Do you count sugar in 'healthy' items?

Options
em9371
em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
just wondered what other people do re tracking sugar. ive just had porridge with semi skimmed milk, 10g dried strawberries, and a pear which has 28g of sugar just from the milk and the pear:noway: my sugar allowance for the day is 35g so thats most of it gone already and i thought that was a really healthy breakfast!

would you be concerend if things like this put you over your daily sugar goal, or is it ok as long as your under cals and just sugar in chocolates / cakes / processed foods etc to be avoided?

Replies

• thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I am not diabetic so no. MFP's sugar setting is really low, so now I just ignore it.

As long as you are healthy, there is no reason to worry about sugar from those sources. It's everything else you should worry about.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    I'm almost always over my 'sugar allowance' courtesy of fruit and veg. Honestly, unless you have a specific reason to worry about it, if you know you're eating mostly healthily, I'd just ignore it.
  • flowerpower381
    flowerpower381 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm not diabetic so I don't worry about natural sugars and when I buy dried fruit I make sure it doesn't have additional sugar added to it.
  • Crimson_
    Options
    in my opinion and im in no way a doctor but as long as you are not eating tons of proccessed sugar and the carbs u are gettting is from whole grains or fructose(sugar in fruit) its not a huge deal, although you can still over do it but having some fruit everyday is fine...

best of luck!
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Just beware of the hidden sugars in condiments like sauces and dressings, they can unwittingly be your downfall.
    Read every label.
  • em9371
    Options
    thanks for the replies thats good news!
  • samdgood
    samdgood Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    yes i do count sugar as "healthy". sugar is not bad / eating too much sugar is bad. after all the reading i've done on processed foods and how our foods are handled i am trying to eat real food as much as possible. i am not a fanatic and will eat some of the "bad" food once in a while but overall my rule is:

real sugar instead of fake
    real butter instead of margerine or spreads (i can't believe it's not butter becasue it's not even food!)
    meats and poultry with no growth hormones or chemicals added
    locally grown fruits and vegatables

if you want to know the truth about what is in your food ( and maybe you don't!) get the emails from "eat this not that"
    very informative!
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    It's added sugar that's what you have to worry about. I don't know what the deal is with your "porridge," but I'd be a bit hesitant to assume that goes in the healthy items category. Pears are fine. Dried strawberries are probably okay too, but I'm not sure how much a difference drying makes versus frozen or fresh ones.
  • tchrnmommy
    tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I was just coming here to ask the same question. Glad I saw the post. I've noticed I'm always over my sugar allowance but it's not processed sugar's which is what I try to be cautious of.
  • em9371
    Options
    yes i do count sugar as "healthy". sugar is not bad / eating too much sugar is bad. after all the reading i've done on processed foods and how our foods are handled i am trying to eat real food as much as possible. i am not a fanatic and will eat some of the "bad" food once in a while but overall my rule is:

real sugar instead of fake
    real butter instead of margerine or spreads (i can't believe it's not butter becasue it's not even food!)
    meats and poultry with no growth hormones or chemicals added
    locally grown fruits and vegatables

if you want to know the truth about what is in your food ( and maybe you don't!) get the emails from "eat this not that"
    very informative!

i try to eat proper food cooked from scratch as much as possible, i dont do ready meals or much processed stuff, i cant resist diet coke though, have got it down to 1 or 2 times per week now :) i get free range eggs / meat / organic dairy. you are right about i cant believe its not butter, like anyone actually can't tell the difference its vile! i dont eat much butter anyway so when i do it has to be the real thing.
  • em9371
    Options
    It's added sugar that's what you have to worry about. I don't know what the deal is with your "porridge," but I'd be a bit hesitant to assume that goes in the healthy items category. Pears are fine. Dried strawberries are probably okay too, but I'm not sure how much a difference drying makes versus frozen or fresh ones.

my porridge is half instant oatmeal (rolled oats and oat flour with no added sugar) / half plain rolled oats with semi skimmed milk so surely thats all good? just standard oats would be better obviously but ive got to start somewhere:ohwell:
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar as I'm not a diabetic. Most of the sugars in my diet come from fresh/dried fruit, and I don't eat processed foods as a rule.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I'm not worried about going over on sugar because of lactose in dairy products, as it has no fructose to convert into artery clogging fat. I'm not worried about eating one serve of fruit a day. However, all other sugar in my diet I do my best to limit, including added sugars and excessive fruit sugar consumption. Vegetables have the goodness without the sugar, and many 'vegetables' are actually fruits anyway.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options