the weight off your joints, you don't get sweaty and it increases blood flow (I phone up and find out what times the pool is quiet and go then... not because I'm ashamed or anything, I just can't stand the general public :laugh: ).

Small goals are a brilliant idea! As are little (non food) rewards when you reach them.

And good luck x

I hear that! I'm not fond of the general public, particularly in a swimming pool. I think it's the thought of little kids peeing in it that turns me away. :P

Thanks for the advice, though. I love walking, I used to walk at least a mile or two a day, but since I've moved into a bad neighborhood, those walks have definitely been cut back. I've been looking into local trails though. We have quite a few of them. (:
  • Scorpio313
    Options
    We weigh the same hight and goal the same lets get it in this is dat two for me