Tips to curb sugar cravings, HELP!

Options
Will power is extinct! I crave sugar all day. Has anyone had this issue?? Any tips to kick this bad habit. The fact that I give in, drives me crazy! Please, help!

Replies

• n3wlif3styl3
    Options
    Will power is extinct! I crave sugar all day. Has anyone had this issue?? Any tips to kick this bad habit. The fact that I give in, drives me crazy! Please, help!

do you eat fruit? I feel like that helps sometimes and it's more natural sugars. But I struggle with this so much too!!

I try chewing gum too.
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Ghiradelli Intense Dark Chocolate....so darn good and really has little sugar!!! HTH!
  • FellowStriver
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/post/new/408429-tips-to-curb-sugar-cravings-help

I have the same problem - hope you can access this topic - it really helped me - I keep it under favorites.
  • kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 212
    Options
    Ohhhh I so understand. I have good days and bad days but what seems to work for me is a balanced snack (instead of the junk). For example yogurt with fresh fruit, or cheese and fruit or the odd one that has now cured my "just got home from work snack attack" is a small veggie burger and an apple.

Good luck I know how hard this is!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Is your food diary accurate? If so, then you're craving sugar because you're starving. A few hundred net calories a day is no way to live.

Anyway, assuming your food diary is not accurate and that you're eating a lot more than you're logging, I would suggest having some natural sugar like fruit.
  • Mary2270
    Options
    I have found that I really have to limit my white flour and sugars over all or I go crazy craving sugar and other fattening items. The first week cutting back, I was a little shaky and tired, but after a week, I didn't have the cravings and my cravings are almost extinct. I have a personal motto that helps me, "Is eating __________ really worth my peace of mind, NO! I don't think so!"

Also having a balanced diet helps also.
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Ghiradelli Intense Dark Chocolate....so darn good and really has little sugar!!! HTH!

Yes.. Very dark chocolate, just a few pieces is great for this.
    I have Green and Black's Maya chocolate (which has a bit of orange in it). 6 pieces is about 100 calories. I wouldn't want to eat any more either as it is so rich!

you'll find sugar cravings go away eventually as you eat less refined sugar foods over time.
  • coachkathrynw
    coachkathrynw Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I drink Shakeology once a day to get rid of my cravings. Really works for me.
  • RoyalLadySanders
    Options
    For me...I noticed that if I eat a green apple first thing in the morning it changes what my body desires throughout the day. I just started on this journey but I can't go without my green apple....it has helped significantly!!

Also, you may try grabbing a piece of gum when you're craving sugar.
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    have your iron checked if its low you will crave sugar BC your blood is low, I am anemic and I crave sugar when my blood is low. My doc was dumb but the nurse was smart and knew it was low blood that was causing my sugar cravings hope this helps.
  • samiam199
    samiam199 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You'll get through it eventually. I found mine only last a couple days. Sugar free gum helps tons!
  • curiositycat
    curiositycat Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Five days ago I started eating 40% of my calories as carbs, 30% as protein, and 30% as good fats. From day 1 my sugar cravings completely went away! I have a TOTAL sweet tooth, so it's pretty unbelievable, but by keeping my insulin levels steady throughout the day, my body isn't screaming for starches and sugar anymore. Yay!
  • RecklessRascal
    Options
    I use to have cravings too, but in the end it all comes down to your mind.
    What I do is realize I have some goals I need to meet and they are on a deadline.
    By falling into your cravings not only do you set yourself back but your deadline is of no good unless it was a one time thing.
    Think of all the time you have invested into your goals.
    Like they said in this post, fruit's natural sugars help control the balance.
    If you try the ATKINS diet your body will eventually lose all cravings.
    I have no cravings. I feel in the most control of my life.
    Good luck on that though.
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I have a huge sweet tooth. I find that a chocolate whey protein shake does the trick for me. I have one every morning and resist all sweets throughout the day. If I DO get a craving, I will get some fruit
  • Salinat
    Options
    Thanks for all the wondeful replies. I eat mostly gluten free. Approx 1200-1500 calories a day. Trying to get better at logging everything! I have been severely anemic in the past. Never realized this could be the culprit! I'm pretty fit, physically. The out of control sugar consumption is frustrating. I'm trying to stay motivated!
  • geckofli
    geckofli Posts: 155 Member
    Options

I also struggle as you can tell from my diaries, I've swapped aeros and bags of lollies for littl freddo's
    It's a nightshift thing for me, but yeah I struggle too
  • nurseygirl66
    nurseygirl66 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I get sugar cravings with ANY carbs, even oatmeal. If I focus on protein, then carbs I do better. Concentrated sweets are a no-no. When you crave those, try a pickle spear or two instead. It works!! :bigsmile:
  • Galletakek
    Options
    try Protein PeanutButter Cups! Youtube it :) ..all you need is
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder
    Peanut Butter (natural)
    cocoa (sugar free)
    stevia - dont need it if you use muscle milk chocolate protein
    water / low fat milk
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    just have a taste of what you want. a piece of chocolate, a table spoon of peanut butter, or a piece of candy. just dont over do it.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    bell peppers