Zoloft Weight Gain?

Options
Anyone take Zoloft? Anyone gain weight from it? Other side affects. Starting it today and hoping this doesn't make my weight loss any harder than it has become for me!
ANY information would help! THANKS!

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I gained weight on Zoloft as well as Lexipro. I also had awful withdrawal after Zoloft =/ Best of luck!
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    it definitely makes you gain weight. At least you found out sooner than later. It also makes you angry fyi!
  • katismiles
    katismiles Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    It hasn't made me gain weight. I've been on it for years a few years now but even when I started it, it caused no weight gain for me....
  • arwensb
    arwensb Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    it definitely makes you gain weight. At least you found out sooner than later. It also makes you angry fyi!
    I don't know what you mean about it making you angry!!
    I was on Zoloft for years. I was not in a weight-loss mode at all during that time, so I don't have any idea if it did or did not affect my weight.
    It never made me angry. In fact, it worked really well for my depression. The only side effect I had was sexual, which is why I am currently trying something else. The new meds I am on (Cymbalta) have not helped with the sexual side effects and they have definitely increased my appetite. I could eat constantly and never stop if I let myself!
    These meds work differently for each individual. Your best method is just to try and see how it works with your individual chemistry.
    Good luck!
  • dakoerber
    dakoerber Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I was on it after my son was born and I did have a much harder time losing weight than when my daughter was born. I did come off in the last few years because I was on it for so long (8yrs) and it wasn't working as well as it had. Within a year I did lose the excess weight and then with diet and exercise I finally met my goal.

Having said that I would not encourage to not take the medication. If it is something you were prescribed for a reason then you should take the medication. I don't know your situation or if this is permanant but your mental health is important too.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    My DR. put me on it to help me sleep. I took it for about a two weeks and I had to stop.
    I got super hungry. shaky, felt like I had ants running up and down inside. Very jittery and restless.
    She told me it was weight neutral, leaning more towards weight loss. But I was a hungry hungry hippo when I took it. Even tried right before bed, but it continued throughout the next day.
    :ohwell:
  • jenna_watsonator
    jenna_watsonator Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've been taking it for a few years and it hasn't caused weight gain. I guess it depends on the person. I take it for ocd and anxiety
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Low sex drive.
  • JennBennett410
    Options
    NOW I am super worried, but I need to take it. Hopefully it wont' have these affects on me. Thanks for your input!
  • star7092
    Options
    :smile: I was on prozac and had the opposite effect. It actually made me feel like I wasn't hungry all the time and I would have to force myself to eat something. I've heard that Zoloft can actaully make you gain weight. I guess it depends on the person though. Good luck!
  • rungirl27
    Options
    Yes, I actually took zoloft then Wellbutrin, then Celexa for post partum depression about 10 years ago. I did not gain weight but looking back I had a hard time losing any weight. Then I got off when I got pregnant for the 2nd time. i was able to lose weight after that pregnancy but was not on any antidepressants. I ran a lot. Then I got injured and could not run anymore got really depressed started Prozac and then Lexapro and gained 15 pounds in about 6 months. Got off of it a year ago and I still have not lost that weight. In fact I gained another 5. So for me I absolutely associate weight gain with antidepressants. I think it depends on the person though. Everyone is different. I will not take them again unless I absolutely have to. The weight gain made me more depressed so they did not work for me personlly (did not like the side effects were not worth it) and I tried many different ones. Also, the withdrawals are AWFUL with zoloft. I had panic attacks trying to get off of it and switching to another. They are not worth it it me. Way too many issues.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I took Zoloft about a decade ago for situational depression. Zoloft worked for me, unfortunately, like all of the SSRI's, it hits some people with side effects, one of which is anorgasmia. Yes, guys, you'll love the "Pink Steel" moniker that my girlfriends bestowed on me but it does make some things an awful lot of work. I did some research on the Web and found that Wellbutrin has less of an impact in that area and everyone was happy after the switch.

BTW, I'm glad to see that you, and other folks here, are dealing with depression. My now 25 year-old son was diagnosed with clinical depression at the age of 8 and I wasn't able to get the right combination of meds for him until he was 16. It's a brutal disease that impacts millions of people. I sincerely hope you find what works for you.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Some SSRI's are prescribed for their appetite suppressing tendencies. My son ended up taking a prescription amphetamine that helped counteract his loss of appetite - he was 6' 6" and weighed in the 180's!
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I gained weight on Zoloft as well as Lexipro. I also had awful withdrawal after Zoloft =/ Best of luck!

Yeah that! Can I ask why Zoloft was chosen for you? Are you breastfeeding?? If not, there are so many others that have less side effects and withdrawal. Most people I know who have taken Zoloft have had weight gain and no sex drive. Then I thought I would need Methadone for the withdrawal!!!! (Maybe a little exaggerated but not much, my joints hurt sooooo bad plus the depression was back twice as bad as before the drugs) I weaned my toddler and went to Prozac and could finally lose weight.
  • JennBennett410
    Options
    Thank you for all your responses. I am on a low dose of Z and I am hoping that with my dedication to my diet and exercise (and it improving my moods) that I will not gain weight on it.
    I am very focused on losing 20 pounds and I will not let this pill change that.
    BUT I do appreciate everyone's support and answers. NOW I know i have a big challenge ahead of me!
    THanks again!
  • BrittSwimsJDRF
    BrittSwimsJDRF Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Jenn, I prescribe it a lot for our patients here. Most of them experience nausea, dry mouth, or anorexia, much more so than weight gain or hunger. The better you sleep, the easier it is to keep down the stress hormones, which can help with weight loss. I think you'll be just fine!
  • JennBennett410
    Options
    THANKS! I appreciate hearing that. I haven't slept in a LONG LONG TIME!
  • mmehall
    Options
    How did you withdrawal form Zoloft- I have gained 10 lbs despite eating 1200 cal and exercising 3 x week (45 min on elliptical)
  • caffeinekandie
    Options
    I just started Zoloft (9 days) and started exercising again. And I've lost weight.

Everyone responds to meds differently-and sometimes you have different reactions to the same med. I took Effexor twice, the first time I gained a good 60lbs, the second time I took it for 3 weeks and lost 15lbs.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I was on sertraline for one year and I didn't experience weight gain. I was eating at a deficit or maintenance while taking it, so sometimes I even lost weight when I put my mind to it but mostly nothing changed because my eating habits didn't change. Typically, with antidepressants and loads of other medications, weight gain occurs when someone too depressed to eat gets a mood lift from their medication and begins to eat significantly more, and not from the actual pill itself. As long as you're diligent and log everyday, you should be okay.