Eating Healthy on a Budget? Help!!!!!

Options
capaxinfiniti
capaxinfiniti Posts: 367 Member
Hello! I'm a college student and I stay in the dorms, I choose healthy dishes when I eat in the cafeteria, but I can't get there all the time because I have classes.

I have a small mini fridge with a small freezer part and I'm willing to buy groceries and cook in the kitchen in the Residence Hall but my budget is limited. I have a horrible habit of going to get fast food when I don't think there are any other options for me to eat.

Is there anything any of you recommend me going out to buy to for lunches and snacks? I take a lot of fruit from the cafeteria so I have enough of those. Do any of you have any recipes that are quick to make? Or even recipes I can cook in abundance and store for the future when I'm ready to eat?

Thanks for reading :)

Replies

• merB89
    merB89 Posts: 122
    Options
    I'm a college student too with limited funds for food, but no longer live in the dorms. I like making a pot of vegetarian chili on the weekends that I can have for lunch/dinner through out the week. I split it up into smaller tupperwares and can take it with me to work too! Canned beans and canned tomatoes are cheap and they make up the bulk of the chili, throw some frozen veggies in there too. Hope that helps!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    In addition to ideas gathered here, i would suggest searching the forums for ideas, using the Search button above. There are a lot of great ideas out there. Here's one thread that had some great ideas: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/305918-does-anyone-else

Some things that we do to help keep the grocery bill down...

FROZEN VEGETABLES
    Frozen veggies are typically a great value, and very nutritious. Less sodium and more nutrients than canned. Plus, you can choose if want them crisp or soggy. Canned are always soggy. :laugh:

BEANS
    Crock pot (slow cooker) is great way to go. Cook 'em overnight and then freeze any surplus. If you go with canned beans, I would recommend rinsing them to cut down on the sodium. Some nice folks have even added the rinsed versions of most canned beans to the food database.

OATMEAL
    Oatmeal is another great, cheap, healthy food.

EGGS
    A great low-calorie, protein-rich food. Don't fear eating the whole egg!

GROCERY STORE PRICE MATCHING (WALMART)
    We have been able to buy a lot more fruit and veggies (along with meats and other items) thanks to Walmart's price-matching policy on groceries. We check all of the special that come in the junk mail for local grocery stores, jot them down and head to Walmart.

The best fruit and veggie prices here are found in the Latin markets -- it's not uncommon for us to pick-up 6 lbs of oranges for $0.99, for example. Sometimes, though, the quality can be poor at the store offering the sale, so we just take that price to Walmart. It will also save you time and gasoline/bus fare. Walmart's price match policy is that you don't have to bring the ad -- just be able to tell them where you found the offer. They keep the local ads there, supposedly. We've never gotten any hassle though.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Can you cook things in bulk in the residence hall? Like maybe a bag of chicken breast and some veggies. Portion them into zip-lok baggies and store in the fridge? I do that a lot so I can have a quick lunch or dinner.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Frozen veggies can be microwaved real quickly and a full bag is a good portion for a small meal.
    Tuna fish mixed with greek yogurt makes a great tuna salad. Add a bit of shaved almonds or walnuts for even more protein and a little texture.
    Pre-mix a bunch of mixed greens for quick salad fixes, and just use a bit of red balsamic vinegar in place of a dressing.
    Keep some roasted chicken breasts on hand for a fast fix.
    Protein shakes; buy a 5 lb can of powder when you're flush with cash and mix it thick with a bit of water or milk if you have it, and it's pretty filling.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I'm a college student as well, so I feel you! :)

Some of my favorites for snacks are pb and banana (you can also use this to make sandwiches with healthy bread on wheat), apple and pb, yogurt with granola or blueberries, 100 calorie packs, oatmeal bars, fiber one bars, almonds, and some more. For desserts, I like Smart One sundaes, Skinny Cow, or Weight Watchers cones.

As far as meals go, I like www.skinnytaste.com for recipes! Some of my favorite cheap things are buying healthy, cheap, pasta, and just mixing frozen veggies! You can make it last for days! Also, they're not good for everyday, but a couple nights a week I use Smart One and Lean Cuisine steamers, Lean Pockets, and other brands like that. Not bad! With all of my dinners, I try to have a vegetable, and normally do baby carrots.

My local grocery store also has salads in a bag for about 1.99 each, so I love those! If you have a kitchen...use it! Another favorite is healthy bread with deli meat, tomatoes, and a slice of cheese. I use my George Forman grill at my apartment, but in the dorms last year used a skillet. Meat can be pretty expensive, but if you can get some, I love making grilled or baked chicken. It lasts for days and I can do a lot with it!

I hope these helped a bit! :)
  • capaxinfiniti
    capaxinfiniti Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Thanks all of you for the response. I have a kitchen on the hall that has a stove and an oven, I'm just trying to get rid of the temptation of going out and getting junk food when there's no other options in my room. I need better, and healthier choices! :)
  • lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Rice is pretty cheap as well and keeps in the fridge easily. Invest in some good tupperware. That will save you.

I'm not in college, but still on a budget. I precook a lot of chicken, rice & veggies (frozen work fine). Just mix together for a great lunch or dinner! :) Yogurt can be used for a lot of other things as well. I started mixing my greek yogurt w/ brown mustard for "spread" instead of mayo or high calorie options.

Oatmeal is a great option too. So are eggs. Don't know how much room you have in your "freezer", but you can always premake a couple egg burritos (add cheese, turkey sausage, veggies whatever you want). Quick and easy.
  • chickpea00
    Options
    Google "Weight watchers taco soup." I like to cook up a big pot of this on a weekend and have it handy for lunches during the week. Most of the ingredients are inexpensive and don't require a lot of prep. Easy and tasty!

You can also hard boil some eggs and keep them in the fridge for a quick breakfast or snack.
  • MollieJean1982
    MollieJean1982 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I make sure I bring my own snacks and lunches to campus. Try stocking up on soups that you can microwave as part of your meal. I also buy carrots, apples and oranges because they seem to last longer than celery, bananas or strawberries. Being a college student is tough, but eating healthy can be easy if you know what to avoid. When going out for dinner, try to skip grilled sandwiches and ask for it on dry toast. You'll save tons of calories and fat grams. Plus, I skip fries and order soup. By ordering the soup, I can eat before my main meal comes and won't eat so much of that. Then, I'll have lunch for the next day. =) I hope this helps. Good luck