Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Insomnia Snacking

Hey guys,

I have read a few people talking about suffering from insomnia, but didn't notice anything in relation to food. I have had sleeping troubles almost my entire life. I have a combination of both not being able to fall asleep and waking up in the middle of the night. I have tried pretty much everything anyone has thought of/written about on the internet to no avail. Generally I sleep about 3-5 hours a night and after a couple weeks of that I'll crash for a night or two out of pure exhaustion. I used melatonin for a while, tried differing (small) doses - which didn't help. I've also been on prescription medication which again did nothing! I tend to be an overthinker (University student about to graduate), and have tried all of the techniques I can think of to relax and go to sleep - I have essentially given up and just read these days until I can eventually fall asleep.

Overall it hasn't really had much effect on my health - I rarely get sick still. And during my periods of lots of exercise I still have the same pattern. I know with proper sleep my brain will function better - but that's not my question for here (long winded explanation).

I wanted to know if other insomnia ridden people have super trouble with snacking when they are awake at night. When you are awake 18-20 hours of a day it's really hard to spread 1400 calories across the day! I would be fine if I fell asleep at normal times but by 11 or 12 at night I'm super snacky feeling (not necessarily hungry). Any tips on how to reduce this feeling and/or healthy snacks that don't cause too much trouble for when you eventually go to bed?

Replies

• CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    For what it's worth, the time of day/night you consume your calories has no bearing on your metabolism or weight loss. Here is a great link with some info: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/390149-should-i-eat-at-night

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • I would suggest watermelon. It fills me up quite a bit and does not have too many calories. Plus its delicious.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Hey there!

I was an insomniac proper... found it hard to get to sleep... then couldn;t stay asleep, would wake up loads and not be able to get back to sleep.

I had CBT for it... but diet wise... I ate a carbohydrate snack (horlicks + maybe one or 2 oatey hobnobs) about 1 hour before I wanted to sleep. It naturally helped me release melotonin and sleep! (can explain science more if you want...just add and PM me!) :)

This was recommended to me by my consultant shrink - along with good sleep hygiene and some exercise.... I had to be really disciplined but I made sure i ate lots of fruit and lots of veg throughout the day as opposed to sugary crap which would make my blood sugar spike and dip like nobody's business... I also tried to swap all my white breads and pastas for wholegrain / wholewheat varieties which made me feel "fuller" for longer and helped stabilise blood sugar levels.

I found this worked better than the zopiclone and temazepam which just made me feel like crap the next day!

I used to not be able to get to sleep til 0300 and would have to be up for work at 0630... as an air traffic controller....

Here's the thing... it is treatable, you need to be disciplined and seek medical advice - especially from a psychological view. I'm fixed and I feel great now! :) xxx