healthy burgers

Options
Can anyone suggest a brand that is nutrtion & healthy? I've heard that Jenni-O turkey burgers are good, but I am a bit leary of turkey burgers...

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    What is wrong with beef? I eat 93/7 often
  • harold_IV
    harold_IV Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    burgers are fine just make sure they are at least 90% lean. Eat it on some wheat bread
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Go with grass fed organic beef. I go for the 80/20 stuff myself.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Why are you leery of turkey burgers?

Try making burgers yourself. It's not too hard. Just buy lean ground beef or turkey and cook it. There's much less sodium and additives that way, if you're watching that.
  • justme84x
    Options
    i eat Boca Vegan soy burgers... save the cows!!
  • cookingwithtrace
    Options
    I have been comparing turkey and beef, and so far it seems that if you choose a low fat beef it is very comparable to turkey in calories and fat.

I have also been looking up a bean/beef burger, but I have not found a recipe I like yet, (basically use a 50/50 mixture of beef and black beans with spices and binder to make a burger)

good luck!
  • curlyclo
    curlyclo Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Jennie-O are really yummy! 90/10.
  • afigueroa_pr
    Options
    If you want low calorie burgers, I eat Boca. I am not a vegan or vegetarian but they are very tasty!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    burgers are fine just make sure they are at least 90% lean. Eat it on some wheat bread
    No need to stick with lean beef, health wise. It's a bit more calories when it has more fat, but not inherently 'bad'. I eat my burgers on white sandwich thins. If you're eating a burger...make the thing at least taste good or what's the point? At least that's my philosophy.
  • cathyg18
    cathyg18 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    My husband and I love turkey burgers. We make our own. We take ground turkey, quaker oats, couple shakes of worstechire (sp?) sauce, some onion (reg white or green, both are great), sometimes I use an egg and sometimes I don't, a little lowery's seasoning salt. We prefer to grill them but we have pan fried with just a little bit of olive oil. They taste great on those slender/thin buns that are only 100 calories per bun, with a little honey mustard. TASTEY! We have also bought the jenny-o turkey burgers....they are good but I prefer to make my own. :D It's funny, but my husband prefers the ground turkey to beef since we have switched. I didn't think that would ever happen. LOL
    Options
    Why are you leery of turkey burgers?

Try making burgers yourself. It's not too hard. Just buy lean ground beef or turkey and cook it. There's much less sodium and additives that way, if you're watching that.

This is what I do.
    I don't like the 99% lean turkey. Very dry.
    Just can't replace a good beef burger IMO!
  • gymjimdandy
    Options
    The Jenny-o turkey burgers are great. We eat them all the time on Arnold's sandwich thins. beef is ok as long as it is as lean as possible, we used to buy 97/3 but don't eat beef anymore, since I havce some stomach problems and find it hard to digest. I would suggest a good salsa instead of ketsup also, since it cuts way down on calories and eliminates the sugar.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I make my own, that way I control what goes into it. Its messy, but not hard to do.
  • BeautifulArtemis
    BeautifulArtemis Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Ground chicken burgers. Make sure to add diced onions or it will come out dry. I usually add chili powder and onion salt as well. YUM!
  • jmvane15
    Options
    Don't vegans eat like a meat substitute? Look into that.
  • Victoriav99
    Victoriav99 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I've had a turkey burger once and didn't like it. .... That's why I'm leery.
  • jackvf1
    jackvf1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Here's a great recipe my aunt gave me. These burgers are so yummy, you can eat them without the bun for a low carb meal! They go great with steamed veggies and Dijon Mustard. I freeze what I'm not going to eat right away. You can cook them on a hot outdoor BBQ grill or frypan (George Foreman grill works well too).

Turkey Feta Spinach Burgers
    *(recipe can be halved for smaller number of servings)

2 eggs, beaten
    10 oz. package frozen spinach, thawed & drained
    2 gloves garlic, minced
    4 oz. crumbled feta cheese
    2lbs ground turkey

Thaw and squeeze water out of spinach using a paper towel. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl and shape into patties. Cook on high or on hot outdoor grill till meat no longer pink.
    Makes 10-12 patties
    Options
    I've had a turkey burger once and didn't like it. .... That's why I'm leery.

I wouldn't force yourself to eat it then. I am not really a fan either.
    I have tried a few veggie burgers that were okay
    Beef is just yummy! :D
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    My favourite is just grilled chicken breast in a burger instead of a ground meat patty.
    Or a steak burger... yum.
  • gixy72
    gixy72 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I make my own, that way I control what goes into it. Its messy, but not hard to do.

wish there was a like button.. i make my own too and they are the bees knees