kilocalorie.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    so thats less then an actual calorie?
  • Moonblood
    Moonblood Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to figure out kcals too. I got a drink that was in kcals and all the online converters don't give conversions that make sense.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    My daughter just did this as a science project.

CORRECTION: A kilocalorie is 100 times LARGER than a calorie.
  • ronjaa
    ronjaa Posts: 65
    Options
    kcal = calories
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    kilocalorie.

Same thing as what we commonly know as a calorie. No conversion needed
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    kilocalorie.

Also known as a food calorie. The calories listed on food labels are actually kilocalories or Calories. Imagine if your banana was 121,000 calories instead of 121 Calories. :smile:
  • amayzingamanda
    amayzingamanda Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    most nutrition labels list Calories (with a capital C) which is the same as kcal or kilocalories.
    A calorie is actually a small unit of energy.

1,000 calories (with a small "c") = 1 kcal or 1 Calorie (capital "C")
  • curlyclo
    curlyclo Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    On food packaging kcal and Cal are used interchangeably.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    My daughter just did this as a science project. A kilocalorie is 100 times smaller than a calorie. Its called a small calorie, and calories are large calories.

Wrong, a Kilocal is 1,000 times more than a cal.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    My daughter just did this as a science project. A kilocalorie is 100 times smaller than a calorie. Its called a small calorie, and calories are large calories.

Yes... just corrected that. I knew it sounded wrong when I posted it.
  • evil_rider
    Options
    Anyone knows what that means?

Allow me: http://bit.ly/sZuyZY
  • ronjaa
    ronjaa Posts: 65
    Options
    kcal is really the same thing as calories. you can find kcal written on packages because it's shorter than calories. no conversations needed.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Yup, just like a kilometer is 1000 meters, and a kilogram is 1000 grams, a kilocalorie (or Calorie) is 1000 calories.
    A calorie is defined as the amount of energy required to heat 1 gram of water by 1 degree celsius.

On food they always mean kilocalories even if they don't say "kilocalorie" or "kcal" or capitalize the Calorie. The calorie is just too small a unit of measure.
  • twilight_princess
    twilight_princess Posts: 270 Member
    Options

Echo this! But what everyone knows as a calories is a kcal. A real calorie is so small that it gets multiplied by 1000 to have a capital C or kcal but scientists generally use metric joules instead.
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    thats the name of a local tv station. channel 9. where all the lakers road games are televised. :)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Yup, just like a kilometer is 1000 meters, and a kilogram is 1000 grams, a kilocalorie (or Calorie) is 1000 calories.
    A calorie is defined as the amount of energy required to heat 1 gram of water by 1 degree celsius.

On food they always mean kilocalories even if they don't say "kilocalorie" or "kcal" or capitalize the Calorie. The calorie is just too small a unit of measure.

My daughter did this as a science project. It was kind of neat, but a little messy.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Anyone knows what that means?

Allow me: http://bit.ly/sZuyZY

That's funny and cool! I've never seen that before. Kinda gets the point across though, doesn't it? Haha
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    yes... 1000calories. I.e one nutritional calorie (food measured in KCals not calories on packaging as calorie such a small unit of energy.... like the joule)
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    SI unit for energy is joules btw...