• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with beef? I eat 93/7 often

Me too.
  • cathyg18
    cathyg18 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Here's a great recipe my aunt gave me. These burgers are so yummy, you can eat them without the bun for a low carb meal! They go great with steamed veggies and Dijon Mustard. I freeze what I'm not going to eat right away. You can cook them on a hot outdoor BBQ grill or frypan (George Foreman grill works well too).

Turkey Feta Spinach Burgers
    *(recipe can be halved for smaller number of servings)

2 eggs, beaten
    10 oz. package frozen spinach, thawed & drained
    2 gloves garlic, minced
    4 oz. crumbled feta cheese
    2lbs ground turkey

Thaw and squeeze water out of spinach using a paper towel. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl and shape into patties. Cook on high or on hot outdoor grill till meat no longer pink.
    Makes 10-12 patties

^^^ This sounds amazing! I'll have to try it. Thanks for posting it. :D
  • leopardvice
    Options
    make your own! i got a recipe from skinnytaste.com for AMAZING zucchini turkey burgers. now i add carrots, mushrooms and other veggies and put in less ground turkey. my husband who is all about red meat even gets excited about them.
  • Tiffanyhoward7399
    Options
    I love 96% lean ground beef. Only 20 calories more than ground turkey breast per 4 oz. So well worth it in my opinion 2 go for beef. Some people think with that little fat it dries out, but not at all to me as long as u don't overcook it. We always use that lean of beef for everything. I think the taste is better in my opinion.
  • photo_kyla
    photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    When you cook the burgers, grill them (not of a pan or griddle). That way the fat drips off :happy:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    How are you defining "healthy" here?

I love a Whopper Jr or a pub burger on occasion and those are healthy in the sense that they fit into my calorie and macro goals.
  • 3GKnight
    3GKnight Posts: 203
    Options
    As others have suggested, with ground beef or turkey, you can use fillers like like onions and peppers. As long as you size the patty right, the overall calories and fat are reduced a little, as there is a little less meat in it.

I like sauteing what you might normally put on top of a burger and include it in the meat. Stuff like onions, peppers, and mushrooms. Maybe even a little garlic and a dash of low sodium barbeque sauce. Then use a sandwich thin for a bun.

Keep in mind that turkey burgers aren't necessarily healthier than beef. Beef has a few more calories but a lot more protein.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Lamb burger FTW.:wink:
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Wendy's Baconator comes to my mind. Pretty healthy too.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever eat burgers from takeaway places any more, not just for nutritional reasons, but mostly that they suck when compared to what I make at home. Fresher ingredients, not dripping in fat, but still with all the awesomeness. I love a traditional beef burger, but a grilled chicken breast is great too (try it coated with some moroccan or cajun spice), and slice the breast in half so it cooks more quickly and doesn't dry out. Some lettuce, tomato, dry fried onion and avocado (and just a little mayo if youre feeling naughty) so easy and so tasty.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Lamb burger FTW.:wink:

ooh yeah, forgot about those :tongue: I recently had a lamb mince burger with tatziki, was awesome.
  • 3GKnight
    3GKnight Posts: 203
    Options

I love a Whopper Jr or a pub burger on occasion and those are healthy in the sense that they fit into my calorie and macro goals.

I think burgers are considered on the unhealthy side of the scale, since they have a very high fat to calorie ratio.

EDIT: Sorry, should have said "calories from fat" ratio.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    I hardly ever eat burgers from takeaway places any more, not just for nutritional reasons, but mostly that they suck when compared to what I make at home. Fresher ingredients, not dripping in fat, but still with all the awesomeness. I love a traditional beef burger, but a grilled chicken breast is great too (try it coated with some moroccan or cajun spice), and slice the breast in half so it cooks more quickly and doesn't dry out. Some lettuce, tomato, dry fried onion and avocado (and just a little mayo if youre feeling naughty) so easy and so tasty.
    I hear ya. With the chicken, try pounding it out and then marinate in any spice combo you like, on the grill, 2 minutes a side, tender and flavourful. I gring my meat for home made burgers. generally a combo of chuck and rib, nothing added to it other than sea salt and black pepper, barely handled enough to flatten the meat out and on the bbq.
  • neanderthin
    Options

I think burgers are considered on the unhealthy side of the scale, since they have a very high fat to calorie ratio.

Yeah, most conventional sources will say that, but of course that's just nonsense.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

Yeah, most conventional sources will say that, but of course that's just nonsense.
    Nonsense, indeed. It's only bad if you eat in excess of your TDEE.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

By that standard, olive oil and peanut butter would be extremely unhealthy.
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, I don't think there's anything wrong with burgers per se. When you look at fast food or restaurant burgers and the whopping doses of calories and sodium they carry, they look awful (and are, in many cases). However, a lot of the calories are (a) in the toppings, (b) in the mayo and "special sauce" they tend to use, and (c) in the butter or oil on that toasted bun.

My healthy burger options? For fast food, it's the Carl's Jr. turkey burger, no cheese, no mayo. At home, it's an 80% lean patty on the grill, served on a smallish toasted bun with lots of veggies, and plenty of mustard.
  • jecka31
    jecka31 Posts: 284
    Options
    The key with turkey burgers is seasoning and not drying them out. I like using Jeanie-O turkey but make sure you get the extra lean (some ground turkey is 70/30 which is just as bad as regular ground beef). I mix turkey with onion powder, parsley and garlic (I'm not giving amounts as it depends on your taste).

Also, extra lean ground beef is perfect for burgers as well!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Turkey burgers do taste better when you mix stuff, like onions or peppers into them. If you've only tried one once, I suggest giving it another go. Don't expect it to taste like beef though, because it is slightly different.

Bison burgers are less fat than beef, and I love the taste even more than beef.

Beef burgers aren't so bad, but make sure you drain the fat off of them when you are cooking. I hate it when my meat is swimming in it's own grease.
  • lorjill
    lorjill Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    trying that recipe.