Calling all true runners

Options
So I dont have treadmill or gym so all my jogs are outdoors with the rain and cold I dont know what to wear any suggestions? would be appreicated I am going to basic training in Jan in right outside of Chicago and I know there weather is nothing nice compared to Tn mild winters So I want to be prepared as best I can also any tips for jogging in the cold I noticed these jogs tend to be harder for me and what do you to keep your ipod from getting wet ??

Replies

• RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I keep my iPhone in an arm wallet which protects it... On really baltic days I wear a lightweight windproof running jacket by karrimor and capri running tights (the shorter ones) I also either wear a long sleeve technical tee or a short one if I feel it's mild but just wet... footwear; I just man up and wear the same ones with the same socks! Nothing fancy really! Sometimes I'll wear a hat and gloves... That's a recent thing...

Take a look at my pictures to see what I mean! :) Anyway! Enjoy! x
  • radfordgal05
    Options
    I bought a light adidas rain jacket at the running store near me. The sleeves zip off turning it into a waterproof vest. The material is still breathable but It definately keeps you and your ipod dry! Smart wool clothes or materials that wick water off the skin are smart to wear in under the light jacket. The jackets are light, so you will need to layer a warmer breathable material in under it. For jogging pants I highly recommend tights. You can buy them at target or a running store. There are Nike pairs that have nylon on the thighs so your thighs will not get wet. They are also breathable and hold your muscles firmly so that you don't get injured as easily on the cold runs. It is easy to stretch, tear muscles in the winter because of the cold and not properly stretching. Happy training to you!!!
  • chefdan
    chefdan Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I like Under Armour Cold Gear & Storm Gear. Plan on layering. You might want to get used to running without an ipod since you probably won't be running with that in basic training. But there are plenty of arm band/ipod cases that will probably do the trick.
  • tebumgarner
    Options
    Wear base layers--Under Armour, Nike, etc.--and layer on top of them. I usually wear them with fleece over them because they are both lightweight and do not absorb/hold sweat and or precipitation. Definitely hat (or fleece headband) and running gloves. I keep my iPod under my fleece so no worries about moisture for me. However, I hit the treadmill if it is cold rain (not just drizzle). I'm a wuss like that. I'm in Illinois as well, so I know the weather you are talking about! Happy running! =)
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    PS.... if its really cold...maybe try wearing thermal SKINS... compression wear... will optimise temperature of muscles, promote venous return, help keep muscles in place where they should be preventing injury, help remove lactic acid quicker... and a whole multitude of other amazing things!
  • ddoohaluk
    ddoohaluk Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    As a fellow Chicago runner, I recommend layers for winter running. With the winds here (today we have 60 mph gusts) layers are the way to go. You will commonly find yourself hot and sweaty only to turn around, find a headwind, and freeze. Layers and shirts with zippers help with that.

I would make sure you have the following in your running wardrobe- thin gloves, a pair of mittens (that the gloves fit under giving you 3 options), hat made out of technical fabric, a baklava (or something you can wear over your face as this helps a ton on those blustery days), insulated tights, a pair of wind pants to wear over the tights on super cold and windy days, a good base layer tshirt/tank, a wind and water proof jacket, and a variety of thickness of long sleeve shirts (some with zippers). I have found that investing in good winter gear (Craft, Gore, Sugoi) to make all the difference. Yes, there are cheaper options out there but the pieces I splurged on are the ones that actually keep me warm and function as promised. Some people will also by winter running shoes (waterproof) which are nice given that our winters tend to be wet. I don't run with music so I can't help you with that but I have seen waterproof covers for phones in the cycling store so there is a ton of stuff available to water protect your phone.

I run outside year round and really only have issues below -15 so it doable.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Thermal running tights, a good base layer, a wind proof top for warmer days (freezing and above), or a fleecy top for below freezing. Running adds about 10-15 degrees so dress as if it's warmer than it is. And gloves, if there's snow you'll need gloves.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I am still building my winter running gear. Tights are your friend, regardless of how silly you think you look. I bought a lighter pair last year and am shopping for a winter pair this year. They did get me through most of the season here and were well worth it. I am also looking at these pants from Lululemon as they have water/wind protection on the front.
    http://shop.lululemon.com/products/clothes-accessories/women-pants/Run-Free-Pant?cc=0001&skuId=3429552&catId=women-pants
    You also really need a jacket that will keep the wind and rain off of you.
    I have this hoodie, its really warm so only for the really cold runs
    http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/RunningAndFitness/WomensClothing/TShirtsTanksTops/PRD~5017-743/mec-thermal-hoodie-womens.jsp?bFlashEnabled=false
    The rest of the layers I just use long sleeve wicking shirts that I have. I also have a warmer Nike long sleeve shirt.
    Right now I use those cheap stretchy gloves, a pair of mittens and a regular toque.
    As for the iPod, I lost my arm band so for awhile I was putting it in my jacket pocket. On rainy days, I put it in a ziplock bag with an opening big enough for the ear phones cord. worked fine.

No tips for running in the cold, I find I do much better in the cold over the heat. Sorry.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    3 layers
    1) Wicking/Dri-Fit to keep you dry
    2) Warm/Thermal to keep you warm
    3) Windbreaker

I usually wear a short or long sleeve dri-fit shirt, a dri-fit thermal and a windbreaker when it gets into the 40s.