feet falling asleep while running

Options
when i run or work out on the elliptical, the front of my feet fall asleep (as well as my toes). they feel all tingly. i've tried different shoes, but it doesn't matter. does anyone know why this happens?

Replies

• maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    sounds like either you have your shoes laced too tight or too narrow.
  • kit548emt
    Options
    If it's not your shoes or socks that are too tight it could be a blood circulation issue, have you had a checkup recently?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too. I asked my doctor and she said it's not uncommon and usually from repeatedly putting pressure on a nerve. She said not to worry about it as long as it goes away when you stop the repeated pressure.
  • hopebuck
    hopebuck Posts: 138
    Options
    happens to me on the elliptical as well. I dont' think there is anyting wrong. does it stop after a while? I honestly think it is how you are holding your feet.... or somehting like that... :)
  • reneehend
    Options
    You may need to go up a size. I wear an 8 shoe but need a 9 running shoe. Had the same problem until I got a bigger running shoe.
  • curlyclo
    curlyclo Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I don't know why but this happens to me too. Only on the elliptical, not with running. My shoes aren't tight at all. What I think it is is my toes pushing up on the front of the foot-holder part. I don't know though lol.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    It's your shoes. Running shoes should be purchased a half size bigger. loosen up your laces.
  • horror_hamster
    Options
    there have been several forum posts about this. Ditto what bcattoes said and also, a solution would be to move your feet around as much as possible when using the elliptical -- like, go up on the balls of your feet while you 'pedal'. This not only helps keep the blood flowing well, but also gets in some calf exercises!
  • katisabanana
    katisabanana Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    i usually wear a 6.5 and i bought these runners a size 8! so its not that my shoes are too small. but ya, it stops when i stop. thanks guys.
  • clintondene
    clintondene Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too. Basically you need to keep the laces loose at the toe end cuz you have nerves that don't like to be to tight, especially when your flexing your whole foot at long periods of times. Keep the laces tight at the tied end and your foot will be able to adjust to the extra slack and space. I also found that if im on the elliptical i'll start to go backwards just to change up the cycle of blood and work. hope that helps.
  • aunty_gaga
    aunty_gaga Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Might sound wierd, but I wear jandals on the elliptical. I think jandals are flip flops in America and thongs in Austrailia? I'm from New Zealand and we call them jandals if anyone is confused!! :wink:
  • saraannefrazer
    saraannefrazer Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    i had that and then realised my shoe laces had tightened as son as i un threaded them and re did them looser the problem was fixed!
  • Lizmhoughton
    Lizmhoughton Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    when i run or work out on the elliptical, the front of my feet fall asleep (as well as my toes). they feel all tingly. i've tried different shoes, but it doesn't matter. does anyone know why this happens?

I find that it helps if I constantly remind myself to push down with my heels- for the elliptical. I think I have poor circulation and that's why it happens. Today some of my middle toes on my left foot were numb from my heels. I wear them all the time but every once in a while this happens. I just circled my ankle around for a little bit and it went away. I don't think it's happened to me while running though.
  • pickadilly2009
    pickadilly2009 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    This happens to me everytime I exercise! I even tried going barefoot and it still happens. Doctor said don't worry as long as it stops after exercise. If they stay numb...call your doc.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Mine do this... I man up. And loosen shoes a wee bit.
  • xmalonex
    Options
    Happens to me too...I think its the pressure you put on the front of your foot.
  • Buddhaboy
    Buddhaboy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Here's an idea, just to take the issue of shoes out of the equation
    If this is happening on either a treadmill or elliptical...try doing your work out in bare feet
    It shouldn't hurt you if you only do it this one time
    If it doesn't occur then you know it's our shoes or the way you tie them

If it still occurs, then something is cutting off your circulation, and you might ask a doctor about that

One last thought...if this is happening on an exericise machine like a elliptical...is there part of the machine itself that is cutting off your circulation? I use to have the same thing happen to me on a spin cycle, to find out that my toe clips were strapped too tight and where cutting off the circulation to my feet
    Good luck