Ninja Blender

Options
outtanms
outtanms Posts: 237 Member
Do you have one of these? If so do you have any good smoothie recipes. I have never made a smoothie in my life, but it is time to change all of that so if you have a good recipe send it my way, please.

Replies

• SWilland
    SWilland Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    My parents just got one for me for X-mas yesterday! (got it early)

I usually use low-fat vanilla yogurt and frozen fruit. (My grocery store caries a variety of mixes to choose from)

Add about half of the personal cup in frozen fruit first and then add in the yogurt, that way when you flip it over to blend the frozen fruit is not on the bottom and the blender doesn't get all bound up :)

I tried one today with frozen banana and low fat milk with touch of honey and that was also pretty darn good.

Let me know if you find any awesome combos.

As a side suggestion I used it last night to make some fresh salsa... yum!
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    Options
    1/2 sweet potato, microwaved and cooled
    1/4 c pineapple
    1/3 c mandarin oranges
    1 banana
    1/3 c coconut milk
    1/3 c almond milk
    ground flax
    ice cubes

Place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    Options
    1/2 c frozen dark cherries
    1 container Yoplait Light Apricot Mango yogurt (can freeze in ice cube tray)
    1/3 c POM Wonderful pomegranate juice
    1 TBS ground flax

Place in blender and blend until creamy smooth.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i have a ninja and i love it :) i usually just throw in whatever i have lol
    yesterday i made a smoothie with an avocado, frozen banana, pomegranate seeds, greek yogurt and blackberries.

frozen berries + a splash of fruit juice and yogurt is great too
  • grayfox564
    Options
    I have a vitamix and you pretty much add any fruit, vegeis, ice, and yogurt. You don't even taste the veggies. I've used spinach,peppers,beets,asparagus my favorite, and they all tasted great with fruit.
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    Options
    One blend that really surprised me by how good it is: peel and add 1 whole orange, 1-2 carrots, 1 beet (with tops). Add 1" knob of ginger. If there isn't enough juice, add another orange. This is very sweet, and you won't know you're drinking veggies!
  • coachkathrynw
    coachkathrynw Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    OMG, I'm asking for a new blender for Christmas. I was thinking of the Ninja Blender (not the one that is a food processor too). What do people think of the Ninja Blender? I want a good blender that will really crush ice. My current one leaves big chunks of ice.
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I do have a ninja and use it for everything! (The appliance....not my 2 legged, ninja, he does lots too though) When I make smoothie's I really just open the fridge/freezer and throw in whatever sounds good. I freeze containers of yorgurt for a base then add anything and everything!
  • 2bebetter2019
    2bebetter2019 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes! I just purchased one of these! I put Myoplex whey in with my fruit as an afternoon snack. The extra protein holds me over until the evening meal and it tastes fantastic! The blender is amazing! Everyone should have one! I am searching my frig for anything to throw in mine just to see what it does! It's so much fun!
  • 2bebetter2019
    2bebetter2019 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you are in a hurry or not really creative with foods check out the frozen section for already pre-package smoothies made by Yoplait and Jamba juice. The calories are low and they all have 2 - 8oz. servings in each. I use these frequently as we have a busy household and this is fast and convenient for me. Substitute the apple juice for water and use skim milk, also for extra protein use the whey or soy (I use the powder whey) for additional protein to fill me up and additional nutrition. I also like that I can see the nutritional value on the packaging.
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I love my ninja!
    we buy the big bag of frozen strawberries and the festival mix (pineapple strawberry mango etc) froze fruit from costco, fill the blender then add enough diet soda (sun drop is my fav) to cover the fruit and then blend!!! its super low calorie since its JUST fruit and diet soda and delicious. I've also added emergen-C powder to it or used diet energy drinks like redbull or rockstar instead of the soda.
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    OMG, I'm asking for a new blender for Christmas. I was thinking of the Ninja Blender (not the one that is a food processor too). What do people think of the Ninja Blender? I want a good blender that will really crush ice. My current one leaves big chunks of ice.

I have the ninja that comes w/ the pitcher as well as the small food processor container (awesome for salsa). the ninja when used on the pitcher annhilates ice just like margaritas at restraunts, yum!
  • hoycano
    Options
    I use my ninja for making all my smoothies. I just dump everything in and ninja. I cam across a smoothie recipe awhile ago that caught attention. I was a little nervous about how it would taste, but once I tried it I was completely sold. I have this for breakfast on most mornings and it pretty much holds me until lunch. Let me know what you think

Coach Green's So Green Smoothie
    Ingredients [ View Metric ]
    1/2 cupfiltered water (tap water is okay)
    1 1/2 cupsgreen grapes
    1/2 green apple
    1/2 avocado (use whole avocado for creamier smoothie)
    1/2 cup kale
    1/2 cup spinach
    1 scoop whey protein powder (I use 6lb bag of protein powder form Costco, by same people who make Muscle Milk)
    1 cup ice
  • ruggedBear
    Options
    I know fruit is the key ingredient in a smoothie, but I found it just added too many carbs every day. Here's my favorite breakfast (I always work out in the morning, so I want to boost protein soon after):

Strawberry Milkshake
    1/2 c. Chobani Vanilla Non-Fat yogurt
    3-4 strawberries
    1/2 c. Silk Vanilla Lite Soymilk
    1/2 c. crushed ice
    1 scoop Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey powder - Vanilla Ice Cream flavor (replaced the banana I was putting in every day)

Yield: 16oz (it whips up really fluffy)
    250 calories
    17g carbs
    3g fat
    38g protein

I can't say enough about this whey powder - I have never found one that disappeared like this one - it's even good when mixed with plain water. Happy blending!:smile:

11894292.png Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • erzille
    erzille Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • no_where1976
    no_where1976 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Love my ninja - This protein smoothie is my go-to meal replacement when I'm in a rush. It's the best damn smoothie I've ever had - and I've tried a LOT of protein shakes in my time. It's super filling, very healthy, and loaded with deliciousness.Try it - you won't be disappointed.

Layer into your medium bowl (40oz, I think)

-70g baby spinach, raw
    -31g chocolate whey isolate powder - any brand
    -5g (1 Tbsp) unsweetened cocoa
    -15g (1 Tbsp) Natural PB
    -140g frozen unsweetened strawberries
    -70g frozen unsweetened blueberries
    -8oz almond milk
    a few splashes of water to help it mix

Blend for a minute, scrape down the sides, and blend another minute. It's thick enough to eat with a spoon and will take you a good 15 minutes to finish. Fills my GNC Shaker cup right to the top (24oz?) and costs me about 375 calories. The spinach adds great substance and you can't taste it at all. The chocolate and fruit go really well together and I love the taste of PB! It's allllll good! :bigsmile:
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    bump,

i have been wanting a ninja blender for awhile.
  • swchapman
    Options
    I know fruit is the key ingredient in a smoothie, but I found it just added too many carbs every day. Here's my favorite breakfast (I always work out in the morning, so I want to boost protein soon after):

Strawberry Milkshake
    1/2 c. Chobani Vanilla Non-Fat yogurt
    3-4 strawberries
    1/2 c. Silk Vanilla Lite Soymilk
    1/2 c. crushed ice
    1 scoop Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey powder - Vanilla Ice Cream flavor (replaced the banana I was putting in every day)

Yield: 16oz (it whips up really fluffy)
    250 calories
    17g carbs
    3g fat
    38g protein

I can't say enough about this whey powder - I have never found one that disappeared like this one - it's even good when mixed with plain water. Happy blending!:smile:

11894292.png Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter