how high is too high of a Heart Rate

Options
Every morning I wake up early, take a 5 - hour energy and go to the gym for a run / weights / circuit. Today as usual I did the same and as I am running today I notice that my heart is about to beat out of my chest.

I have my HRM which said that my HR was at 80% which is normal for the level of running that I am doing. So when I felt that my heart was beating too fast, I started to take deep breathes and I was just walking briskly and sometimes even slower than that. My calorie count was excellent for the effort that I was putting in which I am taking to be another sign of a fast HR. It took me a good 15 mins to get to 30% of my HR.

Mind you a few weeks ago, I had to work out like a beast just to get my HR to be around 60% and now without breaking a major sweat my heart is about to beat out of my chest.

Being 31 yrs old, my HR during exercise should be 153, unless I have the calc wrong.

Anyways, anyone else went through this. Any explanations.. or am I just crazy:D I do not understand a lot about HR's, never cared really, all i care for is the calorie count (if sweat doesn't drip from my face then I do not consider what I am doing a workout:) . But I must admit, I was a little scared today and just decided to take it easy.

I was sick last week and I was not working out as intensely as I usually do, so is this the reason for a fast HR? Does the body adapt that fast?

Replies

• RRT_RCP
    RRT_RCP Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    The 5 hour energy drink can cause your heart rate to increase. So when using it while working out, it can make your heart rate go above what is normal to you during a workout.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Anything over the 90% zone is too high... which for you would be in the 170 range. Anything in the 150-160 range during a hard workout is very normal.
  • sarahricks
    sarahricks Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Are you taking any medication that could contribute to it? I know my husbands astma medication will cause his heart to beat really fast at times. He's seen it go as high as 230 while using the HRM.
  • sryan8408
    Options
    Schedule an app. with your doc and talk to him or her about it. When it comes to the heart, you can't mess around
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    Heart rate fluctuation can be a sign of "over reaching" which differs from "over training", and is usually the result of lots of working out, and not enough sleep.

Ditch the energy drink and go to be earlier? Kaveman's advice.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about the HR till I get close to passing out. :bigsmile:
  • Cjryan731
    Cjryan731 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If your heart rate has started to respond differently to exercise, you should see a doctor.

Generally, your heart rate during exercise depends on your age and individual genetic factors. The most accurate formula to get your target heart rate is (207-(age*.07))*(desired percent). The formula is a little more tricky than the 220-age, but it is much more accurate. Keep in mind that everyone is an individual, and the only way to get your true maximum heart rate is to do a VO2max test at your local hospital or university.
  • ninjapixie87
    ninjapixie87 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    This may be a dumb question, but why is it bad to have a high heart rate when you work out? What does it do?

And how high is TOO high? I calculated my max to be around 190-195, so my target workout range would be about 140-170. But when I feel like I'm getting a good workout that makes me sweat, my heart rate is often up around 180-185.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I am 34 and exercise with a HR of about 168 average when running.
  • timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    This may be a dumb question, but why is it bad to have a high heart rate when you work out? What does it do?

And how high is TOO high? I calculated my max to be around 190-195, so my target workout range would be about 140-170. But when I feel like I'm getting a good workout that makes me sweat, my heart rate is often up around 180-185.

i'm so with you, but today i just felt like my HR would not slow down. Usually if i slow down or get tired, my HR slows as usual, but today, even when I was walking slow, my HR was still high for the effort i was exerting. This is the first time this happened to me and I just was not sure how to react other than to breathe and walk slowly.
  • timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Heart rate fluctuation can be a sign of "over reaching" which differs from "over training", and is usually the result of lots of working out, and not enough sleep.

Ditch the energy drink and go to be earlier? Kaveman's advice.

makes sense!! thanks