I'm not sore after my workouts anymore...

Options
.... so does that mean I'm not working hard enough? Seriously, I started my lifting program 8 weeks ago and I could barely function the first 4 weeks (it was awesome!!! lol!). I am raising the weight on all my lifts every time my reps hit 12 (I do 4 sets of each exercise). So I've made progress. Am I always supposed to be a little (or a lot!) sore after my workouts to show that I'm working hard enough? I was doing the compound lifts until last week to really learn how to lift with the barbell and now I'm focusing on certain areas (i.e.: back, chest, legs etc) each workout. I still do the compound moves, but have incorporated more isolation moves now too. I'm eating cleaner and taking in plenty of protein...

I want muscles!! And LOTS of 'em!! I'm willing to work for them...

Thanks for any insight you can give...

Replies

• MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I think i would up the weight that you lift by a small percentage, bring some of that soreness back... when you feel ok again bump the percentage up again. how often are you lifting?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I've read that that is normal. You don't always get sore.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    As long as the weight is increasing, you are making progress.
  • tmwalsh88
    Options
    Don't worry about it! Be glad that you're not getting sore anymore! Basically, you're not getting sore because your muscles and body have adjusted to working out. It doesn't mean you're not working hard enough or not burning calories, just that your body has adapted. If you mixed up your workouts and tried new exercises you'd most likely get sore again.

I usually only get sore after lifting or doing strength training for the first time in a while and then after that I rarely get sore. When I lift, I like to do a similar circuit routine a couple of times a week. When I add a new exercise, I usually am sore the next day, but not nearly as bad as that first "hump" of lifting for the first time.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I've read that that is normal. You don't always get sore.

This is good news.

As long as the weight is increasing, you are making progress.

This is also good news!

I lift 3 to 4 times weekly. Well, I will keep at it. Thanks all!
  • MrsNoir
    MrsNoir Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I think one stops getting sore once your muscles get used to that strain. If you think you need to feel some reassurance that you've worked out, try using different group of muscles each week. :)
  • evselc
    evselc Posts: 15
    Options
    Check out Oxygen magazine for great exercise tips and amazing recipes to help with weight loss and muscle building.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Check out Oxygen magazine for great exercise tips and amazing recipes to help with weight loss and muscle building.

I actually just treated myself to a subscription!! It's a great motivator!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I do p90 x and only am sore the week i change things up. I would suggest that if you want the soreness. Also everyone is different in how sore they get.
  • stubsy1968
    stubsy1968 Posts: 165 Member
    Options

I was given a copy of the Oct/Nov edition and I LOVE it! Might have to ask Santa for a subscription for myself.

Agree with advice given, mix it up and you'll soon feel the stiffness/soreness return.

Great work on what you're currently doing though. Always good to push yourself just that little bit more each time

Kathy :smile:
  • evselc
    evselc Posts: 15
    Options
    If you like that mag you would also love Clean Eating Magazine and all of the books by Tosca Reno...