Eating Healthy on a low budget

Options
My husband and I are having a few issues with money, and I don't have the money at this moment to spend on grocery shopping like i was in the start of all this. Does anyone have pointers about eating better and a lower budget?!

Replies

• _Peacebone_
    _Peacebone_ Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm on a pretty tight food budget, and I generally don't have a problem eating and cooking healthy. When it's really a tight week, we eat lots of beans :) Cheap protein and fiber!

I don't buy the boxed/prepared food junk and that saves a ton of money. We eat lots of boneless skinless chicken breast (pretty cheap when you buy in bulk), frozen veggies, canned tuna, eggs, etc. I stock up on things like cereal, salsa, and canned goods when they are on sale.

Good luck, it can be done!
  • kimibunny
    Options
    Broke college student here. I don't spend more than 20 dollars a week on groceries and here are some of the things I buy:

-Frozen vegetables
    -Oatmeal
    - Lentils and other dried beans
    -Tilapia and Whiting are pretty healthy and dirt cheap as far as frozen fish goes. They both bake well and taste alright.
    -Whole fryers. Save money by learning to butcher you own (or bake the whole thing lol)! I had a few dinners with deformed chicken parts from my unskilled butchering, but I eventually got the hang of it.
    -Packaged tuna.
    -Buy fruit that's in season. It tastes better and will likely be on sale at the grocery store.
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Thank you Ladies. I appreciate the advice. I always feel bad making a lot of chicken, my hubby doesn't complain but it makes me feel crappy I don't have money for more exciting and different recipes
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    When I have a bit of extra cash, I make a couple of big, healthy casserols or soup, split them up into Jill-sized meals (I'm just feeding me - you can split it up for two people or whatever, too), and freeze them for easy, fast, healthy lunches and suppers. If you use the recipe tool on here you can adjust recipes to make them even more healthy, and split them up into appropriate portions.
  • ddoohaluk
    ddoohaluk Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you live but if it is a moderate to large city, try a smaller, non-national grocery chain. I live in the Chicago area and we have several Italian grocery stores (Caputos) as well as several Mexican grocery chains that are way cheaper than the national chains. Their fruit and vegetable prices are ridiculously cheap (like a green pepper at the nation chain is 99 cents and at Caputos they are 29 cents a pound), their deli case is about half of the national chains and their meat and fish prices are reasonable as well. They may not have everything you are looking for but they will have the basics at a great price. The only issue (and its not really an issue) is that the fruit and veggies are a bit riper than a chain store and need to be eaten within a week or so. I do almost all of my shopping at Caputos or this local Mexican grocery store (Farmer's Best) and I have been saving a ton of money. Plus they have fun stuff I have never seen at a national chain and I have tried some new things.
  • robotaffliction
    Options
    Not sure where you live but if it is a moderate to large city, try a smaller, non-national grocery chain. I live in the Chicago area and we have several Italian grocery stores (Caputos) as well as several Mexican grocery chains that are way cheaper than the national chains. Their fruit and vegetable prices are ridiculously cheap (like a green pepper at the nation chain is 99 cents and at Caputos they are 29 cents a pound), their deli case is about half of the national chains and their meat and fish prices are reasonable as well. They may not have everything you are looking for but they will have the basics at a great price. The only issue (and its not really an issue) is that the fruit and veggies are a bit riper than a chain store and need to be eaten within a week or so. I do almost all of my shopping at Caputos or this local Mexican grocery store (Farmer's Best) and I have been saving a ton of money. Plus they have fun stuff I have never seen at a national chain and I have tried some new things.

When I lived in Chicago, I got my fresh fruit and veggies at Stanley's vegetable stand (up by Whole Foods in Lincoln Park). So good, so cheap.

Basically, eating a lot of fruit/vegetable/grains is the cheapest way to eat.

Here's one link: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/cheap_eats
  • jbdowns35
    Options
    Definately look into what stores & farmers markets you have in your area. I shop at Aldi's grocery store & my grocery bill has been cut in half. Their food is super cheap & their brands are fantastic, I actually prefer their brands as opposed to name brand foods. There is also a flea market near me that is inside an old theatre. They have a fresh fruit & vegetable stand open all year round & sooooo cheap. It is only open on Saturday & Sundays, so I go there & stock up on produce before I do the rest of my shopping. I average about $12 per week for the produce there, & I leave with bags & bags of stuff!!! I feel like I won the lottery everytime I go there.
  • kwamsat
    kwamsat Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Make entire healthful recipes and then freeze what you don't eat! It will feel and taste brand new a couple of weeks later!!

I am a huge fan of Aldi's and Big Lots food sections...lots of fun things to eat, plus good ingredients for your recipes, low cal sauces, seasoning, etc.

The other thing that I have started to do (I am a teacher and poor, ha : ) I try to only grocery shop once a month...and plan plan plan..then that way you are not wasting time and money shopping 4 or 5 times a month. It takes a lot of organization, but totally worth it!

Good Luck!
  • jbdowns35
    Options
    Make entire healthful recipes and then freeze what you don't eat! It will feel and taste brand new a couple of weeks later!!

I am a huge fan of Aldi's and Big Lots food sections...lots of fun things to eat, plus good ingredients for your recipes, low cal sauces, seasoning, etc.

The other thing that I have started to do (I am a teacher and poor, ha : ) I try to only grocery shop once a month...and plan plan plan..then that way you are not wasting time and money shopping 4 or 5 times a month. It takes a lot of organization, but totally worth it!

Good Luck!

I agree with you... plan, plan, plan!!! Totally worth it. I don't waste money, food or time.
  • ShrinkingChelle
    Options
    Thank you Ladies. I appreciate the advice. I always feel bad making a lot of chicken, my hubby doesn't complain but it makes me feel crappy I don't have money for more exciting and different recipes

Try different spices, it may be the same meat but with different spices it adds variety.