Polar HRM Question

Options
I just used my new Polar HRM for the first time. I went through the setup process and entered my height, weight, DOB, etc. After my workout today, the HRM calculated about a 400 calorie burn (I can't remember the exact number, but it was 400+). This is after only a 35 minute workout on a treadmill, 3.9 mph at a slight incline. I put the info into MyFitnessPal and the calorie count is significantly less. Does the Polar seem way off, or is it just me? I wasn't working all that hard since I am just getting over being sick and 400+ just seems like an awful lot for what I was doing.

I'm 5'10', 165 lbs if that helps.

Replies

• tdupree71
    Options
    The Polar is more accurit .. I use the POlar and I enter what it says ... not what MFP guesses!!
  • liezelcha
    liezelcha Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    An HRM is based on your individual calculations and heart rate but I thought it interesting that I walked today at 4.0 for 30 minutes (no incline) and it was roughly 181 calories.....
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    If you programmed in your height/weight/age/sex correctly, the polar is as accurate as its going to get. My polar estimations of my treadmill workouts tend to be higher than MFPs b/c the polar takes my effort into account - I carry small weights on the treadmill, alternate jogging and walking, and do punches and other arm movements to get my heartrate up more than just walking. SO I burn more than what MFP would assume a typical walk would burn.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... in about 25mins I'll burn 350kCal at a 7MPH pace and I'm 5'9 ish and weight about 150lbs... i guess it depends how hard your heart was working.

A good rough estimate is 100calories for every mile you run... although there can be variations. x
  • Football_N_Guns
    Football_N_Guns Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Sounds fairly accurate to me. I also use a Polar and it's much closer than the estimate that MFP gives.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    At your weight that does seem quite high for walking only. Is your HRM set at KG's, as you may have entered your 165 as KG's which would be 350 lbs+?

Either this or your have a high HR anyway, or you are out of shape, causing your HR to be high.

What was your average HR?
  • steend74
    Options
    I believe the polar is very accurate. REmember, inclines are good and even though you dont think your working hard, the consistency in which your heart rate stays up matters too!!!! i always enter what my HRM says. Good job tho!!!
  • Creaswen
    Options
    The HRM is reading your heart rate and then uses the personal info (your age, weight, and height) to calculate your actual calories burned where MFP uses a generic model to calculate this amount. The HRM is going to be more accurate in my opinion because it "knows" you. where MFP just knows a chart. Its kinda like the BMI charts a man can be 5'8" and 210lbs but 2% body fat and they are overweight according to the chart. Also if you where just sick recently your heart rate will be higher because your still fighting off micro infections.
  • kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 212
    Options
    The heart rate monitor is the best estimate you can get. It goes by how hard your heart is working so embrace your new burn levels.... You now know why it was worth it to invest in the HRM.
  • redfox43
    redfox43 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have noticed my Polar often goes on and off during a workout, sometimes going well over a possible heart rate. Keep an eye on your readings during a workout to make sure it stays within a reasonable range. If its over 160 and you aren't even sweating, it is not properly connected or your band is too loose.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Did you wet the strap? Many of the newer models require wetting the sensors on the chest strap in order to get a proper reading.

If you did, I'd assume the HRM is correct.
  • becks0309
    becks0309 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I did wet the strap, all information was entered correctly (lbs, etc) and I'm not out of shape (I mean, I could be better but who couldn't! I work out 4-5x per week for about 45 minutes). I'll keep an eye on it for a few days, double check the HR and ensure its properly connected and see how it goes. I just don't want to eat back 400+ calories if I shouldn't be, ya know?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I did wet the strap, all information was entered correctly (lbs, etc) and I'm not out of shape (I mean, I could be better but who couldn't! I work out 4-5x per week for about 45 minutes). I'll keep an eye on it for a few days, double check the HR and ensure its properly connected and see how it goes. I just don't want to eat back 400+ calories if I shouldn't be, ya know?

What is your resting HR. If your HR is normally high the HRM will over estimate the calories burned as it assumes it is the workout raising your HR.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options

What is your resting HR. If your HR is normally high the HRM will over estimate the calories burned as it assumes it is the workout raising your HR.

That is interesting - what would qualify as high?